Rhys Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I've been interested in developing/designing games for years, and had projects that I have worked on during school holidays. However I started work on a project a few months ago that I got really into, however haven't found much time to work on it recently. Despite this I would really like to continue working on it and maybe even complete it and see people play it.

The problem is that the theme is based on an anime that I really like and just thought it would be cool to make a game based on it. I tried to contact the developer of the anime in January, but haven't gotten a reply. I just said that I am working on a game based on their series and would like to know if this is okay.

Another problem is that there is already a game based on it, however as far as I can tell it is only available in japan, and after looking at the basic mechanics I think my idea is different enough that it would be a unique experience, and more available to the western audience. I stated this opinion in my contact to the developers.

I saw that a previous post said that they were working on a table-top game based on a video game, and they changed the theme and decided to go with self-publishing.

I would rather keep the theme I have already gone with though, as the mechanics I have gone with go well with this theme (in my opinion, I haven't gotten to testing yet). Also I am going to university in a few months to do computer game development, so money would be a bit tight, possibly a bit too tight to try self-publishing.

Can anyone help with my situation? Should I still try self-publishing? Should I change the theme, or when is the best time to ask the developer about my game and the rights they have to it?

I am new to BGG and serious designing so any advice is welcome

(BTW, I found this article very informative about the design process. I have also used some points in it to change some mechanics so that there is less downtime and the first player gets less of a lead)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Szozda
msg tools
Hello,
We are coming up with our own laser cut versions of games like tic tac toe and mastermind which we could eventually sell not as a copyrighted product, just as a crafted product. Is there a copyright problem with selling a game that functions like a known game (mastermind) but in a completely different form (no pegs for example)?
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessi Wheeler
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, this is incredible information! Thanks for posting it!

Jessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon d'Audretsch
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the time and effort you've put into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Williams
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
new user
Yeoster wrote:
Yes, I agree with the other replies above that this is an excellent post and resource. thumbsup

My Significant Other and I have been working on a board game, Three Kingdoms Redux, for the past 3-4 years. We started out as complete noobs and felt our way through the design process. Reading through your post, it is quite amazing how much of what you wrote above runs parallel with what we went through.

Indeed, we wrote up our story as geeklists (still ongoing):
We Are Taking The Plunge!
We Are Taking The Plunge! (Part 2)
We Are Taking The Plunge! (Part 3)
We Are Taking The Plunge! (Part 4)
We Are Taking The Plunge! (Part 5)

Based on your categorisations, stage 1 probably took us 1.5 years, stages 2 and 3 about 2-3 months, stage 4 another 1.5 years, and stage 5 has been the last 6 months or so. It was then that we felt comfortable enough with the game to submit it for approval in BGG.

We plan to go the self-publishing path, and my Significant Other is doing most of that work. She quit her job to work on this over the past few years, whilst I still have a day job. The publishing company's name is Starting Player. Fingers crossed!

Edits: Inclusion of latest geeklists

I hope to get on y’all level one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |