Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a first play through Reef Encounter, I can't help but feel that I have a lot left to learn about the game, but I am also really looking forward to playing it again. I picked up the Z-Man version a week or so ago, and after reading the rules a few times my girlfriend (Sarah) and I decided to try it out.
Setup and rules explanation took about 45, and I could tell Sarah was still a little confused. After the first few turns she got the basic idea behind what was going on, and had built a decent sized (6 tile) yellow reef on board 1, while I had an 8 tile pink reef on board 2. After I capitalized on a small orange reef that I controlled by consuming it, I expanded my reef to make the best use of my points and ended up eating it when the size was 10 tiles. Over the next few turns I ended up locking down all the coral tiles in pink, making huge points.
Sarah realized she needed to catch up and used a similar tactic to consume a white reef of her own, and establish some power in yellow. However, I was able to consume 3 yellow tiles from her reef, and when she ended up eating the reef when it was 7 tiles.
The game moved very quickly from here on out, as I basically locked a coral tile down every turn, with both Sarah and I only eating minor numbers of polyp tiles.
Final score: Me-46, Sarah-22

Ratings: Me-8.5, Sarah-7.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.