United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having listened to a recent Boardgames To Go (Mark Johnson's excellent podcast) where he discussed all the play-by-web options out there, I decided to give Hansa on MaBiWeb a try. I have experience with other pbw games, notably Euphrat & Tigris on BGG and Wallenstein on Spiel by Web, so the general idea wasn't new to me. In fact, I had just recently started a game of Hoity Toity on Spiel by Web. I've also played Hansa before with my game group.

I usually don't care much about the pace of a game or who my opponents are in pbw games, so I just created a no password game and it started up very quickly. The game took about 3 days to complete and we were going at a fairly quick pace, particularly the first day. I ended up in third place out of four, and I must say it was a tough game, for me. Never had enough money and only a couple times did I feel like I had some good plays. Timing the end of this game is very important, particularly when you are the first player (which I was). I suspected that the game might end before my next turn, but I was hoping for at least one more turn...which I never got.

Anyway, I must say I was impressed on two levels. First, MaBiWeb is a very good pbw site. The interface is very clean, intuitive, and easy to use. We didn't experience any bugs or problems with the game. The graphics are very nice with the entire board pretty much fitting perfectly into my browser window. Definitely recommend the experience. I'll be back for more soon!

I was also impressed by Hansa. I had played a handful of times with my game group and enjoyed it, but by playing by web I think I had time to sit back and really think about how interesting and fun this game is. There are interesting decisions between trying to save your money for that one big turn, getting markets out there, and grabbing up the good barrels. Typical lots of things to do, not nearly enough resources to do them kind of thing. Also recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too enjoy Hansa and the MaBiWeb interface. Playing Hansa reminds me of my chess background and my understanding of the principles of war.

The modus operandi for Hansa is patience, sweet patience, until the moment to strike is ripe.

Metaphors, sweet metaphors!

There is an ebb and flow to Hansa...the worst thing you can do is use all of your talers on every move. It is always best to leave some money for the next turn unless using them all will result in a nice acquisition of points.

For those who may not know it, Michael Schacht is very active on MaBiWeb with both of his designs that are featured there: Hansa and Richelieu...I'm currently engaged in a 2 player game of Hansa with Michael, which is one more reason why I sing the praises of the World Wide Web.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.