BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Runebound vs Shadows over Camelot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ragnar Iceblood
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be your recomendation for me?

Im going to buy one of these games, for a group of people that:

enjoys tabletop rpg
enjoys shogun/ad. civilization type of boardgames
dont like to much luck type of boardgames

Runebound

[url="http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15062"]Shadows over Camelot[/url]

(crap couldnt make urls work)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows Over Camelot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games are dissimilar in every way but the fantasy theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, of the two Runebound is closer to what you're looking for with the roleplaying aspect (though minimal, but it is very much akin to a roleplaying-style adventure game).

Neither are anything like Shogun/Diplomacy.

Lastly, both are heavy on luck. Runebound with die rolls aplenty and Shadows with randomization in both the cards you draw and the evil cards you have to deal with.

Based purely on your criteria, I might instead recommend A Game of Thrones. Aspects of Diplomacy, the "light area-based" wargame like Shogun, potential for roleplaying the houses (particularly during deal-making), and best of all the combat has no luck whatsoever--it isn't random.

Still, if you're determined to choose between them, I'd go Runebound for a group of 4 or less, Shadows for anything more than that. Runebound is terrible with large groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
I too must admit that both games sound "wrong" for you.
Personally I prefer Runebound and was very disapointed by Shadows over Camelot, because all the theme and nice components just barely cover up a very abstract rulesystem that is based on cards: You need to collect pairs, tripples etc. of cards to solve quests.
That being said, I haven´t played Runebound for months. It is rather repetitive after a few plays.

Concerning you preferences:
- Runebound is much more a RPG-Boardgame than SoC.
- The biggest problem I see for your group, is that both games are very luck dependent. SoC requires more planning than Runebound but in the end you will need luck to win. On a side note, Runebound (at least 1st Edition) often dragged on for too long in the end-game. SoC also can take long, but I never had the feeling of "too long".
- Neither of these games has anything in common with Civ or Shogun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Battlestations or Fury of Dracula. I know from personal experience the type of gamer you're talking about and I can pretty much guarantee those would be hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragnar Iceblood
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
I'd suggest Battlestations or Fury of Dracula. I know from personal experience the type of gamer you're talking about and I can pretty much guarantee those would be hits.

Thanks for the answers people, I bought Shadows over Camelot, due to the fact we could play 7 people at once.

We played twice, and it was a fun game. Not the best game granted, and I'm worried about replayability.

We seemed to run out of white cards all the time but the black cards never got more than 1/4 of the stack used....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warlin wrote:
bookgnome wrote:

Thanks for the answers people, I bought Shadows over Camelot, due to the fact we could play 7 people at once.

We played twice, and it was a fun game. Not the best game granted, and I'm worried about replayability.

We seemed to run out of white cards all the time but the black cards never got more than 1/4 of the stack used....

That's the part that's supposed to make the larger player games more difficult. You burn through the white cards much more quickly, meaning those nasty black events you hoped would be gone for awhile get shuffled right back in. In a smaller player game, Morgan goes past and you can breathe a sigh of relief because that particular Morgan won't be back for awhile.

I've struggled with enjoying subsequent replays of this as well, though the guys I game with still love it, so I play along. It just feels like going through the motions for me. Those first three playings, though, were awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.