Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though Up Front has been out of print for many years, among gamers and grognards, Up Front is constantly discussed and often referred to as one of the best games ever produced. This game continually garners a great amount of interest!

With that in mind, I have a simple message for everybody and anybody at Multiman Publishing:

"HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE AND A RELEASE DATE?"

I'm DYING to own this game and implore Multiman Publishing to LET US KNOW what's up with UP FRONT!

Fellow BBGers, join me in my crusade to POLITELY and RESPECTFULLY request more information about Up Front from MMP. Perhaps, by recognizing a GROWING interest in this game (which weirdly enough was supposed to be re-published in 2000) MMP will at least toss us a bone and tell us what's been happening with their re-publishing efforts.

Again, please be polite and respectful when you contact MMP. NO SPAMMING OR RUDENESS. Bad attitudes could only ruin our efforts and sour MMP's desire to satisfy our Up Front needs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does MMP even have the license to make it? There was some confusion concerning what MMP really did have rights to back when they took over the ASL line...

I'd love an updated UPFront with new graphics, player aids, etc. I'd rather have another firm do it though.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over on Consimworld, one of the MMP folks (Youse?) mentioned that after Shifting Sands went to press, that artist would be free to work on the revised Up Front.

Yes, here it is:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@195.Vdiebm3YRsD.11@.ee6d...

Message #37079

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP has said numerous times it is coming (insert quote/reason/date from consim world here) numerous times to keep track of dating back to when I was a mere fart before wind was invented...

Talk is cheap, seeing though is believing.
Once it hits there Preorder page is all Im interested in and I'll be ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tenhoff
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I have to say is that they better get their act in gear. GMT's Combat Commander seems to be a cross between SL & UF and may attract a lot of us old UFs if they don't reprint our favorite game soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In recent years there has been many attempts at the ASL Title- Panzier Grenadier series, Advanced Tobruk series, Lock N' Load, etc. Not sure any will take down the champ but eventually once could I suppose...

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I would throw my support behind this suggestion. C'mon MMP I first saw advertising for this in 1998!

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cktenhoff wrote:
All I have to say is that they better get their act in gear. GMT's Combat Commander seems to be a cross between SL & UF and may attract a lot of us old UFs if they don't reprint our favorite game soon!

Chad Jensen, designer of Combat Commander, actually referred to Combat Commander as a "distant" cousin of Up Front. Read his response to my CC v. UP thread here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97562

I for one was very impressed that Chad read and replied directly to my question.

Either way, my original message stands, "MMP, PLEASE get to work on UP FRONT!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for opening this thread. I really like to see Up Front reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would LOVE to see the Up Front reprint finally see the light of day. I've been patiently waiting for its imminent re-release since seeing those teaser pics on MMP's website many years ago.

It is indeed one of the best wargames ever produced, and can only become an even finer specimen with MMP's touch -- I would preorder it in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Chadwik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once asked an MMP rep at the WBC WHen Up Front would be reprinted. He said it would be on the preorder list in the fall.

Unfortunately, he didn't say which year. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
If it goes on the preorder list I am ordering it, if it is a reprint.

If they try and make a CCG out of it, like some of the old rumors indicated, then NO WAY will I be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think it needs to be a CCG, but it could use expansion.

I personally would like to see it come with more terrain variation possibilities (which would mean more action deck cards), maybe not all playable at the same time, such as wheatfields, cemetaries, trenches, bocage, terrain reflecting weather like snow on hills, impassable rivers etc.. and plenty of generic player spares for each side so that a platoon (nationally accurate) could be fielded in play for the campaign mode game.

Then there is nationalities - Finns, Poles, Minor Allies, Minor Axis, more individual vehicles, a host of things can be added, but it needn't be like MTG where you have to keep 'buying it' to complete the set of this nationalty or have all the german vehicles. They could be one time buys much like the original, taking the first C out of CCG.

I'm sure all these extras would drive the cost up, but I for one would still buy it if it holds the intense quick paced action like the original did and it came all at once (or with a few expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just be ecstatic if MMP just did a simple reprint. No major changes at all. I JUST WANT UP FRONT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
I'd just be ecstatic if MMP just did a simple reprint. No major changes at all. I JUST WANT UP FRONT!
I thiknk it's just not ever going to happen. Wonder how much MMP would sell the rights for? Not like Curt needs the money though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like my MMP Up Front "crusade" has died down a little cry . Anybody else want to "chime in" with us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Balla
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really frustrating and it sorta is a tragedy: MMP has the rights but wont reprint this classic thats loved by so many.

PLEASE MMP print it or sell the rights so someone -even one of us, can print it. Even if you just print it as it was and later introduce any changes ie scenarios or errata, that would be wonderful. Even if you just print the playing cards as they were, and post the counters and personality cards online would be an OK measure until you decide to devote alot of effort to a redesign, but get something going!

After years of false promises by MMP, its sad that the gamers are the ones that ultimately suffer for the lack of enthusiasm by the company holding the rights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anybody else want to "chime in" with us?
No big deal to me. I've purchased two excellent copies within the past year or so for an average price of $40. MMP's pricing is excellent for the wargame market, but I doubt they could beat that.

They'll get to it when they want to get to it, which appearently will be as soon as Shifting Sands gets printed.

They're now very good about not putting games up for preorder that they know they can't get to until they've wrapped up other commitments.

Do you not have a copy? If not, why not? Are you interested in the game being reprinted because you want others to be able to buy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I also have 2 copies, but I really want to see UF reprinted. New graphics,
rules better organized, more appealing to the new players.
New players , more fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
Do you not have a copy? If not, why not? Are you interested in the game being reprinted because you want others to be able to buy it?

I do NOT have a copy. The one I played in my teen and early college years disappeared into that black hole that develops in rooms when kids leave for college.

I have not bought one on eBay because I worry about so-called "complete" games on eBay and have heard horror stories of missing pieces. Also, I'm hoping that this thread, and others like it, might light a fire under MMP to get to work. I don't want to lay down $60+ bucks for a "complete" game on eBay only to hear that MMP has finally began work on Up Front and it's going to be released in a year. Although, I don't know how much longer I can hold out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it appears to me that this crusade of mine to get the attention of MMP has faltered. How very unfortunate. There are apparently quite a few gamers out there who are willing to pay for a new version of Up Front, even pre-order Up Front, but MMP isn't paying attention.

I'm throwing my hat into GMT's upcoming Combat Commander designed by Chad Jensen. Combat Commander is generating quite a bit of interest and I've recently P500'd it on GMT's website. I for one cannot wait to get my copy.

If (a very doubtful if) MMP EVER decides to actually get to work on re-releasing Up Front, perhaps I'll buy myself a copy. Or perhaps I'll be in Combat Commander gaming bliss and Up Front will simply become a faded teenage memory as one of my gateway games into Grognard Geekiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How sad

I guess MMP staff dont read BGG forums (or at least this thread). Maybe someone with a Consimworld account could redirect them here, at least to give an answer (even if negative).

Years ago I sent an e-mail to MMP asking about UF. Never received a reply.

How sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"IF" there was ever a Up Front reprint I would strongly suggest making the cards Poker sized so that they could fit into standard sized CCG protective sleeves.

My Up Front game cards are getting seriously worn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
"IF" there was ever a Up Front reprint I would strongly suggest making the cards Poker sized so that they could fit into standard sized CCG protective sleeves.

My Up Front game cards are getting seriously worn...

Another reason why I hesitate purchasing a "complete" copy on eBay.

Will the original Up Front cards fit into Yu Gi Oh card sleeves? They're a little smaller than normal and you should be able to find them in most FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.