Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Accelerated Beta League is in full swing, but prior to that we had the Alpha Run that wrapped up on June 30th.

To mark the end of the Alpha League, we're holding a modified tournament. There will be a Corporate Team and a Runner team comprised of the best players from within each faction. Additionally, there will be 1 floating runner represented by the highest ranked player not already among the field. This player may chose their faction before matchups are decided. Matchups will be chosen one at a time starting with the corp team, followed by the runners, and finally again by the corp.

The matches will have the following format:

- Best of 3 games wins the match. No prestige.
- You must keep your faction, but may change your deck between games!
- C&C Legal
- No time limit.

If there is a tie after all 4 matches have been played, each team will elect a representative that will compete in one final match to decide the winner.

Current Score
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Corporations: 1
Runners : 1

The Matchups

Running_Bear (highest ranked, choosing Crimnal) vs Hobb33 (Haas-Bioroid)

The first match is between the two team captains. Hobb33 won the league outright, with running_bear snagging second place. Both of the games were very close.

Commenting provided by running_bear from the perspective of the runner.

Game 1:

Game 2:

Result
Criminal wins in two very close games.

Kiv6 (Shaper) vs Mtgred (Weyland)
Mtgred finished 6th overall with Kiv6 not far behind in 13th. This match went the distance in some really tense games.

Commenting provided by kordan11 (Pavlos) and SneakySly (Anthony) from the perspective of the runner.

Game 1:

Game 2:

Game 3:

Result
Weylands wins in three games. Hara-kiri via Stimhack.

BONUS!
Here's Kiv6's round by round analysis for each game.

Game 1, Game 2, Game 3

Jopejope (Criminal) vs Oshill aka Hollis (Jinteki)
Comming Soon!

Canales (Anarch) vs Nintendom (NBN)
Comming Soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Those where good game and the comment are great.

Good job, cant wait to see the other matchs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I enjoyed those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whooooaaaa, intense games! Well done! HB stacking power is really strong, but crims with RDI is just KiLLER

GG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next match is up. Kiv6 (Shaper) vs Mtgred (Weyland). Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting and close games so far. Go, go Hollis to put corps ahead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
hobb3 wrote:
Interesting and close games so far. Go, go Hollis to put corps ahead!
Me playing Jinteki vs. JopeJope playing Criminal. Riiiiiiiight....

I kinda felt like I was being thrown to the wolves with the opponent/faction pairings!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hollis wrote:

I kinda felt like I was being thrown to the wolves with the opponent/faction pairings!!
I think they are all very tough match ups.

As I watch these games and continue to play my own, the game by very definition as a lot of luck involved. (Luck = Probability Confidence).

The Corps is very dependent on drawing agendas in a particular order.

I wish I were more of a math whiz (or at least knowledgeable in modeling) because there seem to be quite a few more instances where the odds tend to trend heavily towards the runner.

Some examples; too many agendas in hand, not enough agendas once a fort is built ... that R&D is also a complete mystery to the Corps ... and more. This makes the game exciting too so it's not a complaint (though BGG will explode this topic); its merely a state of fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst thing that can happen to a Corp is if you have multiple agendas stuck together in deck (doesn't matter early, medium or late, and mulligan-ing into an agenda-heavy hand is a subset of this). Only a skilled and lucky Corp can score all those points without losing any in the remote server, HQ and/or R&D, and if the Runner gets in a multiple-access R&D run at that time...

Future Proof and C&C data I've collected show that Criminal's weakness, if you can call it a weakness (more like 'wins at 85% instead of 90%'), seems to be against NBN.

This must be like one of those Davis Cup things where the captain chooses his weakest player (faction) to go against the world #1, and hopes to win everything else. Go hollis, everybody likes an underdog!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that corps had to face 2 Criminals.

From the games I watched online, it seems that JopeJope likes to be aggressive, so it hope it will backfire against Jinteki

I did not tweak my decks against Criminals and I heard that running_bear did not do it either.

What about Shaper / Wayland? Any meta decisions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did not tweak my Shaper in any of the games played. I normally run 2x Plascrete since it seems every Weyland I play is T&B, but I didn't put a 3rd in for this match, though it would have helped me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobb3 wrote:

I did not tweak my decks against Criminals and I heard that running_bear did not do it either.

How would you tweak a deck against Criminals? ... My answer; use ABT - I feel like I'm screwed anyway, why not? hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Blahut
Hungary
Békéscsaba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what about the other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like interest fizzled out midway.

Jopejope couldn't get Octgn to quit crashing for him and Canales / Nintendom could never seem to agree to come together on a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls