Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The pieces I have for gobblet smell like paint. It is really odd, but it is true. Does anybody else have paint scented pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing odd about it, the pieces and the board are painted after all. (Varnished to be more accurate, but still the same deal chemically.)

Its just solvent fumes, leave it cracked open and it'll fade pretty quickly.

If you want a powerful solvent reek, crack open a new copy of 'Railroad Tycoon'. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, any piece of wood that is varnished, stained, or painted then put into a shrinkwrapped (or even just well closed) box will come out smelling like the varnish, stain, or paint that was used.

I'd like to add that some combinations of wood and finish can actually smell good. I have a set of medium-to-high-end go bowls, and for the first couple of years, every time that I pulled them out of the box they smelled so good that I would just sit there and sniff them during the game. I think that the wood was mulberry, but I'm not sure if the odor was from mostly the wood (with a mostly-scentless varnish) or from the finish, or a mix of both. It was just great though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
Nothing odd about it, the pieces and the board are painted after all. (Varnished to be more accurate, but still the same deal chemically.)

Its just solvent fumes, leave it cracked open and it'll fade pretty quickly.

If you want a powerful solvent reek, crack open a new copy of 'Railroad Tycoon'. yuk

Well the thing is that I got the game for Christmas in 2005. The smell is still there.yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.