Subject: Review: So, You Want to be a Surgeon Huh? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Objective: To have the most money at the end of the game by successfully removing various body parts from the patient.

Mechanics: The game has a deck of cards that are placed face down. On a players turn, they take the top card which will tell that player what body part must be removed and how much money they will win if they perform the operation successfully. That operation is completed successfully if the player removes the body part without setting off the buzzer (which also lights up the patients nose) while trying to remove it using the pair of tweezers that are wired to the “operating table”.

Operation is a skill building game for children in two ways:

1. A child playing this game will learn something about focus and concentration while they try to remove each body part. There really is not much room for error while using the tweezers and because of that, it forces children to concentrate on what they are attempting to do.

2. It will also help build children's dexterity. They have to learn to manipulate the tweezers and keep their hand steady as they attempt to remove each body part.

I would recommend that younger children be given a couple of chances to complete each operation. You don't want to frustrate a child and turn them off to a fun game because they can't remove a body part on the first try. I never have experienced a problem like that, but every child is different so it’s a point that I thought I should make.

The buzzer is a fun element of the game because it will make players of all ages jump. Since a player has to focus on the body part they are trying to remove, they sort of get "zoned in". If you set that buzzer off when in that state, you can bet that it will make you jump a bit.

I would recommend this game for any family’s collection. It's a fun challenging game for children, and parents will enjoy playing it with their kids as well. I would give it a weight of light or medium depending on the age of the child playing it simply because I am comparing it against the typical roll and move type games that children usually play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Review: So, you want to be a surgeon huh?
Being a surgeon, I can personally vouch for the educational aspects of this game. Why, just last week I had to remove a real person's breadbasket and in order to get his permission for the operation, I demonstrated how it would be done using the Operation guy. I set off the buzzer a few times, though. Nevertheless, he consented to the breadbasket-ectomy and I am happy to say walked out of the hospital soon thereafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I was crying when I read your post!

Hey, you think Yale Medical School should consider making Operation a part of the core curriculum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Operation becomes an adult game when you have play with the shot drinking variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaaaa-hooooeeeee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.