Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To those of you with some plays under your belt, I'm curious how this card effects gameplay.

"USSR may relocate up to 4 Influence points to non-US Controlled countries. No more than 2 points may be placed in the same country."

The FAQ states on this:

Q. When you move your influence, can you move it anywhere on the board, or are you subject to the placement restrictions of operations?

A. This is Covered in 6.1.1. Events that place, or in this case move, influence, allow that influence to be placed anywhere, subject only to limitations listed in that event.

This seems like it would give the USSR a huge advantage, being able to spread communism to 4 countries ANYWHERE in the world, and subsequently being able to leapfrog from there.

Is this where the USA follows up with a series of Realignments, hoping to knock out the new soviet territories ?

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good card. Fortunately, it only happens once per game, unlike Decolonization

Re-alignments are one approach. If the US played the card, he can wait to use the ops until after seeing where the USSR puts the influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good card. Soviets need to have influence they can afford to remove, of course.

The Soviet player has much less reach than the US player if one ignores cards like this. USA has influence all over the world, but USSR influence is confined to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. So I don't regard this as a game breaker. I don't normally try realignment, especially as I am unlikely to have an advantage on the roll (assuming USSR is playing sensibly). A coup may be suitable.

As USA I would play this event early, because later in the game USSR will be more likely to have spare influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
As USA I would play this event early, because later in the game USSR will be more likely to have spare influence.

True, but even early in the game the USSR will usually have influence in non-battleground Eastern European countries that can easily be replaced. It's worth it to take full advantage of the event, because it's the USSR's ultimate "foot in the door" event. Decolonialization, Liberation Theology, Vietnam Revolts, Allende, etc. restrict where you can place influence, but De-Stalinization allows you to place it anywhere.

Playing the US, I don't want any "foot in the door" events to be played if I can help it. I give such cards a high priority for dumping on the Space Race. The easiest way to contain Soviet influence in a region is to prevent it from getting started in the first place.

In my game yesterday I dumped De-Stalinization twice, once on the Space Race and once on a Quagmire discard. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is a valid approach I suppose, especially if you hold it until round 3 before dropping it. Dropping it in round 1 or 2 just puts it back in the draw deck, increasing the likelihood that the round 3 cards are overwhelmingly USSR events.

A comparabale US event is Puppet Governments, though that is Mid War, mildly restricted in placement and you can't put more than one influence in a country that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even a single influence point can be the start of something big. It can metastasize, if you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it is a good thing to use the de-Stalinization to spread out, however good US play and some lucky rolling on coup d'états can reverse the situation and then the de-Stalinization can actually become a way for the US to enter into these areas too. Everything depends on the stability of the nations involved of course, but this card is sometimes a two-edged sword for the Soviets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
I agree that it is a good thing to use the de-Stalinization to spread out, however good US play and some lucky rolling on coup d'états can reverse the situation and then the de-Stalinization can actually become a way for the US to enter into these areas too. Everything depends on the stability of the nations involved of course, but this card is sometimes a two-edged sword for the Soviets.

If you spread the effect, then coup rolls can't keep up, since you can only coup one nation per action. Spread so that the US cannot get good modifiers for realignment., and he will have a hard time controlling the spread.

Concentrating works in a high stability nation, as it may become a base for you.

I realize that the conventional wisdom is not to place in low stability nations. But if you go into enough of them, you will be starting a number of small fires that the US will be hard put to stamp out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I somewhat agree, but in gameplay it seems that it is difficult to sustain these "insurrections" when you have to also concentrate on fencing in Europe and the Middle East and have enough armed conflicts to satisfy the DEFCON level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.