Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: March 4th, 2006

Game: Puerto Rico Expansion

Players: Jean, Kim, Patrick, Tamara and Valdir (myself)

We were now nine players and a group of four went to another table to play In the shadow of the emperor, leaving five of us at our table, which killed my idea of playing Dos Rios (it only goes to four). Well, it will have to wait for another time...

Tamara and Jean proposed PR with its expansion. As I had never played with the new buildings, I was more than willing to try it out.

Jean explained the new buildings to us and we went around the table choosing which buildings to play with. The new buildings that were chosen were aqueduct, church (which nobody bought during the game, by the way), forest house, guest house, library, statue and union hall. Of the original buildings, sorely missed were hacienda, large market and small market among others (Tamara even joked to Jean: "how are you going to play now that your favourite buildings are not in the game?" ).

The small warehouse was one of my early buys, because I always get hit when the captain phase comes and I have a ton of barrels to ship and no ship available. In this game I think only one of my barrels had to rot, which is a good thing.

And talking about rotting, Jean had to rot a cartload of sugar when I chose captain a bit too early for him. He soon wisened up and bought his own small warehouse and was safe from my captaining too early...

The trash talking was almost as enjoyable as the game itself. We were always saying things like "Why did you do that? I was going to take that role next!" and the like. These guys are a lot of fan to play with!

The game ended as we ran out of VP's. In the end, the two players with the most VP's on hand (Jean and myself) ended in the middle of the score track (as you can see below) while the winner had points spread all over.

Final Score
Player: VP's in hand + VP's on buildings + Bonus = Total
Tamara: 23 + 23 + 7 = 53
Patrick: 17 + 21 + 11 = 49
Jean: 28 + 18 + 0 = 46
Valdir: 31 + 13 + 0 = 44
Kim: 23 + 13 + 5 = 41

And a sad tradition continues: in a game of PR I usually end last or second to last. Grr! angry I guess I should start reading some of those strategy articles that people talk so much about! blush

At the beginning of the game we were discussing the expansion and what it brings to the game. At a price tag of just six dollars, I don't think you can go wrong and I will always accept a game using the new buildings. However, I still consider myself a newbie at PR, I still have a long way to go before I can say I master the basic game, so I don't see myself buying the expansion, even at this bargain price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I guess I should start reading some of those strategy articles that people talk so much about! blush

Don't! Reading those articles may make you a better player, but will make the game less fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
-Johnny- wrote:
Quote:
I guess I should start reading some of those strategy articles that people talk so much about! blush

Don't! Reading those articles may make you a better player, but will make the game less fun...

Completely agreed. A big part of the initial fun of PR is in the discovery. Don't rob yourself of that.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.