California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek of the Week: Snoozefest

Profile: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/snoozefest

Geek of the week is an open forum focused on getting to know our Geek of the Week. Join in by asking our world-travelling Geek of the Week for some tips for the travel of life or some stories of his journey thus far.

The Snooze (which is my new nickname for him that is sure to catch on since I don't see his name on his profile) says this about himself:

"My parents were first-generation immigrants: my father came first, for a MS and PhD. He later brought my mother here, although my 2 older sibs didn't arrive until years later. I was born in the US and spent 3 years all by myself - I don't remember a thing. We eventually all got together and ended up in Michigan, where I grew up in a little suburb of Detroit. I grew into a pretty nerdy/geeky kid - into a lot of school stuff (math, all the sciences, computers) and gaming at home with a few close friends (D&D at first, but also other things), and all in all shy and socially pretty inept.

I eventually went off to school at University of Michigan, where I eventually met my wife. We were married within months (no, no kids devil) - almost 16 years ago. She had also played games growing up (the normal stuff). We used to play a lot of online (LAN) Risk and Spaceward Ho! with some friends. We bought Sid Meier's Civilization and LOVED it. I think we found TGOO when we went looking in a hobby store for a game like Civ, or those old games I used to play as a kid - AH Civ and Star Fleet Battles were probably some of our earliest purchases. We found Magic together , too.

After school, we ended up in North Carolina. We used to really into M:tG, but ended up shifting to euros over time. Suffice it to say this: I tend to focus over just a few things. At first, it was reading - growing up, through high school and college, I read fiction (science fiction - and don't call it "speculative", that's just annoying! - and fantasy) voraciously. In college, I obsessed over computer games - mostly Civ, but a few others, too. Also, movies - my wife and I would go almost every weekend, and sometimes watch several movies in a row (makes for a sore butt!). Next was Magic: the Gathering, and now it's eurogames - it is on my mind too much for my own good, maybe. But hey, at least it's fun!

So to summarize: played games growing up, found gamer wife, play games now."

I know of the Snooze (see, it's catching on already) from his excellent contributions to BGG and then from his extremely helpful podcasts that offer a straightforward explanation of various games. Everyone knows that it is best to learn from someone so these shows are very helpful if you are the one who teaches most of your group games. In addition, he's made amazing contribution to our hobby through his helpful Player Aids for Palm and PCs. For a truly impressive list of these excellent tools, check out his profile or his excellent blog/podcast site: Snoozefest 'Splains BoardGames (http://snoozefestival.blogspot.com). He also has excellent taste in other board game podcasts!

He also has an excellent GeekList which chronicles his gaming history:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

It's my pleasure to introduce this GOTW with a few questions (liberally stealing from Mike Doyle's queries to me in some cases) and then everyone else can begin the merciless grilling. Have a good Geek of the Week, Snooze!

Anonymity
I've yet to see your name on anything. Any reason for not letting the community on BGG know your name? Are you secretly G. Gordon Liddy or Michael Stipe trying to participate with the public without revealing your celebrity status?

Also, what do you do for a living? I'll assume you are some kind of code warrior with all the development work you have done for those PC/Palm utilities but perhaps it it just a hobby. What's the verdict?

Family
Your numerous notes mention that you and your wife play games. What games do you most like to play with her? What kind of games does she like? Do you still game with your siblings or other family members?

Games
1. Of the massive number of game you have rated (457!), you have only one 10 - Magic: The Gathering. Is that the be-all-end-all game of all time? Do you still actively play? Do you like the way the game has expanded with seemingly endless new rules and expansions or do you think it was better back, as they say, in the day when it was just the original series through, say, Legends.

2. Your average is pretty low at a 5.86. Would you say that you're a tough audience to please? How do rate games - on your preference or just on the quality of the design?

3. Is Arkham Horror really that bad (Rating: 3, versus admittedly 'honeymoon' 7.44 average)? I played the old 80's one but I was hoping the new one would be good.

4. Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, too (Rating: 3, versus admittedly 'honeymoon' 7.44 average) - is it all that awful? What to make of the comment "too much of a wargame" - do you not like wargames?

5. You think very highly of Mamma Mia! (as do I) - does your favorite type of pizza affect your color choice in this game?

6. Any picks for Spiel Des Jahres 2006? Any games you are really looking forward to this year?

7. How often do you game? Who do you game with? Do they tend to be gamers and BGGers or more casual about their gaming?

Other Media

You mention you like specul...I mean, science fiction! What books did sci-fi fans miss that they should really read? Any movies that fall into the same category?

Palm Development
Do you think the Palm is long for this world? Will Microsoft and RIM destroy it soon (that is, assuming RIM isn't gone ). What kind of Palm device do you currently have?

Splanations!
Your splanations are a pleasure to hear - never would have gotten Struggle of Empires if I hadn't heard your explanation first.

1. Right now, we mostly just get the instructions. Do you intend to expand it to include more strategy and opinion?

2. Do you sometimes wonder whether content should appear on BGG or on your podcasts?

3. I was asked this, too - any chance of getting your wife onto your 'casts like nearly every other boardgame podcast?

4. Do you consciously make a decision to keep your 'casts focused on your purpose to distinguish it from others?

5. Another question from Mike Doyle that I'm borrowing - do you think the explosion of board game podcasts is a good thing? Are we getting to the point of overkill?

It Must Be Asked
Finally - what in the world does "Snoozefest" mean exactly? A large gathering of sleepers?

It Must Be Asked, Too
Do you ever get flack for your hilarious avatar from grumpy users who don't like people making fun of Curious George?

ADDITION:

Somehow, I escaped this one but you won't - taken from the original Geek of the Week postings:

A game I know is called two truths and a lie.

You tell us three things about yourself. Two are true one is a lie. We have to guess which is false. (hints: Try to make your truths the most unexpected things about yourself to trick us. The lie can be very close to the truth.)

Don't tell us which one is the lie til the end of the week.

Have a great week and thanks for your myriad contributions to the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I know of the Snooze (see, it's catching on already) from his excellent contributions to BGG and then from his extremely helpful podcasts that offer a straightforward explanation of various games.

Aw, thanks! And, of course, thank you for choosing me to be the next GOTW – I take it as quite an honor

Quote:
hobby through his helpful Player Aids for Palm and PCs. For a truly impressive list of these excellent tools, check out his profile or his excellent blog/podcast site: Snoozefest 'Splains BoardGames (http://snoozefestival.blogspot.com). He also has excellent taste in other board game podcasts!

Again, thanks! But I wouldn’t call mine a “podcast” so much as just a collection of recordings. I mean, it’s not really a show, you know? But I am glad that some people have found them helpful

Quote:
Have a good Geek of the Week, Snooze!

Thanks, and on to the questions!

Quote:
Anonymity
I've yet to see your name on anything. Any reason for not letting the community on BGG know your name? Are you secretly G. Gordon Liddy or Michael Stipe trying to participate with the public without revealing your celebrity status?

No, I’m not anyone that interesting – it’s just lil’ ol’ W is all! And no, I’m not kidding. Well … maybe a little.

Actually, it’s just a privacy thing. I’m a pretty private person, and I’d rather not have my name all over the place. Heck, I’m a little surprised I even agreed to this GOTW thing! My name is already out there on the web, and it always makes me feel a bit odd when coworkers find it on some website or other. I suppose I just want to keep my work life and my private life separate.

On the other hand, my name really isn’t that secret. I let BGGers I meet face-to-face know my online name (unless they’re really annoying, I suppose – but I don’t think that’s happened yet). Plus, if someone really wanted to find my name, it wouldn’t be very difficult tracking it down using the information already here on the ‘geek.

Quote:
Also, what do you do for a living? I'll assume you are some kind of code warrior with all the development work you have done for those PC/Palm utilities but perhaps it it just a hobby. What's the verdict?

The latter – hobby. I bought a Newton soon after it came out (I think it was about $1000! CRAZY, but fortunately it was a work-related expense) but put it away because it was not very useful. When the Palms came out (I think IIIx was my first), I grew very attached. I tend to be somewhat obsessive, and I became obsessed with these little PDA things. So I’ve been fooling around with them for several years now. That, plus the BASIC programming I did as a kid (I did take a semester of Assembly in high school, but that wasn’t for me) makes it pretty easy to do the “code warrior” stuff – hardly code warrior at all! Actually, the hobby later became helpful for work, too – so I can truthfully justify all that time I spend fiddling with Palms and Excel macros and stuff!

As for my professional life … I think I’ll leave that till later (see below).

Quote:
Family
Your numerous notes mention that you and your wife play games. What games do you most like to play with her? What kind of games does she like? Do you still game with your siblings or other family members?

We used to play a lot of Magic, but she got tired of playing against my “annoying” decks. We used to play a lot of boardgames together (2er), too; even that is less true now. Part of that is because of our different approaches to games: I like heavier strategy games while she prefers abstracts; I think you win by helping yourself AND hurting everyone else, while she prefers to mostly develop herself (she hates it, for example, when people try to horn in on her farms in Carcassonne); I am obsessed with games and would love to end the day playing something, while she would rather watch TV after a hard day’s work. When we do play games together, they usually have to meet pretty specific criteria (see this GL: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...). Mostly, though, we end up playing games with our friends.

As for the rest of my family: they really don’t play games. My parents never did, and I think by siblings sort of grew out of them or something. We’ve all scattered, so I don’t really see much of them anyway.

Quote:
Games
1. Of the massive number of game you have rated (457!), you have only one 10 - Magic: The Gathering. Is that the be-all-end-all game of all time? Do you still actively play? Do you like the way the game has expanded with seemingly endless new rules and expansions or do you think it was better back, as they say, in the day when it was just the original series through, say, Legends.

Well, I tend to rate every game I play (even once). I track my games owned/played on my Palm, so it’s easy to update the database here. I tend to like heavier games more, so the others naturally get rated lower. MtG is my only 10 because of the “expect this will never change” thing. Since I played it enough to love it, but only rarely now, I think this is probably true. Other euros, though, seem more short-lived: there’s always something new that I want to try. I probably ought to move some 8’s to the 9 rating, but it’s hard to know for sure because I would need to play the games repeatedly. Also, Magic is pretty flexible: you can play a quick game, or play in a tournament all day; you can grab a deck you’ve made/bought and play, or spend hours constructing a new one; there’s luck of the draw, but a lot of skill, too.

I hardly play MtG at all now; we haven’t bought new cards in a long time, either. At first, we played and collected. But as sets were released faster and faster, there was no point in collecting (I’m more of a player than a collector, anyway). In principle, I like the constant changes – new rules, new sets, fresh game. But in a practical sense I hate it – old cards become less useful, you’re never on the same playing field as everyone else unless everyone buys at the same time. It’s still a great game, but most groups should probably buy $x of cards and share them, and never buy more.

Quote:
2. Your average is pretty low at a 5.86. Would you say that you're a tough audience to please? How do rate games - on your preference or just on the quality of the design?

Hey, a 5 is “average” so I think 5.86 is pretty appropriate! It’s a bit above average so I am hopefully doing a little filtering when choosing which games to try. However, it also includes some low ratings of common domain games (I rated those after one of Tom & Joe’s shows, where Joe – I think – suggest that people ought to rate those, too). Also, I prefer heavier games so others get lower ratings.

Quote:
3. Is Arkham Horror really that bad (Rating: 3, versus admittedly 'honeymoon' 7.44 average)? I played the old 80's one but I was hoping the new one would be good.

Yes, it is. For me, at least. And based on 1 play. It was more of an experience than a game (although I didn’t care for the experience, either) – my wife, for example, played it with a former Dungeon Master who apparently did a great job setting the mood. For me, it seemed like a cooperative game without much cooperation, it went on too long, and there didn’t seem to really be many choices. I think it also felt somewhat random, although I can’t remember for sure now. If you liked the old one then you should probably at least try the new one.

Quote:
4. Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, too (Rating: 3, versus admittedly 'honeymoon' 7.44 average) - is it all that awful? What to make of the comment "too much of a wargame" - do you not like wargames?

Again, just for me. I used to play a few wargames, a bit. But I don’t like them these days. TI3 has too many similarities (Joe Steadman likes it, right?) for me (lots of little bits, and it’s a combat game). Plus, it has a lot of political stuff (although maybe not as much as TI2?) – I don’t enjoy that kind of game. I don’t do well with those games, either – that’s probably why I was killed first in both Werewolf games I’ve played, why everyone always thinks I’m the traitor in Shadows, why I didn’t like my 1 play of I’m the Boss. I prefer playing the game to playing the people.

Quote:
5. You think very highly of Mamma Mia! (as do I) - does your favorite type of pizza affect your color choice in this game?

No ! That was one of our earlier purchases, and I haven’t actually played it in quite a while. I’d guess my rating might go down a bit. However, it is a fun, fast, light game – so maybe not! By the way, I don’t like pineapples on my pizzas so when you surprise me with a big ol’ pizza pie, make it pepperoni and spicy sausage, with extra cheese. Or even better, one of those weird pizzas like Mexican – yumm!

Quote:
6. Any picks for Spiel Des Jahres 2006? Any games you are really looking forward to this year?

No, I’m not up on what’s coming out in 2006. I learned about Ticket to Ride Markln, for example, only after hearing about it on The Dicetower (man, I seem to be plugging that show an awful lot! It’s not intentional, just sort of seems to be happening). I played part of a game of Tempus at Origins – it was good but I wasn’t exactly blown away. Of course, I felt that way about Caylus, too, so what do I know? None of those games would qualify for Spiel Des Jahres anyway … I’m just going to have to wait for some enterprising geek to put a list together of the upcoming games.

Quote:
7. How often do you game? Who do you game with? Do they tend to be gamers and BGGers or more casual about their gaming?

Too often! I tend to be obsessive about things, and gaming is no exception. In 2004 I spent way too much time on BSW, for example. We mostly play with gamers, but we play with nongamer friends on occasion, too. We are part of a regular gaming group that meets once each week: all gamers, but only 1 of whom regularly checks in on BGG. Scheduling conflicts have left us unable to attend those sessions since January, unfortunately. We have potluck game days at our house at varying intervals, probably ever 1.5-2 months. We also have a few friends come to our house in between these longer gaming days, for a few hours of gaming, probably averaging every 1-2 weeks. I also have been playing a lot of play-by-web games: those are perfect for being able to take a quick turn whenever I have a break during the day.

Quote:
Other Media
You mention you like specul...I mean, science fiction! What books did sci-fi fans miss that they should really read? Any movies that fall into the same category?

I think I said it above, but not sure: I read a lot growing up, but as gaming has become my latest obsession, reading has fallen off significantly. I read scifi as a kid but fairly quickly moved to fantasy – where I’ve been pretty much ever since. I’m not sure that I can answer your question in either area, though. Recently, I have really enjoyed the Fire and Ice series (Game of Thrones, etc.) – you can’t say people have exactly missed that one, though! Wheel of Time before that, but it’s dragged on and ON.

As for movies: I’d have to say Serenity fits the bill. I think it was very well done, but it did pretty poorly at the box office. Like the TV series preceding it (Firefly), it may well do better on DVD than in wide release. An older film I remember enjoying (but seeing only once) was Strange Days. I think it also did poorly, but it was a well-done, disturbing movie!

Quote:
Palm Development
Do you think the Palm is long for this world? Will Microsoft and RIM destroy it soon (that is, assuming RIM isn't gone ). What kind of Palm device do you currently have?

I don’t know, but I hope so! I don’t think RIM is going to be a real threat, or even The Evil Empire, now that Treos come in PPC flavor. It’s the proliferation of the smartphone that might kill the Palm – I’m not sure that most people need/want a PDA. It will likely, at the very least, stick around in niche areas that need more than just a phone; but for the masses using cellular phone service, maybe not. On the other hand, Access (which now owns PalmSource) announced this year that they are switching Palm to a Linux based OS. I have no idea how that will work, or when. But if Linux is a threat to MS desktops, it may also be a threat in the PDA market.

Quote:
Splanations!
Your splanations are a pleasure to hear - never would have gotten Struggle of Empires if I hadn't heard your explanation first.

1. Right now, we mostly just get the instructions. Do you intend to expand it to include more strategy and opinion?

Thanks! I’m glad it was helpful to you.

As for the future, a little background first: I was one of the first to respond to Mark’s call to action, and record these things and put them in podcast format. However, I did not record a show. I used the tools Mark told us about to just record rules. We have a pretty large game library, and sometimes it takes a long time to play a game for the 2nd or 3rd time. In the interval, I will likely have forgotten some of the rules. The one that kicked this off was, I think, Cities and Knights – love the game, but it’s so long between plays that I have to go through the rules every time. So I wanted to record something for myself, mostly to refresh my memory. Plus, I’d hoped others in our group might listen to the things in advance so that we could start playing faster (we met evenings, for 2-3 hours; limited time for the heavier games).

But as it turned out, it takes time but it’s kind of fun doing the things. I started adding a few comments about the game at the end. I’m not sure that I’d do a good job discussing strategy – I tend to play more by the seat of my pants than with a long overarching plan (i.e., tactical vs. strategic) – but I’ll likely make at least a few comments if I have them.

Quote:
2. Do you sometimes wonder whether content should appear on BGG or on your podcasts?

Well, since I started off doing the recordings for our little group, I didn’t advertise. But I did think some others might like it, so I have uploaded most of the files to BGG, also (under the appropriate game entry). I’ll probably continue to do this, except on some occasions when the file is too large – I just started using Garage Band and putting pictures into the file, which increases the file size and has made at least 1 (Tikal) too large to send to the ‘geek. I think it makes sense to continue doing it this way so that people who want all of the can subscribe to the podcast, and those who don’t will just find them in the files section of the occasional good game.

Quote:
3. I was asked this, too - any chance of getting your wife onto your 'casts like nearly every other boardgame podcast?

Doubtful. It’s mostly a rules summary “show”, and I really, really HATE the way she explains rules. Plus, I’m not sure she even knows many details about what I’ve recorded – I just do the recordings when there’s nothing else going on.

Quote:
4. Do you consciously make a decision to keep your 'casts focused on your purpose to distinguish it from others?

No, that’s just how it worked out.

Quote:
5. Another question from Mike Doyle that I'm borrowing - do you think the explosion of board game podcasts is a good thing? Are we getting to the point of overkill?

I agree with you: the greater the supply, the better it is for the “consumer”. Of course, selection means that some casts will lose audience – already, I can’t listen to all the gaming podcasts all the time. For me, it’s starting to be too much – but only because I’m obsessive and want to listen to it all. I don’t watch every movie and I don’t listen to every song; I’ll probably survive not listening to every podcast, too.

Quote:
It Must Be Asked
Finally - what in the world does "Snoozefest" mean exactly? A large gathering of sleepers?

It’s all part of my mystique. Also, it relates to one of your previous questions. And maybe it describes me? Or is somehow related to me? Or my profession? Check out http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snoozefest

Quote:
It Must Be Asked, Too
Do you ever get flack for your hilarious avatar from grumpy users who don't like people making fun of Curious George?

LOL! Surprisingly, I’ve only received compliments. Maybe people thing I’m advertising for the movie (in theaters now! But I like my little avatar picture better than most cartoons I’ve seen)?

Quote:
A game I know is called two truths and a lie.

You tell us three things about yourself. Two are true one is a lie. We have to guess which is false. (hints: Try to make your truths the most unexpected things about yourself to trick us. The lie can be very close to the truth.)

I said I was a private guy, didn’t I? I’m not sure if I want to play that game. I’ll think about it…

Quote:
Have a great week and thanks for your myriad contributions to the hobby!

You are very welcome – it’s always nice to be appreciated !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that took a LONG time! Especially since I had to do part of it over again after Firefox crashed on me!

I'll try to get back here and answer any questions that may pop up, but it may take me a while some times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Snooze,
I was wondering about some of the favourites you have posted on your profile. Se7en is a very well made and original movie but I as much as I appreciate it I could never watch it repeatedly as I do with my favourite flms. Do you watch favourite films multiple times? Don't you find films as dark as Se7en effect your mood? I think watching it again would just be depressing but that's me.
I don't really watch Buffy at all (I get the impression that puts me in a minority here) but is it dark too? Is that a theme in your favourite tv shows/films?

Also I wanted to know what you would say to convince me to give Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time another shot. I read the first 5 or 6 books and just got bored. To me it seemed like the main characters became far too powerful too quickly to maintain any decent pace without very artificial seeming setbacks or plot developments. I rmember thinking the first book or two were fantasticly well written and the characters were for the most part very real and had depth of development with their feelings and relationships but it seemed like the story should have been coming to a conclusion and it just kept going.
Can you understand my perspective on this or did the storyline seem to flow naturally to you? Have the books (after 6) returned to the quality of the first 2 or did you think they maintained their strength throughout the series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Geek of the Week, Snoozefest!

Played any good online games lately? I seem to remember coming up against you at E&T.

I really enjoyed your vacation journal last year: Are you planning to go to Essen again? What would you do again? What would you do differently?

What was your favourite season of Buffy? And were Giles and Anya not totally hot together?

How do you feel about having a blue guy linking to your profile? Any idea what they mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Snoozefest,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions so to start with, here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak BoardGameSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game for d10-2 players
Favourite game for d10-3 players
Favourite game for d10-4 players
Favourite game for d10-5 players
Favourite game for d10-6 players
Favourite game for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple - my other confession is that I would be hard pressed to list just one game for most of the above)

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why. Mostly, if not exactly, the same list as before.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

And last but not least, what are the last five games that you have played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I know Snoozefest and his wife (I think she has an account on BGG but keeps a lower profile here...which is not the case in real life). For lack of a better term, they are "big players" in the boardgaming scene of Raleigh/Durham. They are gracious hosts to frequent game days, with a huge game collection, delicious chow and a wonderful house to play in...they also have a kick-butt Dance Dance Revolution setup for when gamers want to get off their asses for a few minutes and move around. Beyond that, they are just great people. I recently moved out of the area and I miss them tremendously!

Snooze: we need to coordinate and get some games in on BSW or something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
Hi Snooze,
I was wondering about some of the favourites you have posted on your profile. Se7en is a very well made and original movie but I as much as I appreciate it I could never watch it repeatedly as I do with my favourite flms. Do you watch favourite films multiple times? Don't you find films as dark as Se7en effect your mood? I think watching it again would just be depressing but that's me.

Actually, I agree with you completely! I found it incredibly disturbing, and have only watched it once! I edited my profile and added a few more movies, most of which I've only seen once. I don't generally like watching movies repeatedly - my wife is the one who likes buying gazillions of DVD's.

Quote:
I don't really watch Buffy at all (I get the impression that puts me in a minority here) but is it dark too? Is that a theme in your favourite tv shows/films?

No, not at all! It's actually kind of funny. Joss Whedon manages to cover some heavier issues, but the show has humor, romance, action (poorly done with bad body doubles), and it's just campy fun. There are 2 especially outstanding episodes - Hush, where most of the show is silent, and The Musical, where everyone does a great job singing and dancing their parts.

Quote:
Also I wanted to know what you would say to convince me to give Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time another shot. I read the first 5 or 6 books and just got bored. To me it seemed like the main characters became far too powerful too quickly to maintain any decent pace without very artificial seeming setbacks or plot developments. I rmember thinking the first book or two were fantasticly well written and the characters were for the most part very real and had depth of development with their feelings and relationships but it seemed like the story should have been coming to a conclusion and it just kept going.
Can you understand my perspective on this or did the storyline seem to flow naturally to you? Have the books (after 6) returned to the quality of the first 2 or did you think they maintained their strength throughout the series?

I completely see your side. I loved the first few books - well past the second. The story did seem to flow, though, and I had no problems with character development. But then it went on and on and on. I want to read it now so I have the full picture - I've already read thousands of pages (including a reread of the first 6 or so) and I want to know what happens. But I don't think I'd recommend the series to someone right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:

Played any good online games lately? I seem to remember coming up against you at E&T.

Thanks!

I've been playing mostly PBW stuff lately, including E&T. We did play that one game (I think you won, didn't you?) some time ago. Face to face - we had a friend over last night, so see my answers to Karlsen, below. Before that, the more interesting things were:
Descent - finally got to play it! It took us for-freaking-ever to play our first game, but it was a lot of fun. I've played 1.5 games since then, and it looks like this will be a keeper. We've had Warhammer Quest sitting on our shelf for years; we'll probably play it once more, and maybe sell it if Descent will fill that niche better.
Power Grid France - played a 6er game. I have the most experience (BSW), but am used to playing 3er games. I spent too much on building too much production capacity, and ended up coming in 2nd place (shy on the money tiebreaker). It was a fun game, though - I'm looking forward to trying the Italy map!
Runebound - we have most of the expansions to the game, and have tried several of them out. I like this game, too - now if I can only convince the wife to part with our Talisman (which has also been sitting on the shelf for years, next to WH Quest and Titan)!

Quote:
I really enjoyed your vacation journal last year: Are you planning to go to Essen again? What would you do again? What would you do differently?

Thanks! We might go to Essen some time in the distant future, but no plans yet. It was fun, and we got good deals on the games - but that flight and hotels was a bit expensive! It was kind of a stressful trip, too - the constant smoking bothered both of us, but gave my wife migraine headaches. And we didn't like the food as much as other trips, and the carbonated water was a real pain in the butt!

Quote:
What was your favourite season of Buffy? And were Giles and Anya not totally hot together?

We're watching them yet again! I don't remember which season was the best - not the first! But I really liked Hush, and the muscial episode. As for Giles and Anya ... huh? I've forgotten that little bit.

Quote:
How do you feel about having a blue guy linking to your profile? Any idea what they mean?

Sorry, you lost me there. Are you talking about the bluehands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! I was waiting with some dread for these questions - 'cause I'm not sure I have good answers. ALL of these are subject to change! I'm going to cop out a little and list more than 1 game for some of these.

Karlsen wrote:

Favourite game for d10-2 players

Right now, Battle Line. But Magic is in there too, of course.

Quote:
Favourite game for d10-3 players

Light: Ra
Medium: Das Zepter von Zavandor

Quote:
Favourite game for d10-4 players

Light: For Sale
Medium: Cities and Knights of Catan? Power Grid? Das Zepter von Zavandor?
Heavy: Age Of Steam or Struggle of Empires? (haven't played either with 4 yet)

Quote:
Favourite game for d10-5 players

Light: For Sale
Medium: Traders of Genoa?
Heavy: Die Macher, Age of Steam, or Struggle of Empires? (not yet played SoE with 5)
Negotiation/Conflict: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Favourite game for d10-6 players

Medium: Shadows Over Camelot
Heavy: Dune (after only 1 play!)

Quote:
Favourite game for d10-7 or more players

Light: Carabande, maybe Cranium basic/turbo/hoopla
Medium: Shadows Over Camelot
Heavy: Civilization

With exactly 8, Memoir '44 Overlord is fun, too.

Quote:
Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why. Mostly, if not exactly, the same list as before.

Space ships: Starfarers of Catan. Played only once, didn't like it as much as the basic game - more extraneous stuff without more fun.

Witches: Techno Witches. 1 play: seems more like a kids game. Didn't find it very challenging, although we only played the intro game. Wouldn't mind trying it again, but didn't seem especially entertaining.

Trains: Age of Steam (one of my favorites). Ticket to Ride (I do some demos for Days of Wonder from time to time; just did one recently). Empire Builder series from Mayfair: I like them, although I usually lose. The Lunar map, which I've only played a few times, is especially cool for the wrap-around feature.

Transport (may include trains): = pick up and deliver = Empire Builder series. Age of Steam too, I suppose.

Workers (paid or otherwise): Puerto Rico - I've played hundreds of games. Tikal - I've been playing by web recently, which is a great way to play this game. Would like to try it face-to-face again. Keythedral - a good game, but not for me; the competition is so tight that gameplay becomes "mean" very quickly - the game is too stressful!

Trading: Traders of Genoa - don't get to play it very often, but I think it's one of the best trading games out there. Settlers - yes there's dice, but this is really a TRADING game.

Building: Puerto Rico, 'cause I've played it so many times. Most were 3er games on BSW. I loved the game after my first play, and could never get other people around here to play as much as I'd like. So I ended up playing a lot on BSW. Now, of course, no one wants to play because they don't want to play a really experienced player, or they don't want to slow things down as newbies, or whatever. I also managed to burn myself out on the game, which is a shame.

Pink: Reef Encounter. Liberte. Both are the only games I can think of right now with pink pieces. RE is a little odd: I think it's good, but I'm not sure if it's great - there seems to be a lot of randomness to it, although that may simply be lack of experience in the game. Liberte, which I've only played once, is also a little weird - but I think that is going to be a lot of fun to play! (By the way, I foolishly bought several copies of the game ... anyone want to buy or trade something good for it ?)

Theme: Game of Thrones. The boardgame does a great job modeling the books - good use of the seas, battles, intrigue. Dune: Another amazing game where each player plays a different faction, and the game design forces players to approach the world in a mindset perfect for that faction! Lord of the Rings Cooperative: because everyone else think's the theme is well done. I don't really like this game - too much player communication means the experienced one can take over; seems like you may as well play with your cards showing; outcome based on luck or card draw and dice rolls. I much prefer Shadows Over Camelot as a cooperative game (although I'm not sure that the theme is all that important in SOC).

Ships: Seafarers of Catan. I really didn't like this expansion the first few times I played it - it seemed to add little or nothing to the basic game, which I liked quite a lot at that time (still do, but I prefer Cities now). I'm starting to like it a bit more, but I'm still not sold.

Money: Traders of Genoa - a great game where the richest person wins. Monopoly - the first major money game; I would like to play it some time with the actual rules.

Purple: GIPF series. This one's a bit of a stretch, but purple is my wife's favorit color, and she likes abstracts like the GIPF games.

Government: Sid Meier's Civ the computer game (haven't played the board game) - you can change the type of government of your civ, and that affects production, war, etc.

Vampires: Dracula (2er), Fury of Dracula, RK's Vampire. The associations here are pretty obvious. The 2er was OK, but no one else liked it so I haven't played in a while. Didn't like Fury (1 play of the original game): a lot of running around without accomplishing much for me, and a letdown of an ending. Haven't played RK's game in a long time.

Infrastructure: Age of Steam, where you have to build your infrastructure first before you can run your business profitably. Probably the 18xx games, too, except that I've never played them.

Dice: Settlers, 'cause everyone thinks it's just a dice fest (it's not). Pickomino, 'cause my wife really loves the game - and that is just a dice fest (mostly)! Verflixxt - a decent roll-and-move game, better on BSW than in real life.

Dinosaurs: Evo, a fun game of evolution and conflict. Someone uploaded a great picture here where they replaced the player disks with little toy dinos - I've been looking for those for years, without any luck!

Gemstones: Fist of Dragonstones - hate this game of blind bidding/bluffing. Das Zepter von Zavandor - a very good game, but it runs too long; I'm hoping it will play faster after we've all gained more experience. Diamant - good fast filler.

Dragons: Drachenland, I think - RK's game where you run around stealing gold and gems from dragons' lairs. Good game, although haven't played it in quite a long time. Game of Thrones - because of an association with the books (presumably a future expansion will introduce them into the game). Iron Dragon - fantasy Empire Builder game, one of our first in the series, and fun to play (nice variant of having foreman). Warcraft - I think the ranged guys are dragons, aren't they? Good game with the expansion, although too conflict-oriented for my wife so we don't play it much.

Beer: Beer tastes like ___ = Piss Boy = Guillotine! I suppose I don't hate beer quite THAT much, but it's not my favorite drink by any stretch!

Wands: Iron Dragon (you get wands in the far east edge of the board, I think).

Quote:
And last but not least, what are the last five games that you have played?

From most recent backwards:
Wits and Wagers
Tikal
Battle Line
Shadows Over Camelot
Pirate's Cove

Whew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
I know Snoozefest and his wife (I think she has an account on BGG but keeps a lower profile here...which is not the case in real life). For lack of a better term, they are "big players" in the boardgaming scene of Raleigh/Durham. They are gracious hosts to frequent game days, with a huge game collection, delicious chow and a wonderful house to play in...they also have a kick-butt Dance Dance Revolution setup for when gamers want to get off their asses for a few minutes and move around. Beyond that, they are just great people. I recently moved out of the area and I miss them tremendously!

Snooze: we need to coordinate and get some games in on BSW or something!

Hey, Justin! We miss you, too! And thanks for your comments!

As for gaming: BSW might be kind of tough to coordinate (unless it's TODAY - I'm stuck home without the car, and didn't bring work with me). But how about some play-by-web? I'll go ahead and set up a few games for you and anyone else who reads this, all with the same name (snooze_GAMENAME) and password (youlose):
spielbyweb - tikal, reef encounter, wallenstein
mabiweb - hansa
BGG - ET

See you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
As for gaming: BSW might be kind of tough to coordinate (unless it's TODAY - I'm stuck home without the car, and didn't bring work with me). But how about some play-by-web? I'll go ahead and set up a few games for you and anyone else who reads this, all with the same name (snooze_GAMENAME) and password (youlose):
spielbyweb - tikal, reef encounter, wallenstein
mabiweb - hansa
BGG - ET

Heh ... I usually don't have to coordinate to find you on BSW, as it's my 2nd home. As for SbW, I think I've played you at a game of Amun Re or two. Always up for a game with you, regardless of what that game is: you are one person whose gaming I have mucho respect for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Snooze,

Three questions for you:

1) Do you go to gaming conventions? Which ones? Which ones do you like the best? Which do you like the least?

2) What is your all-time favorite gaming related story -- it can be a funny anecdote or 'great play/hall-of-fame' moment from a game or anything else that you consider your favorite.

and, in a moment of blatant self-promotion:

3) Do you read INDEPTH? If not, why not?

Congrats on being named "Geek of the Week!"

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Snooze, please fill in the blanks for us:

I would love to play (game) with these (movie-stars), and here's why: (reason).

I would love to play (game) with these (musicians), and here's why: (reason).

I would love to play (game) with these (fictional characters), and here's why: (reason).

and finally...

If I were a game piece, I would be _______________

Thanksabunch!
-Eddy Bee

"Once a gamer, always a gamer!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
No, not at all! It's actually kind of funny. Joss Whedon manages to cover some heavier issues, but the show has humor, romance, action (poorly done with bad body doubles), and it's just campy fun. There are 2 especially outstanding episodes - Hush, where most of the show is silent, and The Musical, where everyone does a great job singing and dancing their parts.

I agree with all these statements except the last part. Can you say Allyson Hannigan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Hi Snooze,

Three questions for you:

1) Do you go to gaming conventions? Which ones? Which ones do you like the best? Which do you like the least?

We've started to go to more and more cons. This year will be especially busy. The con's I've been to/am going to (chronologically):
Gathering of Friends - 1st time
TrinocCon - a local speculative fiction / roleplaying / boardgaming con. The boardgaming is generally subpar (except for 1 year, which will likely not be repeated) so probably won't be back soon.
MACE - a small con in western NC; OK, but likely won't be back soon - a bit small to have a lot of boardgames. It is conveniently nearby, though.
Origins - return visit; this is a lot of fun, one of my favorites that I expect we'll go to for years - look for the geeklist!
GenCon Indy - likely won't be back soon. It was fun, but I didn't like how everything seemed to be about making money: you pay per game, even pay to borrow from the library, gaming is off in a room a bit hard to get to. However, the dealer room is really outstanding.
Oasis of Fun - 1st time
DragonCon - pretty good for gaming, but a lot of fun for all the other stuff going on.
That Boardgaming Thing - great fun! A local invite-only thing that started 2 years ago. Shumyum, who posted above, was greatly involved in organizing it along with Rob (www.tuga.us) Reinhardt who is the main driving force, I think.
Essen - went last year, won't be back any time soon. Fun, but it's in GERMANY! Also, it was difficult to get a table and actually play a whole game some times (better to get there early, grab a table at a booth, and camp out for a few hours trying all their games).
GenCon SoCal - went to the first one only; that one was small with relatively little boardgaming. It was still pretty good, and I'd expect it to grow with time. Still, it's a bad time of year and a bit far.
BGG.con - 1st time ... really looking forward to this one.
Seems like there might be more, but that's all I can remember right now.

Quote:
2) What is your all-time favorite gaming related story -- it can be a funny anecdote or 'great play/hall-of-fame' moment from a game or anything else that you consider your favorite.

I'm a terrible story teller, and I couldn't remember jokes to save my own life! My favorite recent memory is a recent game of Battle Line against my wife. Looking at my records, we're 50:50. But I think my wins were mostly early - it seems that she beats me more often than not these days. So this game we played, and it was a lot of back and forth, back and forth. It was kind of drawn out, and I, at least, was pretty tense. We finally went through the entire troop deck! We finished the game, and she beat me yet again - but that was one of the best games of BL I've played!

Quote:
and, in a moment of blatant self-promotion:

3) Do you read INDEPTH? If not, why not?

Congrats on being named "Geek of the Week!"

Chris

No, I don't read INDEPTH. Are you referring to http://www.indepthzine.com/? If so, I'm not that into music. Or http://www.bakerhughes.com/bakerhughes/inDepth/index.htm? Never heard of this one. But no, you're referring to your own group's INDEPTH (you gotta do some more self-promoting - I couldn't find it just now with Google). I mostly read BGG and some BGN, and listen to the podcasts. There's just not a lot of time left to read more (e.g., I don't read any blogs, except on rare occasion if someone links to an interesting post). I have found your posts advertising INDEPTH, and I've been to the site and looked at an issue (or two?). The content looked pretty good, but I don't like downloading PDFs! I'm thinking about starting an account at bloglines or something ... have you thought about a change in format ?

And thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
I agree with all these statements except the last part. Can you say Allyson Hannigan?

Her dancing was OK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
We've started to go to more and more cons. This year will be especially busy. The con's I've been to/am going to (chronologically):
Gathering of Friends - 1st time
TrinocCon - a local speculative fiction / roleplaying / boardgaming con. The boardgaming is generally subpar (except for 1 year, which will likely not be repeated) so probably won't be back soon.
MACE - a small con in western NC; OK, but likely won't be back soon - a bit small to have a lot of boardgames. It is conveniently nearby, though.
Origins - return visit; this is a lot of fun, one of my favorites that I expect we'll go to for years - look for the geeklist!
GenCon Indy - likely won't be back soon. It was fun, but I didn't like how everything seemed to be about making money: you pay per game, even pay to borrow from the library, gaming is off in a room a bit hard to get to. However, the dealer room is really outstanding.
Oasis of Fun - 1st time
DragonCon - pretty good for gaming, but a lot of fun for all the other stuff going on.
That Boardgaming Thing - great fun! A local invite-only thing that started 2 years ago. Shumyum, who posted above, was greatly involved in organizing it along with Rob (www.tuga.us) Reinhardt who is the main driving force, I think.
Essen - went last year, won't be back any time soon. Fun, but it's in GERMANY! Also, it was difficult to get a table and actually play a whole game some times (better to get there early, grab a table at a booth, and camp out for a few hours trying all their games).
GenCon SoCal - went to the first one only; that one was small with relatively little boardgaming. It was still pretty good, and I'd expect it to grow with time. Still, it's a bad time of year and a bit far.
BGG.con - 1st time ... really looking forward to this one.
Seems like there might be more, but that's all I can remember right now.

That is a LOT of conventions!!! I've not even heard of some of these -- Oasis of Fun, That Boardgaming Thing.

I thought Origins was similar to GenCon - in that you had event fees?

If I flew, I'd go to Essen - but like you, probably just once. If there was ever an American Essen (and I know CHITAG is trying to do that, but the public here wants different things than the German public), I'd make it a point to put in my vacation Jan. 1 each year for those dates!

Interestingly, even though I go to a handful of conventions, none are the ones you attend! LOL...

snoozefest wrote:
No, I don't read INDEPTH. Are you referring to http://www.indepthzine.com/? If so, I'm not that into music. Or http://www.bakerhughes.com/bakerhughes/inDepth/index.htm? Never heard of this one. But no, you're referring to your own group's INDEPTH (you gotta do some more self-promoting - I couldn't find it just now with Google). I mostly read BGG and some BGN, and listen to the podcasts. There's just not a lot of time left to read more (e.g., I don't read any blogs, except on rare occasion if someone links to an interesting post). I have found your posts advertising INDEPTH, and I've been to the site and looked at an issue (or two?). The content looked pretty good, but I don't like downloading PDFs! I'm thinking about starting an account at bloglines or something ... have you thought about a change in format ?

Ugh...I hate self-promotion, quite honestly; but there's so much out there, I think, sometimes, you HAVE to do it.

I think one big difference is that INDEPTH is really intended to BE a magazine -- has the look, the feel, the layout of a magazine. That was important to me.

That being said, you're right - PDFs take a LONG time to download. I'm working with someone from BGG right now, who's helping me to set up an RSS feed (no idea what that is....except the rest of my guys in my group think it's unnecessary...) However, you're the second person to ask for additional formats (which I prefer over a change...) Anyway, with luck, yeah, it should be done for our next issue (March/April).

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddy Bee wrote:
Hi Snooze, please fill in the blanks for us:

I would love to play (game) with these (movie-stars), and here's why: (reason).

I would love to play (game) with these (musicians), and here's why: (reason).

I would love to play (game) with these (fictional characters), and here's why: (reason).

and finally...

If I were a game piece, I would be _______________

I suppose you don't want me to fill in the blanks with "Naked Twister" and "hot chicks", right? 'Cause if not, it's a whole lot harder since I'm not much of a fanboy (although I was embarrassingly giddy when I found out the guy I was talking to was Martin Wallace). The last one is easier: if I were a game piece, I would be a player aid. But for the rest, I don't know - who would be a good gamer? Would I really want to be playing a game with someone just because I like their movies or music? It might be fun playing something (Game of Thrones? Struggle of Empires?) with Ender and Peter Wiggins (Orson Scott Card) and that apprentice guy from the Blue Adept series (Piers Anthony) - the only 2 characters I can think of who played a lot of games. I'd probably lose horribly, but it would probably be interesting watching Ender play.

Sorry for the lame answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Heh ... I usually don't have to coordinate to find you on BSW, as it's my 2nd home. As for SbW, I think I've played you at a game of Amun Re or two. Always up for a game with you, regardless of what that game is: you are one person whose gaming I have mucho respect for.

Hi, Coyote! I think we've played several things at BSW: PR a while back, and Ra more recently? I was on BSW a LOT last year. I still will sometimes keep it running at work, and maybe get in a quick game of San Juan or something when I have a few minutes.

It's always fun ... looking forward to seeing you across the "table" again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
That is a LOT of conventions!!! I've not even heard of some of these -- Oasis of Fun, That Boardgaming Thing.

I thought Origins was similar to GenCon - in that you had event fees?

If I flew, I'd go to Essen - but like you, probably just once. If there was ever an American Essen (and I know CHITAG is trying to do that, but the public here wants different things than the German public), I'd make it a point to put in my vacation Jan. 1 each year for those dates!

Interestingly, even though I go to a handful of conventions, none are the ones you attend! LOL...

That list included all the cons I have been to. This year, it will be fewer. Some of them aren't actually conventions, I suppose - Oasis of Fun, Gathering, That Boardgaming Thing. Or maybe they are just relatively small ones. These 3 are all by invitation. The others were all public. This year it will be GoF, Oasis, Origins, DragonCon, TBGT, BGG.con. If you can, you ought to consider DragonCon - good gaming, fantastic people-watching!

Origins does have game fees, but you can get a discounted ticket that lets you play many games (e.g., I think it was $6 last year for the Rio Grande ribbon, which let you play any of the scheduled RGG games). Also, CABS has a room (ribbon to enter) where you can play any game in their library there. Finally, there is a lot more space available for open gaming - that is harder to find at GenCon. The dealer room is good, too - I think Origins is definitely worth attending. Last year, I even got to meet a few BGGers!

Quote:
Ugh...I hate self-promotion, quite honestly; but there's so much out there, I think, sometimes, you HAVE to do it.

I think one big difference is that INDEPTH is really intended to BE a magazine -- has the look, the feel, the layout of a magazine. That was important to me.

That being said, you're right - PDFs take a LONG time to download. I'm working with someone from BGG right now, who's helping me to set up an RSS feed (no idea what that is....except the rest of my guys in my group think it's unnecessary...) However, you're the second person to ask for additional formats (which I prefer over a change...) Anyway, with luck, yeah, it should be done for our next issue (March/April).

If you can standardize your format (you know, text HERE, picture THERE, etc.) someone should be able to set up a template for you (for example, at blogger.com). Then, it's simply a matter of entering your material there instead of into Distiller or whatever you're using to generate the PDFs. I'll try to peek in at the indepth page (in the mean while, you might consider putting a link to the most recent issue on the main front page of your website).

Anyway, good luck with it!

PS To the casual glance, your badge looks like http://www.ubogroup.com/ - took me a while to find the correct link when I originally posted (hence the google search)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:

We haven't gotten to that episode yet in our repeated watching - will have to remember to watch for her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
melissa wrote:

Thanks!

I've been playing mostly PBW stuff lately, including E&T. We did play that one game (I think you won, didn't you?) some time ago.

I thought you won

I'm playing Hansa on Mabiweb, which has a very nice interface. Maybe we can have a game some time - PM me!

Snoozefest wrote:
melissa wrote:

Thanks! We might go to Essen some time in the distant future, but no plans yet. It was fun, and we got good deals on the games - but that flight and hotels was a bit expensive! It was kind of a stressful trip, too - the constant smoking bothered both of us, but gave my wife migraine headaches. And we didn't like the food as much as other trips, and the carbonated water was a real pain in the butt!

The smoking would be annoying for me, too. Going to Essen is such a holy grail for me, I love to read about others' experiences (although of course it makes me wildly envious!)

Snoozefest wrote:
melissa wrote:

We're watching them yet again! I don't remember which season was the best - not the first! But I really liked Hush, and the muscial episode. As for Giles and Anya ... huh? I've forgotten that little bit.

Dude! Tabula Rasa! Season 6, episode ?8? I think (uh, not that I am a nerd or anything). They are adorable!

Snoozefest wrote:
melissa wrote:

Sorry, you lost me there. Are you talking about the bluehands?

Nah - Aldie had lots of different coloured little people for our links to our profiles, before he settled on blue for everyone. I guess you had to be there at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmb
Hi Snooze,

I read all the thread, and there's one hobby in your profile which hasn't been mentioned here, but which I find interesting (as we share it) :karate!

Do you train often?
Since long?
What style?
Are you any good?

What attracts you to karate: some people like the competition (fighting tournaments), some like the self defence, some train for their own personal development (fysical/ metally/ spiritually)?

BTW: I think your avatar is hilarious!

Grtz, Matthijs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(Re: E&T.) I thought you won

I'm playing Hansa on Mabiweb, which has a very nice interface. Maybe we can have a game some time - PM me!

I can't remember that ET game, but I am also enjoying the Hansa interface - nice, clean, and simple. (Coincidentally, I'm playing MaBi a game if ET right now!)

melissa wrote:
(re: Essen)
The smoking would be annoying for me, too. Going to Essen is such a holy grail for me, I love to read about others' experiences (although of course it makes me wildly envious!)

I think Germany is simply too far to go only for the Essen game fair. If you can, do what we did: combine it with a vacation getaway. The smoking was especially annoying to us because my wife is SO sensitive to it. If you are not, it is certainly manageable. The fair, of course, is something to experience: a unique combination of great shopping, good gaming, and that great feeling of being a sardine in a can!

melissa wrote:
Dude! Tabula Rasa! Season 6, episode ?8? I think (uh, not that I am a nerd or anything). They are adorable!

We're on season 3 now - I'll try to keep a look out for Giles&Anya!

melissa wrote:
...Nah - Aldie had lots of different coloured little people for our links to our profiles, before he settled on blue for everyone. I guess you had to be there at the time.

It looks like Aldie is still playing. Actually, I did notice at least a few of the changes. The blue guy is OK, I guess. But the old pic was fine, too. I think I prefer them without the current frame, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.