Popular Tags: Smoke-Smell-Removal [+] [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm going to ask it again. Does anyone have any remedies for neutralizing (or minimizing) the smoke smell from games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all you can do at this point is remember to purchase oven-roasted games in the future if you don't like that smoke smell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
They do make "odor absorbant" inserts and the like. They are normally used for when you store clothing to absorb that musty smell. They can usually be found at Lowe's and Home Depot. Dunno if they'd work for cardboard though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schenker wrote:
I think all you can do at this point is remember to purchase oven-roasted games in the future if you don't like that smoke smell.

I prefer deep fried - they're crispier that way.

Sorry - don't mean to make fun and hijack the thread.

Carry on - those with actual knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The smoke smell will actually go away in time. if you want to quicken the process up I've heard of a number of home remedies over the years that are suppose to help. Some of these are remedies in dealing with collectable items suffering from smoke smells but can be tried with games I'm sure. These include...

(1) Crumple up newspaper inside the box for two days.

(2) Spray the inside of the box very lightly with Fabreeze

(3) Put a used fabric softener sheet inside the box for a day or so

(4) Put a slice of apple in the box for 24 hours

(5) fresh coffee grounds (don't get them wet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suggest Googling for "book smoke odor".

I would imagine many of the techniques used to restore smoke-damaged or smoke-odor permeated books would work for games, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoke-smell? What the Hell are you on about? Do you mean that wonderfully intoxicating smell of fresh ink and paper that only a brand new game can deliver?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have successfully removed the smoke smell from one of my games by spreading out all the components and letting them simply "air out" for a few weeks. The room will also smell like smoke and the more ventilation the faster it will clear out. It takes a lot of time, but the only risk is stepping on/scattering the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bookdeodorizer.com/

Alternativley, you can seal the game up in a box with baking soda or cedar chips (if you don;t mind your game smelling like cedar afterwards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Activated charcoal works for most odors. You can purchase it at any pet store (fish tank filter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard, the air fresheners in this story are pretty potent.

http://www.wku.edu/gg/rumors.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
...snip...

(3) Put a used fabric softener sheet inside the box for a day or so

...snip...

(5) fresh coffee grounds (don't get them wet)

Fabric softener sheets work very well for this! I got two Star Wars mini-3D puzzles from ebay a while ago, and they reeked of cigarette and cigar smoke combined. Two months in a ziplock bag with a dryer sheet worked wonders, and fresh coffee grounds in a piece of muslin (very loose weave cotton fabric used as a base when sewing) finished the job. It's now three years later and they still smell sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
The time this happened to me (Scrabble Scoring Anagrams), I just let it air out in the sun room for months. But I did wonder about an ozone generator. Hotels seem to have them and will sometimes rent them out so that people can run them in their house for a few hours (while they're away) to freshen the air. I had a co-worker whose house partially burned and ozone generators were used to remove the smoke smell (not tobacco, but still smoke). So, maybe you can find someone using an ozone machine and just put your games in the room with it for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Jankowski
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a smoke scented game in a trade once, so I laid it all out on the back porch that evening and overnight (nice cold night). Took the smell right out. Of course you gotta make sure there's no wind or rain/snow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a brown paper lunch bag filled with a cuople handfuls of kitty litter to remove smoke smell from a game. Just leave it in the box for a few weeks.

PS. Make sure you use fresh kitty litter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
I used a brown paper lunch bag filled with a cuople handfuls of kitty litter to remove smoke smell from a game. Just leave it in the box for a few weeks.

But which type? Silica gel, clay, clumping, ... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozone is the professional way. Some dry cleaning places have ozone generators. A vacuum chamber is just as effective if you have access to one. I work in a lab so this is easy for me but I am told that using the bags that you can attach to a hoover are pretty effective too.

Placing things in a sealed environment with a bowl of vinegar is also meant to work but I have never tried this. Sprinkling baking soda on stuff is also meant to be good. Using chemicals on valuble games is probably not to be recomended but cigarette tar does damage print any way.

If the surfaces are coated with tar you can wipe them with a little dish-washing liquid detergent on a slightly moist tissue. This can often remove the worst smells but you don't want to do this on any surface that would be damaged by water.

Yeah, it is pretty annoying to buy something off eBay that has "never been used" and is "near mint" to find it is yellow and stinks. None of the feedback indicated that this would be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

But which type? Silica gel, clay, clumping, ... ?

Just standard clay litter. Non-clumping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The best remedy I've found for both smoke and mold problems is a home ozone generator (which is good to have going in your basement anyway due to the potential for Things that Like to Grow and Spread Spores in the Dark).

Fastest result comes from opening the box, completely emptying out the components (including any plastic tray, which you should wash in warm water/dish detergent), opening the board/mapsheets, and opening the rulebook to the center.

Cardboard game pieces can be spread out on a cookie sheet. Plastic components should be washed as the plastic tray. It might be necessary to turn pages of the rulebook to give each pair of pages a day of exposure.

Allow 3-4 days for the process. All odors should be gone.

In the case where visible mold is growing, wipe off with a VERY SLIGHTLY damp cloth or paper towel before beginning the process.

If you don't have access to an ozone machine, empty the game box, spread baking soda in the box bottom, replace components (again, wash plastic components) and close box. Tie up in a plastic trash bag. Allow three to six days. Discard baking soda. Repeat process.

That should do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.