Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever tried modifying the alarm stick or making their own? I recently gave this game to my sister in law and she is wondering about trimming the stick to make it a little easier for her kids. I thought that making a second one seemed like a good idea, but I have never played the game nor seen the stick in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Why make it easier for kids? My daughter started playing this game when she was 5 and still plays it at 7. She does quite well at this game without modification (smaller fingers make it easier to grab the eggs).

You can see the stick in some of the photos here. If it is to replace a broken stick - I suspect a bamboo skewer would be a good choice as it appears to be about the right length and diameter to fit into the egg weight at the top of the alarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Make sure she is not playing it wrong. Make sure she knows that the alarm at the top of the stick has to touch the table for the alarm to be considered triggered.

My sister misunderstood and thought that if the stick touched the bowl that the alarm went off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
kchunks wrote:
Has anyone ever tried modifying the alarm stick or making their own? I recently gave this game to my sister in law and she is wondering about trimming the stick to make it a little easier for her kids. I thought that making a second one seemed like a good idea, but I have never played the game nor seen the stick in question.

I don't think you need to make it easier for kids. Make sure she is playing that the egg alarm goes off when the stick falls *out* of the cup - resting against the edge of the cup is okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on the "doesn't need to be easier." My daughter at under 3+1/2 was already competitive at the game.

And yes, as everybody else has said - unless the ball at the top touches the table, you are OK. Only once the ball hits the table does the alarm go off and the gulo move backwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.