Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of Ticket to Ride a few days ago and have not had a chance to play it yet. So I went online and played a game.

Initially the lobby was annoying me as everyone was speaking German and French and of course I'm a Stupid American that doesn't know what the hell is going on...

But I finally get into a game...

It was awesome! I got my butt handed to me on a rusty platter but that's ok. It was the best tutorial I could have hoped for. I instantly understood the game since playing is the best way to learn. I know it's not a complicated game... but what I mean is I was able to see others' strategies and why they pwned me and thusly have a deeper understanding of it with one playing online with experienced players than I would get with ten noobie playings with me and my friends.

I wish that all games had the infrastructure to be able to do this! It is helpful beyond anything I could have imagined.

I'm more excited than ever to teach this game to my friends now.

I just wanted to share and see what you all think of this type of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The DoW online games are the best of any online eurogames. I know they convinced me to buy a copy of TTR for my nephew because they were so much fun, so I'm sure that putting up those servers has been a smart move for them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It won't take me long anymore before I'll reach 6000 games of TtR ( shake ) on the DOW site. I guess that says enough of how I think about this game and the on line version of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I was addicted to that as well....it's great fun during downtime at work....in fact...it was responsible for a lot of downtime at work!

I do think online games are a great device to teach the rules of a game. I learned a lot from the Tigris and Euphrates online version. Since the game inherently won't let you break the rules, you learn pretty quick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about to play right now. Other companies should follow suit, the DOW site is awesome. I also like Catan on MSN Zone, but it is not free, so I played only during the free trial. Ticket consumes enough of my time, don't think I should sign up for more online games just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too think that it's a wonderful idea to be able to try before you buy. I created a geeklist, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13526, based upon the success of the DOW for me.

There is a post in there about the potential downside of people playing and not buying, but if you have a great game this shouldn't be an issue.

Another downside would be raising the cost of the games to pay for an online version, this isn't an issue for me at all as I'd rather pay a little more to get the chance to play online. I don't have enough friends or time to play as much as I want, and online helps with both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.