Popular Tags: [View All]
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumours about the new edition of PoF are now official: Dutch publisher Quined Games will republish The Princes of Florence (De vorsten komen samen?) with new artwork and probably new rules. More info:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

The new rule is probably the variant Kramer provided (http://www.de-spellenhoek.nl/spelverslag200106.html - Dutch) on building together. Players now have 1 buildingspace in the center; grids of 5x10 spaces x number of players.

Just when I received Rio Grande's PoF last month...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually quite excited to hear about this...Princes is one of my very favourite games, and I'm eager to see what the new edition is going to look like, and what Herr Kramer and Herr Ulrich are going to do to change it up.

If the changes are merely cosmetic, such as including the variants that he published on the web, I doubt I will buy it. But if they go all out and add major variants like the "we all build together" one, purportedly one of the original ideas for the game, then I will certainly pick it up.

Something to keep an eye on in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frank quispel
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Rumours spread quickly, so it's best, I think, to become a little bit more concise.
Quined Games is the chief editor concerning a new edition of "Die Fuersten von Florenz". Quined Games, however, will be doing the production of this game for the Benelux, and other publishers will be doing France, the German-speaking countries, and -most probably- Italy.
I realize that the Alea-version of "FvF" is a phantastic one, and that something special must be done to get equal with or even surpass this version, when re-publishing this game.
Allthough I won't be giving away all at this moment, I can write you this:
1) The artwork will be phantastic (more colourfull/lighter)
2) The rules for 2 players will be included
3) The game will be international (playwise)
4) The official variant rules, as can be found on the website of Wolfgang Kramer, will be included.
5) There will be added one big variant, which makes the building aspects of the game more interactive.
6) There will be added one extension, with new materials and rules, which will enrichen the game, but....
7)....of course, the core game will be unchanged ("never change a winning team")

Kind regards,

Frank Quispel, Quined Games bv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Evangelista
Portugal
Santa Iria de Azoia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When is it expected to it the stores?...
Can't wait to get my hands on this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Rio Grande be importing this version or someone else. I have never picked up this game, and I was just thinkging of getting it the other day, but if a new version is in the pipeline, I may just wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just creating my list of wanted games (which PoF is VERY high on) and was wondering if further information was available on a potential english release and approximate date of release - I could buy PoF now, but I would rather wait for the updated version.

Thanks!

Rlolar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane B
United States
Berwyn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I saw this before I picked this up! I was thinking about getting it with a birthday gift certificate. Makes my deciding between Power Grid and PoF much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
francobollus wrote:
5) There will be added one big variant, which makes the building aspects of the game more interactive.

Wonder whether this 'variant' will actually be the way I played the original game it still was a prototype?

That game had all properties lying next to each other along the same street:

| A | B | C | D | E |

so that player A could share a building with player B by building it across the garden fence, and Player B could of course share buildings with either A or C...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frank quispel
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That game had all properties lying next to each other along the same street:

| A | B | C | D | E |

Almost. Now connect E with A, and you're there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Important note:

The publishers have now stated that this variant (the shared board) will NOT be included in the new edition of Princes. In its place, there will instead be a variant that will consist of a second auction for characters which will change what the players can do on a given round, in all liklihood increasing efficiency in given categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Erm... Where have they stated this? I can't find anything about this on all major sites---perhaps I didn't look hard enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unintuitively, this was posted in a response under a thread about the game Emira...the information is contained in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/106298
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now this has been contradicted again...and the "we all build together" variant is included again as per this article in Boardgame News:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's mostly symbols on the cards, as shown on these pictures:

http://www.quined.com/indexquestionmark.html

Don't think there's any problem with language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Margerum
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
But they don't show the bonus cards and the prestige cards, that' where most of the text would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
John Margerum wrote:
But they don't show the bonus cards and the prestige cards, that' where most of the text would be.

They aren't that difficult to symbolize once you've found a way to say "the most" and such.
I don't think they'd have symbolized some cards and not the others. Of course I may be wrong, but since a language independent version is (obviously) easier to sell, I think it'll be completely so.
But let's wait for an official answer. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
There's mostly symbols on the cards, as shown on these pictures:

http://www.quined.com/indexquestionmark.html

Don't think there's any problem with language.

There will be. There is less language than in the initial version (profession cards with symbols, as well as summary of actions and profession on boards both individual and central).
Though there will be language on prestige cards and bonus cards (hidden information) and the name of the professions are also language dependant.
The new variant "Muse and princess" is language dependant (description on the back of the image representing the role).
Here and there, there are small writings (below the architect symbols saying the powers of the first, second and third architects).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it be possible to use the components of the new edition to play using the original rules, or are there changes to existing components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
The only way I ever get to play this game is on BSW. I wonder if they have any plans to implement the new version. My guess is probably not, since PoF is one of their less-played games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
DJ Kuul A wrote:
Will it be possible to use the components of the new edition to play using the original rules, or are there changes to existing components?

To answer a few common questions:

- the new edition of PoF is a rule-wise unchanged---that is, not altered, not added to, not taken away from---version of the original Alea / RGG edition;
- but with revamped (and in my opinion much prettier) graphics;
- the only difference and a minor one at that apart from the graphics is the money: of some denominations there are a little more coins, of others a little less;
- with Wolfgang Kramer's own 2 player-variant (which you can find on his site as well as BGG already);
- with an expansion devised by Kramer, Ulrich, and the latter one's son (if I recall correctly) which introduces 7 characters which give you special powers;
- with a second expansion also devised by Kramer & co which allows you to build cooperatively---in other words, make deals with other players. This expansion WILL be present, contrary to what is stated above;
- you can play the original without any strange actions on your part---it just involves leaving material in the box and from what I gather, turning the game board the right side up;
- you can mix all the expansions together;
- to my knowledge, there will be no effort on the publisher's behalf to make the expansions available to the owners of the original Alea / RGG PoF: the artwork doesn't match up to begin with, and the expansions are part of the entire package of reedition, new graphics, and the like;
- you can make the expansions yourself, as no doubt will happen: the characters are just 7 Louis XIV-style personage cards. Cooperative building is more involved, as it requires changes to the layout of your principalities---you play on a different board. But that's all there is to it apart from matters of conscience and the like;
- to my knowledge, there is no English edition planned yet, as QWG do not have the rights to release this game in English. It will be available in Dutch, German, French, Polish, Italian and Spanish, though;

Source: I'm the translator for the Dutch edition, that should be sufficiently close to the source of the entire thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, Maarten!

Hopefully an English edition will appear at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.