Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finally got the new version of FoD the other day and last night a bunch of us who were huge fans of the original game, and some newbies, sat down to give it a first run.

Firstly, let me say I think FFG have done a fantastic job with this rework, and after some early scepticism about the 'trail of cards' system it actually worked extremely well in play and bought a new dimension to the game. I was most happy however with the way the 'feel' of the original game had been retained. Nice work!

I'd like to run some thoughts / questions past other players though.

First to clarify, Drac has to choose a card FIRST and THEN slide his cards along, correct? In other words he can't use that last card on the trail ...

And, with Drac's 'Sensationalist Press' card - it says 1 location is not revealed when the Hunters would reveal 1 or more locations with an Event Card. Does this apply to any card - eg 'Hypnosis'? Would it apply to Jonathon Harker's Ally power? Due to is title and fluff text, it seems specifically geared to 'Newspaper Reports'.

In this game, Dracula managed to successfully evade the Hunters to win, and the most powerful 'weapon' in Drac's arsenal was his ability to go to sea. I know you can't reuse sea cards in your trail, but it always happened that just as the Hunters were closing in on Drac he was free to nip back to sea again and throw them off. This got the Hunters pretty frustrated by the end. It was even suggested that with a bit of planning Drac could manage to spend most of his time at sea until time ran out and he won. Others thought Drac should lose a Blood point every turn he was at sea to make it a less appealing escape route. Another thought is that 'Newspaper Reports' should reveal the last LAND location, skipping any sea location cards on the trail.

In other words, the Hunters were very frustrated with Drac's ability to skip to sea and shake them off repeatedly. Anyone else found this a problem?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to make going to sea work well, because time stops while you are at sea. You are not gaining when yo are at sea, and the Hunters are busy getting good cards. Evasion is far, far nastier than going to sea. It really pisses off the Hunters.

And I think the Sesationalist Press card works with Hypnosis. Which means you should save it. Unless you want to waste it really trying to throw the Hunters off, (might not be legal, would have to read the cards again). Because if you do have to NOT reveal one, then you are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AARGGHHH! I completely forgot that time stops at sea! Right, well, that answers that question right there. Brilliant. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
N-H
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9 of the rulebook:

Quote:
Dracula must spend 1 Blood each time he
embarks to sea

and

Quote:
Dracula must spend 1 Blood every other
time he sails on a given sea voyage, starting
with his second sailing move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I knew those rules Ben, I just forgot the one about time stopping - which makes continually fleeing to the sea and moving around in it not a very useful activity for Drac if he wants to win by being evasive and just getting a point every time a new day dawns. The point remains though - it does seem a little easy for him to escape sometimes and can get very frustrating for the Hunters when he keeps taking to sea every time they have him cornered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
First to clarify, Drac has to choose a card FIRST and THEN slide his cards along, correct? In other words he can't use that last card on the trail ...

English rulebook, page 11, end of first column:
Dracula first decides where he wants to move. [...] he looks through his Location deck until he finds the Location card [...] Next, he takes the card he has selected and places it in the space on Dracula’s Trail farthest to his left, sliding any cards (and the encounters on them) already there one space to the right."

UniversalHead wrote:
with Drac's 'Sensationalist Press' card - it says 1 location is not revealed when the Hunters would reveal 1 or more locations with an Event Card. Does this apply to any card - eg 'Hypnosis'? Would it apply to Jonathon Harker's Ally power? Due to is title and fluff text, it seems specifically geared to 'Newspaper Reports'.

Yes, you can use it with ANY Event card (like Hypnosis, etc.).
J. Harker is debatable, depending if you consider that he "continually" tries to unveil the 6th card (so Sensationalistic Press is uselles) of only as soon as a card becomes the 6th on the track (thus Sensationalistic Press would work). However, I can't see many cases where you'd like to use Sensationalistic Press on J. Harker...

The name is due to the fact that the ORIGINAL "Sensationalistic Press" worked only against "Newspaper reports". The original NR forces Dracula to reveal his location, while the original SP allows him, when NR is played, to reveal TWO locations, one true and one false.
Does it make more sense now?

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
N-H
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Yes, I knew those rules Ben
Ow, sorry blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Yes, I knew those rules Ben, I just forgot the one about time stopping - which makes continually fleeing to the sea and moving around in it not a very useful activity for Drac if he wants to win by being evasive and just getting a point every time a new day dawns. The point remains though - it does seem a little easy for him to escape sometimes and can get very frustrating for the Hunters when he keeps taking to sea every time they have him cornered.

My Hunters have talked about that frustration, but only in the 'we should have done this better' sense, primarily because of the ability to use Sense of Emergency via Resolve points. If you've narrowed down his location and need to get ahead of Dracula, use a Resolve point, teleport to the port he's heading for, and fight him once he gets there (especially if it's daylight and/or you have good weapons like Crucifix or Stake.)

In the game we played yesterday, the Hunters used 6 points of Resolve (gained another after playing the card that lets them move Dracula's Vampire track back by one) and Dracula won with only two points of blood left, even though I did escape once or twice by hitting the water (and one time with an insane combination of Unearthly Swiftness, Wolf Form, and Escape as Bat...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.