Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To start off, I just P750'd this game today.

Now I'm in the same boat as all of you waiting patiently for this game to see daylight, or more accurately the light above my gaming table!

One thing I don't understand, though, and I'm keen to know (since it's one of the features I'm most excited about, with this game) is how 'Secret Unit Deployment' works.

I understand from the various threads and Kevin's comments I've found popping up around the site that this is a planned feature of the game, but having never played anything with unit 'counters' and 'stacks', as opposed to wooden or plastic bits, I just don't know how this is supposed to work.

A general overview, please?

Also, if you'd be so kind, a few specific questions (should any of you happen to know...)

Will units only be hidden by how I place them when they're purchased (i.e. Will I have to purchase more than one unit at a time in order to have anything hidden)?

If not, that brings me to:
How do I keep secret what I'm purchasing, if I have to place it in a stack that's on the board? Is this a gamer's-honor, look away system?

Thanks, all.
Here's to 750!
-ZZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To start off, I just P750'd this game today.

Thanks for your support, Paul!

Quote:
Now I'm in the same boat as all of you waiting patiently for this game to see daylight, or more accurately the light above my gaming table!

Or some of us, not so patiently...

Quote:
One thing I don't understand, though, and I'm keen to know (since it's one of the features I'm most excited about, with this game) is how 'Secret Unit Deployment' works.

It's really quite simple; let me explain...

Quote:
I understand from the various threads and Kevin's comments I've found popping up around the site that this is a planned feature of the game, but having never played anything with unit 'counters' and 'stacks', as opposed to wooden or plastic bits, I just don't know how this is supposed to work.

I'll start at the beginning, then. The counters used in CoP are 5/8" square cardboard pieces. (There are also chits and markers in the game that are smaller, 1/2" square sized.) The graphics are printed on both sides of an average-thickness piece of cardboard, and then the printer uses a "die-cutter" to cut the cardboard into little squares. But not all the way through- little nubs are left in place, so that the counters stay together until you punch them out. Some people then like to trim off the little nibs that are left behind, but this is entirely unnessary.

CoP is just like a "heavy-duty" war game so far. But there are some major differences. Unlike the latter, CoP's counters have a graphic and only one number- or none- on them. Very colorful, too- lots of tropical colors will be used! These counters are placed in large, 2" hexes (the same size as Battle Cry, M44, and the new Command & Collors: Ancients) that leave plenty of room to grab the pieces (even with my thick, stubby fingers!)

The advantage of counters over plastic bits is their ability to hide. Simply place one counter on top of another in a hex- and you can't see the bottom one anymore. Pick up the stack from the map, slip a counter or three under the top counter, and replace it in its hex- and nobody knows what's under there, except you! (If you forget, you can always pick up one of your stacks of counters, hold them behind your hand, and take a look; then put them back.)

Quote:
Will units only be hidden by how I place them when they're purchased (i.e. Will I have to purchase more than one unit at a time in order to have anything hidden)?

Your pieces are hidden when you buy them, but they are also hidden when you move them. CoP simulates a long streatch of time each turn (about 5 years), so all of your pieces can move anywhere in your empire every turn. Your empire is defined by where your Transport Canoes are- you place one of these counters in every hex of your empire, simulating their constant travels back and forth, trading and visiting within your empire. So, you begin your movement each turn by shuffling everything you own, any way you'd like, under your Transport Canoe couters. With this shell game, nobody else knows what you plan to do! Typically, there is one Transport Canoe face-up in each of your hexes, with a few counters hidden under each of them.

Quote:
How do I keep secret what I'm purchasing, if I have to place it in a stack that's on the board? Is this a gamer's-honor, look away system?

To an extent, it is gamer's honor. Each player counts up the number of Villages they control, and then procedes to build stuff. The newly-built counters are slipped under other counters already on the map. These counters are brought into play later in the game, so there isn't a good way to verfy that somebody was cheating. (Maybe CoP won't make the best game for tournement play.)

One thing to help keep things unknown, is that each player has a Rumor counter. They can add it to their builds at any time, just for the heck of it. It can even be moved around the map after it has been "built". It has no effect on the game, other than confusing your opponents- it's just a Rumor!

Quote:
Here's to 750!

Yes! Onward!

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.