Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Hi you all. I recently bought Power Grid and I tried to play it once with two other friends. I followed the rules for begginers by not playing the 2nd and 3rd phases. So the game ended when one of us fired seven cities.
Is it that simple to play? I mean. The game ended in 45 minutes and it was so easy to win that we couldn't believe that we were playing as we should.
Can we actually buy the number of cities we want.
We may buy a house for 10€ and then we don't have to make anything in the beurocracy point if we don't want to?

Please. Is it a bad game or it's just not that interesting with that begginers rule?

Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only playing to phase 1 definitely takes a lot of the steam out of the game. You should only do that to learn the rules then play the full game afterwards.

One rule you got wrong is that the game ends when someone builds thier 7th city not powers it. The winner is the one who powers the most but that may be less or more than 7 cities.

btw, couldn't it have only been easy to win for one person? Surely not everybody could have thought it was too easy to win.

Yes, you can buy the number of cities you want as long as you can afford them. Remember in almost all circumstances it costs more than $10 because you have to pay connection costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Thank you mdp 4828.

mdp4828 wrote:
One rule you got wrong is that the game ends when someone builds thier 7th city not powers it. The winner is the one who powers the most but that may be less or more than 7 cities.

In a short victory like this (7 cities) maybe that rule doesn't make it very diferent. Anyway I'll try it another time but with a diferent victory goal. The full monty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to delve deeper into what Marshall said.

When you build a house in a new city, it costs you 10 elektros plus the connection costs. Only 1 person can build in the 10 space of each city, and building can only take place in the 10 spaces during phase 1. You can "jump" across a city that's already occupied, but you have to pay connection costs from a point you have already built to get to the new city. In this way you cannot just build anywhere you want for just 10 elektros. After your first build, with the exception of areas that have 2 cities side by side without connection costs, you will will certainly pay more than 10.

The beurocracy phase is the point where you expend resources on your power plants to power your cities. This in turn earns you money based on the chart on the players cards. You mentioned whether you had to do anything during this phase. There is a base amount of money you get for not powering anything, but it's a pittance compared to actually powering the cities you've built in. You would most certainly want to fire your plants each beurocracry phase, but not necessarily fire all of them. Sometimes it's less than efficient to fire them all. For example: If you have built in 3 cities, and you have one play that powers 2 and one that powers 5, it would be silly to fire both. You would most likely just fire the 5.

You definately want to play a full game, as I felt like you did after I tried the starter rules. Adding the rest of the game not only lets the board tighten up and building become more costly, but you also see a wider variety and more efficient power plants. Also after someone has built into their 7th city, in subsequent rounds players may build into cities that already had houses. They may use the 15 space on each city, though the same player may not build in the same city twice. Near the end of the game, the Step 3 card comes out. This allows players to build in the 20 spot of each city, following the same rules for the 15 spots. On top of that, it also makes all plants in the display available for auction, not just one row.

So as you can see, there's a tons of variety and detail missing without playing a full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
locusshifter wrote:
You definately want to play a full game

Thanks "locusshifter". After that full game you mentioned maybe we'll meet again.
Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
It took our group a little while to warm to Power Grid. At first it seems like there is not much to the game, but it does have some depth to it.

Right now, we are at the lose-to-win stage of strategy -- this is where you fight for last place through most of the game so as to have the most advantageous timing on the phases.

Also, we are starting to learn a bit about positioning -- we started off fighting to start in the low-cost areas, but we have come to realize that you want to be more central, so you have more options for expansion in the later Stages (and expanding through the low-cost areas can give you explosive growth towards the end of the game when you want it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.