Subject: Our First Game of Deflexion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Glassco
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
My copy of Deflexion arrived last night. I was so excited about it I brought it to work to show off and enticed my co-worker Jim into playing it at lunchtime. We played quickly, not allowing ourselves long think times. The initial configuration is designed so that no enemy pieces are easy or obvious targets, so our first few moves were experimental. After a few moves some targets of opportunity presented themselves and we each killed an enemy pyramid and an enemy obelisk. It’s easy to concentrate on offense and forget to check all the opponent’s possible moves. It’s also easy to forget that pieces can move diagonally. Jim miscalculated and killed one of his own pyramids near his home row. I mounted a threat on his pharaoh. Since only my pieces were involved, Jim thought that he could do nothing to stop it, but I showed him he could move his obelisk diagonally in front of the pharaoh to take the hit instead, or could move one of his pyramids into the way and deflect the beam. He did the former, losing the obelisk, and did the second his next turn. Then it was his turn to mount a similar attack on my pharaoh, which I disrupted by interposing a pyramid and moving my pharaoh sideways. All this time the djeds hadn’t strayed very far from the middle. I turned one of mine ninety degree so my beam reflected harmlessly sideways off of both of my djeds in the middle. The next turn, though, I moved aside the second djed and the reflected beam from the first one lit up his pharaoh to end the game. It was a sneak attack and Jim hadn’t seen it coming. It was a fun game, and we’re sure to play it many more times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should place a small well in the middle of the board for dry ice so you can see the beam in the resulting fog. It sounds like a cool game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.