Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Designed for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

A long time ago in galaxy far, far away...

You lead a troop of soldiers into a special mission during the Clone Wars. Fight the army of droids and the Separatists with Jedi's, Clone troopers and all your favourite heroes from the Clone Wars.

CW:TCG is a solitaire card game where you assemble a squad of 5 heroes to fight one of the many missions that will be released, you might need to forge a treaty with King Katuunko or save Padmé Amidala from General Grievous.

In order to play the game you need a deck of 30 cards (5 heroes, each comes with 6 cards) and a mission deck (around 25-50 cards, depending on the mission). Each game should take 10-20 minutes to play once you're comfortable with the rules.

I've got most of the rules down and am currently creating more cards and playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(reserved for more info)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll post some more info about the game once I've got the time but in the meantime I've taken some pictures of the first prototype. It's got some beautiful art as you can see (I'm sorry for the poor picture quality):

Two heroes (Thire has been renamed to the more famous Fox). You play with 5 heroes each game, you start with one in play and the rest is in your deck. The stats in the upper left corner are: Speed, attack, HP.

An attachment and an action. Actions take the most space in the players deck and there are a few attachments as well.

Two of the three missions in the first quest, Battle of Rugosa. Each quest will have a few different missions you must finish in order to finish the quest. These will probably be what gives the game the most variety.

Assajj Ventress is the "final boss" of the first quest but before you meet her you must fight a few droids, f.x. some B1 Battle Droids which are fairly week.

As you can see each card has got a symbol on the bottom but those can be used to buff up characters and finish some missions. F.x. if you place a card with a circle icon under Anakin he will get +1 attack. If you have two of those under him you can discard those to give him +3 attack until end of turn.

Each turn you draw 3 cards, play one for it's symbol (not gaining it's effect) and one for it's effect. The third card gets discarded. You'll then draw a card (or maybe a few cards) from the enemy deck, those can be events, enemies or even extra missions. Then Combat happens. 3 phases in a turn, pretty quick.

I've played a few games with this prototype (which currently has only got 3 heroes and only a small enemy deck) and I must admit that I quite like it. I've got some balancing to do and figure out how exactly combat happens (it's got some similarity with LOTR:TCG where the enemy gets cards dealt that can boost it's attack, sort of like the shadow cards). Speed is pretty important, higher speed values mean a character can attack before the enemy.

The biggest problem I've got so far is creating variety in card design. I think the simpler the game rules, the more difficult it is to create different cards since with more rules you can alter more of them. I'm happy with the 20 or so cards I've got but I need much more to create different heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looked like you had progress in this game. What happened? Are you still playtesting it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
It looked like you had progress in this game. What happened? Are you still playtesting it?
Well, time got in the way soblue. I probably won't finish it this year but hopefully I'll finish it sometime later, maybe in next year competition, maybe sooner, maybe later.

I sort of had the basic rules down but I never got combat to quite where I wanted and the I think I needed to make every stat a bit higher but then the game became to mathy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The entry deadline for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is Midnight (MST) October 5th. Will this game be complete by that time? If not, the game will be removed from the entry list but will be eligible to be entered in next year's contest.

Thanks! I hope to see more about this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry for the late reply but you can remove it, it isn't finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls