Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello solo gamers,
For this year contest
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1002891/2013-solitaire-print...
I am offering a game called Power Surge.

Power Surge is solo superhero card game with collectable living card game elements. In this game you are a super hero using your super powers and skills (represented by cards) to win a duel against super villain and his or hers army of minions.

Game elements:
Basic game consists of basic Power cards deck (152 points worth), basic Minions deck (56 cards) and two supper villain cards (Practice doll and Trollgirl). Future expansions will consist of two additional supper villain each, 8 special Minion cards connected to featuring villains and 8 generic Power cards you can use to personalize your Power deck.

Vassal mode by Chad:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0WBVnUE4NbHS1ZRZWx2ZVdqdzg/...

Each game should be played in 45 to 60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Power Surge, solo superhero CCG - 2013 Solitaire PnP contest (Components Ready !!!!)
If it's PNP, what makes it collectable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Power Surge, solo superhero CCG - 2013 Solitaire PnP contest (Components Ready !!!!)
There is a basic game, and then there will be expansions that should be collected from the internet.
Deck building will be possible once the first expansion is out not before.

What difference does it make if you have to pay for expansion or if you just download it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If it's downloadable, I'm guessing it isn't random, so I wouldn't call it "collectable" as such.
Which, to be clear, is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No random elements, of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
If it's downloadable, I'm guessing it isn't random, so I wouldn't call it "collectable" as such.
Which, to be clear, is a good thing.

Maybe call it "expandable?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saranac wrote:
No random elements, of course

This would make it a living card game (LCG) would it not? Such as The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Android: Netrunner

The idea sounds awesome to me, I will look into further when I have the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Power Surge, solo superhero LCG - 2013 Solitaire PnP contest (Components Ready !!!!)
It would indeed make it an LCG. Although LCG's a trademarked term, I think. Still, this format makes me much more interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Power Surge, solo superhero LCG - 2013 Solitaire PnP contest (Components Ready !!!!)
Jlerpy wrote:
It would indeed make it an LCG. Although LCG's a trademarked term, I think. Still, this format makes me much more interested.

A "Fixed Distribution Card Game" - FDCG looks a little clumpy.

Any other suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As far as I can see, there's not actually deck design in the base set, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read through the rules, I am not sure when I face the major villain. I am assuming I have to face all of the minions first? All 28 of them?

And I start off with 20 health and have to discard 1 health or 1 card at the end of each turn? Do I have that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chad,
No, you face the Villain at the very beginning. First thing you do is to put villain on the table. Then you fight against her, and she is throwing minions against you. Once you win against minion you transfer all remaining damage to villain, the goal of the game is to kill her, you will probably not go through all minion deck (56 cards) during the game.

Yes at the end of the turn you discard one card or one health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, That helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am little overwhelmed by work these days, but I will try to make a PDF play through example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. I think I understand well enough how to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for your feedback then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sat down to try the game tonight and ran into a major roadblock. I can't figure out how much health points each Minion has. The only thing I can see in the rulebook is the example where it says a minion has 8 hit points. But there is nothing that says that that is specific to that minion or if every minion has its own hit points.

Please help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops, Seems that I missed it.
Each minion has 8 points of health. In the rulebook, Game preparation phase, end of paragraph 3, please add sentence: Each minion has 8 health points. Put 8 health markers or D8 dice next to active minion card.

The same sentence should be added to end of Phase 2: Draw minion card paragraph.

I will change this in the rules as soon as possible.
thanks for the tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook updated according to post above.

If anyone notice anything similar, please let me know

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Surge is now available as a vassal module!

This game seemed to have a large amount of cards. That kind of prohibited print and play. And so another vassal module was born. Now go playtest this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here would be my recommendations for cards that need to change (wording):

In general, the card abilities need to be named a little more consistency with regards to Power Type or Atunement Type. In the rules, you break this on the card anatomy. You have two separate things saying that the Power Type is 4. One of those things really should be called Attunement Type and not Power Type. It is very misleading.

It also suggests that the Card Color is the same as whatever Attunement type is level 4. This really needs to be put in a separate box from the Attunement type. As it stands, you are saying 2 different things in that box. So the information is not readily visible to anyone looking to see what that means.

Power Cards (page 1):

Recharge – you need to change the wording on this card. You are either referring to cards that have a power level of 2 or you are returning 2 cards that have the Card Color of "strength". (ie. dark yellow). I don't know which you are referring to.

Strong winds – change to "Discard, then draw 1 card for each power card in your hand that has a power type of 4". This isn't much of a change, but it does make the card's ability more clear and less misleading concerning the rules.

Secret Identity – No idea what to change this to, because I really don't know what you are trying to say this power is.

Power Cards (page 2):

Trapped in Ice – Does playing this card's ability mean that you are taking this card (plus any other card played) and putting it onto the top of the deck? That could create an endless loop that a player could abuse when they use card abilities that let them draw more cards, plus whatever high power attacks that they create. This could break the game.

Flash Wound – Maybe change the wording so that it says "cannot reduce damage done by attacks made with power card level 1 or power level 2". If you don't change this, it means that the minion can't stop the attack made by the power card, but it can stop the attack made by the attunement card. Which might make the card a moot point and become a useless card.

Power Cards (page 3):

Flight – There is a typo on this card. It should say "phase 1", not "pahse 1".

Wall of Air – There is a typo on this card. It should say "health", not "helth". Also, it would be a good idea to add a comma. So "Discard: This turn, card effects cannot reduce your health in any way."

Home in the wild – Another typo. It should say "this turn, minion card effects cannot influence your hand."

Killing Blow – I think this card should be reworded. I think it should say "Discard: If a total attack power of your Power and Attunement is 8, then the minion cannot be immune nor reduce damage this turn."

Power Cards (page 4):

Potion making – Another typo. Should be "or", not "od". Also it might be a good idea to make the card consistent with other cards, saying "Discard: Heal 2 points ...". I think you might be worried that people might get confused with the fact that the card is a Nature Power Card. If that is the case, there is no reason why you can't change this card to something like Fire instead of Nature.

Sleep under snow - see the above comment for Home in the wild, as they are the same power.

New start - change the card so that it says "Power level 1 card". Also see comment about Potion Making. You could in fact swap these two powers as there is no reason why a Color card has a connection to the ability for each of these cards.

Pen stronger than the sword – You might want to change this to "Power level 1 card". Again the reason for this would be consistency and clarity.

Word of Clarity – You need a comma. So "... by enemy, shuffle 2 cards ..."

Super Strength – Use the phrase "Power level 3". Again consistency and clarity.

I will try to make my way through minion cards in the next couple days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, I will check this out today afternoon, fix what I can and try to rephrase the cards you do not understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I had a terrible tiring day in the office, so I will just answer what i can, hope to have more info tomorrow.

radchad wrote:

Secret Identity – No idea what to change this to, because I really don't know what you are trying to say this power is.

This power allows you to use power 1 card with atonement 1 card, or any other combination of cards and do 5 damage to enemy. But if you use power 4 with atonement 4 card you will still do 5 points of damage in combat...
Hope that this helps...

radchad wrote:
Power Cards (page 2):

Trapped in Ice – Does playing this card's ability mean that you are taking this card (plus any other card played) and putting it onto the top of the deck? That could create an endless loop that a player could abuse when they use card abilities that let them draw more cards, plus whatever high power attacks that they create. This could break the game.
No. First you DISCARD trapped in ice as it is written on the card, and from that point on power comes to effect. So no endless loop is possible.

radchad wrote:

I will try to make my way through minion cards in the next couple days.

Thanks. I will implement all your other comments as soon as I find some free time. I really appreciate your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minion card changes (first page):

first row, forth card: Discard 3 or all power 3 cards – change to Discard 3 cards or all cards that have power level 3.

second row, first card: I think you want to say "Lose 1 health every time you play the special ability on a card."

Second row, forth card: Just say "Current minion is immune to Air as well". It is less complicated. I don't think there are any powers that I remember that do Air damage that are not Air cards.

Third row, seventh card: should be "power level 1 card".

Forth row, third card: What happens when the current minion is immune to strength or nature. Does the minion lose that ability?

Minion card changes (second page):

First row, second card: Typo. Should be immune.

First row, forth card: Typo. Should be draw 4 cards.

Second row, first card: Does this mean that the minion also gains health? Or does it mean that minion just simply adds two points of damage when they do damage? What happens if the minion is reduced to zero health? Do they still do 2 additional points of damage?

Second row, second card: See previous card that changed defence to 4.

Third row, first card: Should say "power level 2 card in your hand".

Third row, forth card: Again, see above comments about changing immunity.

Third row, fifth card: No idea what you mean with this minion cards ability.

Forth row, third card: Change to "power level 4 cards"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on business trip, so just short update.
Njam-Njam, one of my playtesters, suggested something in this line for card design.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |