Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter Audrey (who is 2 1/2) has lately been somewhat jealous of the games we play with her older brother Devin (5 1/2). We sometimes play Ned's Head with her and she likes to watch Balloon Lagoon, but she's too small for most other games. So last night, near bedtime Audrey discovered a few of Devin's older games. First we had a spirited game of Whac-a-mole, in which many moles met their premature end. Then she wanted to try Hungry Hungry Hippos.

The first couple of games were spent finding out how to work the hippos. Our set is a little stiff and prone to coming apart at emotional moments. Then Devin stopped watching Chip'n'Dale for long enough to play a game with us. "I got seven, how many did you get, Baba?" Devin asked at the end.

"Five."

"How many did you get, Audrey?"

"Sev-" Audrey's eyes gleamed as she thought of a new tactic. "Eight!" (Audrey can't really count, but she knows the order the numbers are in. It was hard to say how many marbles she really ate, since she also grabbed all of mine and mixed them in with hers.)

Devin accepted defeat gracefully and went back to watching TV. The next game Audrey figured out that she could capture more marbles if she held the hippo's mouth open and shoved them in with the other hand. "Hey you cheated," I objected.

The next couple of games she would say "I cheat!" and scoop up all the marbles with her hand. Eventually Mommy got off the phone and made us all go to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.......

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lighten up! This Session was charming. I enjoyed it.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
United Kingdom
Lee On Solent
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Rather charming report. It occurs to me that she could grow up to be one hell of a poker player, so long as she grows in subtlety of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We play on a carpeted floor, which of course is on padding. My 3 year old daughter has discovered that pressing into the floor by a hippo will tilt the board.

At first, my son was outraged that she was cheating. Then I pointed out that she simply found a new way to play that isn't in the rules. This has since become a standard and accepted practice when we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb

I can’t wait till you and Audrey tackle advanced tactics of Candyland for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol this is funny. She's a smart cookie your daughter is. She uses the same strategy I use when playing Caylus devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.