Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Donnelly
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe this is more of a Vassal question then a Twilight Stuggle question but I don't know enough to be sure. I've been trying to play test games on Vassal using my desktop and my laptop, but a strange thing happens. I'll do the setup for one as USSR and one as USA but once the game starts it identifies both players as USSR, or USA...whichever side went second, it thinks both computers/players are on the same side?

Help! What am I doing horribly wrong?

Oh, and if I want to PBEM, do I and my opponent need to be online at the same time to start the game? I'm a little confused about starting the game too.

Sorry. I'm not at all a newbie to gaming. Only to Vassal.

Thanks,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have different usernames on the two computers? Otherwise Vassal just thinks you are running it from a different computer. Make sure the VASSAL usernames are different and see if that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Donnelly
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually found Tim M on the site working on the module. My usernames were different, but my passwords were the same. Turns out the password is used to differentiate between players.

Now, next question...how do you play the Headlines Phase? Do you play your headline card and resolve it and then NOT press the end phase button? Because this, I believe, will indicate youve completed phase one, not the headlines phase.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont press the end phase button after the headlines phase. The turn track, like the original game has no space for 'headlines phase'.
It only keeps track of the play of cards/round, like the real game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Question. I know that typically VASSAL just implements "display logic" and not "business logic". However, there is a lot of logic programmed into the event cards, so I want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

When you play a card for ops and decide on a Coup or Realignments, I see that when you right click a country, you can select Coup or Realign.

When you roll the dice, is it supposed to auto resolve the attempt, or do you still need to manually do this ?

IE, USSR has 2 influence in Tunisia. I attempt to coup. Target number is 4, I play a 4 ops and roll a 4. I've beaten by 4, so Tunisia goes to US control with 2 influence.

Do I then manually deduct the 2 soviet, add 2 US and change control ?

Great module, by the way.

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmarozas wrote:
Another Question. I know that typically VASSAL just implements "display logic" and not "business logic". However, there is a lot of logic programmed into the event cards, so I want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

When you play a card for ops and decide on a Coup or Realignments, I see that when you right click a country, you can select Coup or Realign.

When you roll the dice, is it supposed to auto resolve the attempt, or do you still need to manually do this ?

IE, USSR has 2 influence in Tunisia. I attempt to coup. Target number is 4, I play a 4 ops and roll a 4. I've beaten by 4, so Tunisia goes to US control with 2 influence.

Do I then manually deduct the 2 soviet, add 2 US and change control ?

Great module, by the way.

-T

This is still manual. Vassal contains no mathematical logic. The logic you are seing that has been programmed in, is, as Donald Rumsfeld likes to say, known known's and some known unknown's.

A known known* would be the initial play of the card as a coup. Each card has their ops values assigned to them (eg. 4 ops, value = 4). A relation is built in between the player sides coup zones and the players mil ops tracker. when a card is placed in that zone it looks at the value of the card and a trigger advances the mil ops marker the cards value regardless of the mil ops current value.

If the logic is a known unknown** such as "remove half US influence and add 2 Sov influence to country x" it can only perform the 2 Sov influence part to country x (the known) because what is displayed doesnt matter - the command that adds sov influence is always the same no matter what, so it automatically triggers that command twice whether there is 0 Sov influence in place there or 5 influence as it is not really a mathematical decision. The remove half US influence part (the unknown) relies on division (math)which vassal can not do.

An unknown unknown such as coup resolutions are impossible because it requires vassal to look at the counters to determine their values and perform math which it is unable to do

*if red purge were to be in play against the player executing the coup the known known would become a known unknown - the mil op would increase the played card value only but not account for the 1 deduction of red purge, which the player would have to adjust for manually.

** not all known unknowns are programmed in. check the the card chart to see what has been programmed in. if the option isnt checked or the card isnt listed it hasn't been programmed in.

hope that all makes sense on how the programmed logic you see works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.