Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it's me and not the rules but can someone explain to me the value of adding tiles to a conflict - assuming I am defender and am going to loose no matter if I add one or all of my tiles? What is the benefit of loosing by "less"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason is to get rid of tiles you don't want and hope to draw some that are more useful to your current position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is worth noting that is not allowed if you are playing "The English Variant" where the defender is only allowed to add tiles to cause a tie and thus win the conflict. The defender is not allowed use (read burn) tiles.

The English Variant is part of the published Mayfair edition rules, I haven't read the Hans im Glück rules so I am not sure if it is included in that set as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding was the "English Rules" was the result of a misunderstanding on somebody's part. Knizia always intended to allow players to burn tiles in conflicts.

Rob: To give a concrete example. You have 2 black tiles, 1 red tile, 3 "miscellaneous other" tiles, 17 black points, and 3 blue points (your lowest color). You see no reason you will need these 2 black tiles, ever, because you already have tons of black points. But you need to place your blue leader next to the blue monument to start earning blue points, which means you want to start an internal conflict to force out the current blue leader that is in the kingdom with the blue monument. With only one red tile, you're screwed! But hey, somebody starts a black external conflict, and (after adding their own black tiles) they're 3 black points ahead. If you just say "I give up" and keep all your tiles, then you're still screwed and you don't have the red power to place your blue leader. But if you toss in your 2 black tiles, you get to redraw from the bag, and you might get a red tile or two, which will help a lot in placing your blue leader where you want!

I hope that this makes sense. You can do the same thing if you have more tiles that you need to win the conflict - you can toss in extra tiles that aren't needed to win if you want to try for a different color in the draw. It's a useful tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also helps run through the tile bag faster and so end the game quicker...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
It is worth noting that is not allowed if you are playing "The English Variant" where the defender is only allowed to add tiles to cause a tie and thus win the conflict. The defender is not allowed use (read burn) tiles.

The English Variant is part of the published Mayfair edition rules, I haven't read the Hans im Glück rules so I am not sure if it is included in that set as well.

Wow, I had never heard of this before. I'll have to check my English Hans im Glück rules - I've always assumed you could "burn" tiles in a losing battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
My understanding was the "English Rules" was the result of a misunderstanding on somebody's part. Knizia always intended to allow players to burn tiles in conflicts.

Just the opposite, actually. And I heard this straight from Knizia while playing E&T with him.

While I prefer the ability to "burn" tiles (as the game is implemented on BGG), Knizia says he prefers the English rule that states one cannot play extra tiles in a battle they have no chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Terminology is important people!

It is "The English Variant" which is contained within the Mayfair rules. It is not the English rules compared to the German rules, it is a variant published within the normal Mayfair rules.

I'll be interested to hear back from Doug if the Hans im Gluck rules contain it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
FWIW, the dutch 999 Games-rules---which are nearly always a straight translation from the german ones---don't mention the 'English Variant' at all: I was taught that you were not allowed to add extra tiles in a different colour during conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
FWIW, the dutch 999 Games-rules---which are nearly always a straight translation from the german ones---don't mention the 'English Variant' at all: I was taught that you were not allowed to add extra tiles in a different colour during conflict.
No, it's not in a different color. It's in the same color.

So if you need 3 black tiles to win, can you add 4? Or can you add 2, thus not winning, but still throwing in tiles? The "english variant" says no, as the defender you can win with the minimum amount, or play zero tiles, and those are your only choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
wmshub wrote:
No, it's not in a different color. It's in the same color.

My apologies, my bad blush. I never understood the 'English variant' until now... Again, FWIW, my dutch rules don't state any limit on what you can play and what not, as long as it's the proper colour. (Should've figured that it made no sense to add other colours anyway!) There is even an example which clearly illustrates the non-presence of any variant whatsoever: a defender, facing a lost battle, still puts an extra tile forward even though it doesn't help his case one iota.

From a practical point of view, I did play with the variant, because it seemed to me and my fellow players that it didn't make much sense in playing tiles when you would lose the battle anyway. The thought that it is a 'free' exchange never entered our minds. (Ignorance is bliss... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.