Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Academy Awards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Does it feel like the Academy Awards is just about giving every movie nominated a single award lately.

I mean, "Crash" won for best picture, but didn't win best actor, best actress, best screen play, director, supporting actor/tress, or cinematography, etc. But still was the "Movie of the year"? You'd think a movie of the year, would at least have a few other "bests" aye?

What happened to the days where a movie could win multiple awards?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Crash" also won original screenplay and film editing. Even if "Brokeback Mountain" had won, it still only hit directing and adapted screenplay (out of the major categories).

I think, simply, there was no one movie that was set up to have a big sweep of awards this year. It certainly has happened before.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The academy awards are becoming less and less important every year. Nobody will even remember who won what in 2 months time.

No award is going to make someone a better actor or a movie a better film. Nor is a lack of one mean a certain film or actor is any less good. In the end the awards go to which film or actor who had the better PR firm this year or was the better sentimental choice. It's not about whose film is better but who plays the Oscar game better. Meanwhile we have a bunch of rich people patting each other on the back telling each other how wonderful they all are. Meaningless
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
The academy awards are becoming less and less important every year. Nobody will even remember who won what in 2 months time.

No award is going to make someone a better actor or a movie a better film. Nor is a lack of one mean a certain film or actor is any less good. In the end the awards go to which film or actor who had the better PR firm this year or was the better sentimental choice. It's not about whose film is better but who plays the Oscar game better. Meanwhile we have a bunch of rich people patting each other on the back telling each other how wonderful they all are. Meaningless


Awards are often meaningless, but it's good to be patted on the back by your peers once in a while, don't you think? An Oscar could very well make someone perform better with their acting later on. An Oscar might bring recognition to a film deserving of recognition. Comparing creative works to each other and choosing the 'best' one is a pretty crazy task, I agree. And every year some films slip through the cracks, and that is a shame. That is the nature of any award, though. Yes, there is money riding on it, yes, it's an industry. Just the same, movie-making is hard work. Some have it easier than others, but many of those meaningless names in the credits are people that are very creative and very good at what they do, and they work very hard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to care what the 'hollywood elite' think about the years movies. I'd much rather watch an awards show that is based on which movies excelled in certain areas, regardless of their club membership status.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end the Oscars are simply back slap-a-thons and as important as the Miss America Pagent. It's just someone's opinion on which of these pretty girls is better and truth be told their opinion has no real meaning to most people in the world. Maybe it has meaning to the contestants but beyond that...

In the end whether Brokenback Mountain or Crash won Best Picture is meaningless beyond the next few months if that. When I think of some of my favorite films, none of them have won best picture Oscars. Star Wars got beat out by Annie Hall in in the 70s and as much as I do like Woody Allen films I would be hard pressed to argue with someone that Annie Hall was a better film than Star Wars. Compounding the effect Star Wars had on the world you're judging a romantic comedy film head to head against a Sci Fi adventure film and saying which is better. It's apples and oranges.

Most films that get nominated for Best Picture are in the end rather forgettable. As for the winners, for every Lord of the Rings that wins we have such nonclassics as American Beauty and Shakespeare in Love. Looking at the films this year, I doubt most of them would have even been heard of by 90% of the people if they hadn't gotten nominated. Most likely because they aren't exactly the type of films people care about.

Let's be honest here. If Brokenback Mountain had actually won, would anyone here actually have gone to see it just because of that? Would anyone here if they had a choice between seeing Crash and say the new Superman film coming out this summer choose Crash because it won best picture? I doubt it.

So for myself I tend to ignore the Oscars. Best Picture or not I am not interested in seeing Crash, Brokenback Mountain, Capote or Good Night and Good Luck. I might see Munich but I'll wait for it to come on cable. Meanwhile I can't wait to see the new Superman movie.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Most films that get nominated for Best Picture are in the end rather forgettable. As for the winners, for every Lord of the Rings that wins we have such nonclassics as American Beauty and Shakespeare in Love. Looking at the films this year, I doubt most of them would have even been heard of by 90% of the people if they hadn't gotten nominated. Most likely because they aren't exactly the type of films people care about.

Let's be honest here. If Brokenback Mountain had actually won, would anyone here actually have gone to see it just because of that? Would anyone here if they had a choice between seeing Crash and say the new Superman film coming out this summer choose Crash because it won best picture? I doubt it.


With all due respect, it sounds to me like you don't like the Oscars because it tends to ignore the kinds of movies you like, except in the areas of technical achievement. Fair enough. However, there are plenty of people who care about the kinds of movies you don't. I'm one of them. I think that both LOTR and Shakespeare in Love are classics (SIL has a fantastically sharp, witty, meticulously plotted script with good acting in it, IMHO). While I'm not really interested in Superman (that character has never interested me) -- I can't wait for X-Men 3, and also am interested in Munich, Crash (although I didn't like it), Brokeback Mt, Capote, and Good Night and Good Luck.

It also is unfair, as you say, to compare Superman and Crash. While you might not choose Crash over Superman, and many wouldn't in your false situation (they not being out at the same time), will some people rent/buy Crash on DVD now when they might not have before? You betcha.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
muzzynyc wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
Most films that get nominated for Best Picture are in the end rather forgettable. As for the winners, for every Lord of the Rings that wins we have such nonclassics as American Beauty and Shakespeare in Love. Looking at the films this year, I doubt most of them would have even been heard of by 90% of the people if they hadn't gotten nominated. Most likely because they aren't exactly the type of films people care about.

Let's be honest here. If Brokenback Mountain had actually won, would anyone here actually have gone to see it just because of that? Would anyone here if they had a choice between seeing Crash and say the new Superman film coming out this summer choose Crash because it won best picture? I doubt it.


With all due respect, it sounds to me like you don't like the Oscars because it tends to ignore the kinds of movies you like, except in the areas of technical achievement. Fair enough. However, there are plenty of people who care about the kinds of movies you don't. I'm one of them. I think that both LOTR and Shakespeare in Love are classics (SIL has a fantastically sharp, witty, meticulously plotted script with good acting in it, IMHO). While I'm not really interested in Superman (that character has never interested me) -- I can't wait for X-Men 3, and also am interested in Munich, Crash (although I didn't like it), Brokeback Mt, Capote, and Good Night and Good Luck.

It also is unfair, as you say, to compare Superman and Crash. While you might not choose Crash over Superman, and many wouldn't in your false situation (they not being out at the same time), will some people rent/buy Crash on DVD now when they might not have before? You betcha.



Gotta agree with mrbean...if I hadn't managed to catch Walk the Line about three days ago, this would've been the first year in a long time where I hadn't even seen any of the Best Picture nominations.

I think many "geeks" care about the Oscars still just a bit because throughout the 90s it seemed like several pictures were nominated that we did care about. Stuff like Unforgiven, Gladiator, Braveheart, LOTR....movies we actually liked got nominations, so we paid attention.

But "Million Dollar Baby?" Someone asked me last night what won last year and while I could rattle off the films before that all the way back through 91 or so, I couldn't remember what won last year. I don't even remember what ran against it. Don't blame the Oscars, though...blame a tired Hollywood system that is incapable of giving the general public what they want anymore. Meanwhile they moan and complain about ticket sales being down...gee, wonder why?


And YES, give me X3 and Superman Returns over pretty much anything nominated this year. "Walk the Line" was good, but the sort of film I only care about watching once.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoy watching, and have usually seen most (if not all) of the major award nominees. This year, the only two I missed were Capote and Walk the Line.

I'm pleased that Crash won; that's a powerful movie that made me think about my gut reaction to certain situations -- first impressions, reflex actions -- and the way I talk about people to their faces and behind their backs. I enjoyed everyone's performance in that film. But I would have been happy had Brokeback Mountain won, too.

I wanted Felicity Huffman to win Best Actress; haven't seen Witherspoon's performance although I hear she's great. More than anything last night, I was happy to see Memoirs of a Geisha win Best Cinematography, Costume Design, and Art Direction -- my only lament is that it didn't win Best Original Score.

I thought Jon Stewart's opening was funnier than the crowd let on. Loved the Bjork joke!

It does seem like voters spread the wealth -- Clooney's "guess I'm not winning Director" comment was both hilarious and telling. It's too bad voters can't seem to vote on each category individually; there may be more landslides but sometimes that's the way it should be. At least we didn't seem to have any "make-up calls" honoring past movies (as I think may have been the case had Paul Giamatti won?)...

[Edited to add: I really liked Million Dollar Baby, and thought Hilary Swank did an incredible job. But it's a hard movie to watch, especially the end, and I don't think I can see it again.]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Academy Awards are very important.

If the Academy likes them, I don't need to go see them at a theater, I'll rent the DVD sometime when I'm really bored.

Of course, I see somewhere between one and four PG13 or spicier films a year these days, so I'm not their target audience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
It's when the awards go to Titanic or LOTR that you'll see little ramifications: people who were going to see/rent those movies were going to anyway and Hollywood is always going to try to make blockbusters. The award for Crash (and the nominations for Brokeback Mountian and Constant Gardner) could very well make those movies profitable when they wouldn't have been before. This encourages Hollywood to make more of those sorts of movies which in my opinion is a good thing.

It's also great to see the documentaries get some exposure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
It's when the awards go to Titanic or LOTR that you'll see little ramifications: people who were going to see/rent those movies were going to anyway and Hollywood is always going to try to make blockbusters. The award for Crash (and the nominations for Brokeback Mountian and Constant Gardner) could very well make those movies profitable when they wouldn't have been before. This encourages Hollywood to make more of those sorts of movies which in my opinion is a good thing.

It's also great to see the documentaries get some exposure.


It's not that fact that "Crash" won and wasn't a blockbuster. I really liked "Crash" myself. But it's the one award "BEST PICTURE" that bothers me. I don't believe you can get best picture, without being the best in a lot of other areas as well. What made it the best? The actors, directors, cinematography, story? Not one, but many factors right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:


So for myself I tend to ignore the Oscars. Best Picture or not I am not interested in seeing Crash, Brokenback Mountain, Capote or Good Night and Good Luck. I might see Munich but I'll wait for it to come on cable. Meanwhile I can't wait to see the new Superman movie.


Ah, well if you are only into blockbustery films like Superman, then sure, Oscar is probably not for you. Maybe if there was a Sci-Fi/Adventure film award that would be more to your tastes. I am eager to see Superman, too. I like the director. The Usual Suspects, and both X-Men movies were good. Then again, Bryan Singer is gay, so that may freak people out here. Think of all the hidden messages that could lurk in his films!

As for Star Wars vs Annie Hall, even if Star Wars had won best picture back in the day, Lucas would probably have had to give the award back as payment for his other movies.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gashlycrumb wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
The academy awards are becoming less and less important every year. Nobody will even remember who won what in 2 months time.

No award is going to make someone a better actor or a movie a better film. Nor is a lack of one mean a certain film or actor is any less good. In the end the awards go to which film or actor who had the better PR firm this year or was the better sentimental choice. It's not about whose film is better but who plays the Oscar game better. Meanwhile we have a bunch of rich people patting each other on the back telling each other how wonderful they all are. Meaningless


Awards are often meaningless, but it's good to be patted on the back by your peers once in a while, don't you think? An Oscar could very well make someone perform better with their acting later on. An Oscar might bring recognition to a film deserving of recognition. Comparing creative works to each other and choosing the 'best' one is a pretty crazy task, I agree. And every year some films slip through the cracks, and that is a shame. That is the nature of any award, though. Yes, there is money riding on it, yes, it's an industry. Just the same, movie-making is hard work. Some have it easier than others, but many of those meaningless names in the credits are people that are very creative and very good at what they do, and they work very hard.


Yup. That's really all it is. Art is NOT a contest! This is only a PR industry thing: who's marketable.

I give these things barely a notice. As I type, all I know is that Crash won picture (did not see it) and Philip Seymour Hoffman won best actor. Good for him, he deserves a pat on the back... for Capote I am sure but certainly for his work in the past. Now he's in MI3? Uhg.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
MWChapel wrote:
shumyum wrote:
It's when the awards go to Titanic or LOTR that you'll see little ramifications: people who were going to see/rent those movies were going to anyway and Hollywood is always going to try to make blockbusters. The award for Crash (and the nominations for Brokeback Mountian and Constant Gardner) could very well make those movies profitable when they wouldn't have been before. This encourages Hollywood to make more of those sorts of movies which in my opinion is a good thing.

It's also great to see the documentaries get some exposure.


It's not that fact that "Crash" won and wasn't a blockbuster. I really liked "Crash" myself. But it's the one award "BEST PICTURE" that bothers me. I don't believe you can get best picture, without being the best in a lot of other areas as well. What made it the best? The actors, directors, cinematography, story? Not one, but many factors right?


My rant wasn't directed at your post but at people who complain when big movies don't get awards.

Anyway, Crash DID win best screenplay and editing and the cast is such a big ensemble it made it difficult for any one particular role to shine (as compared to Capote or June Carter). It probably should have won best director if it really were the best movie. I'm sure Haggis isn't complaining to much though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallace & Gromit won best animated film, so it's all good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:


Gotta agree with mrbean...if I hadn't managed to catch Walk the Line about three days ago, this would've been the first year in a long time where I hadn't even seen any of the Best Picture nominations.


Hate to break it to ya but Walk the Line, while a fine film, was not nominated for Best Picture.


-MMM
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you notice that the woman who sang the nominated song from "Crash" is the actress who plays Toby Ziegler's ex-wife, Congresswoman Andrea Wyatt, on The West Wing?

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0948723/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What does Bryan Singer being gay have to do with the subject of the Oscars? Who cares if the guy is gay or not as long as he makes good movies. I think your insinuation is that because I don't like the Oscars I am somehow also going to be shocked and offended by the director of Superman being gay. What a completely ridiculous leap of logic.

As for me being only into blockbusters, I simply was using Superman as an example of a film that the Oscars ignore out of hand and you completely missed the point. Superman as an example of a film that will likely be very good, commercially very popular and thus will be ignored by the Oscars because it's not meaningful enough. The folks at the Oscars have the same attitude that you just showed. That a film like a blockbuster superhero film is simply to low brow to even be considered. Those who might actually think that a film like Superman might be one of the best films of the year is somehow not a sophisticated film viewer and needs guidance to what is truly meaningful and important.

Enjoy the Oscars. If it makes some folks feel more sophisticated knowing they are catching an Oscar nominated film then that's fine. However I don't need someone else's approval to tell me what films I should or should not be seeing.

gashlycrumb wrote:

Ah, well if you are only into blockbustery films like Superman, then sure, Oscar is probably not for you. Maybe if there was a Sci-Fi/Adventure film award that would be more to your tastes. I am eager to see Superman, too. I like the director. The Usual Suspects, and both X-Men movies were good. Then again, Bryan Singer is gay, so that may freak people out here. Think of all the hidden messages that could lurk in his films!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Much agree. The Oscars are more about PR for the in crowd. I use to work in marketing and when I see things about the Oscars I see it more as a PR and marketing tool. Maybe years ago it had more meaning but today it seems more about inside Hollywood politics than anything else

I saw Capote a few weeks back and Seymour Hoffman is fantastic in it. I recommend it not because it got Oscar nominations but because it's a pretty good film. He's one of those people that is always good in films. The only difference is this year he got a really good part. I don't think he was any better this year than he was in past films I've seen him in, just that he got a really cool role this year. So in a way the Oscar is for the role as much as it is his performance.

Remember, Alfred Hitchcock never won an Oscar. I guess that means he must not have been a very good director.

pronoblem wrote:

Yup. That's really all it is. Art is NOT a contest! This is only a PR industry thing: who's marketable.

I give these things barely a notice. As I type, all I know is that Crash won picture (did not see it) and Philip Seymour Hoffman won best actor. Good for him, he deserves a pat on the back... for Capote I am sure but certainly for his work in the past. Now he's in MI3? Uhg.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
franklincobb wrote:


Gotta agree with mrbean...if I hadn't managed to catch Walk the Line about three days ago, this would've been the first year in a long time where I hadn't even seen any of the Best Picture nominations.


Hate to break it to ya but Walk the Line, while a fine film, was not nominated for Best Picture.


-MMM





Whoops. blush



Well, there ya go. It was an 0-fer year after all. I only wish "Sin City" and "Batman Begins" had gotten more recognition. "It doesn't matter how good of a film you are if you're based on a comic book."

I may still see "Crash" now that I actually know something about it. The rest? Fuhgeddabowdit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
mrbeankc wrote:
Remember, Alfred Hitchcock never won an Oscar. I guess that means he must not have been a very good director.


One of Jon Stewart's funniest jokes last night was:
"For those keeping score, it's Martin Scorsese: zero, Three 6 Mafia: one."

I agree, the Oscars are PR, but some of those films (and actors and directors) need (and deserve) the PR.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Well, there ya go. It was an 0-fer year after all. I only wish "Sin City" and "Batman Begins" had gotten more recognition. "It doesn't matter how good of a film you are if you're based on a comic book."



Sin City... Mikey Rourke's best performance since Barfly. Not a great actor in my opinion, and a mixed bag of horrible and OK films to his credit. He was awesome in this film.

Batman Begins was a pleasant surprise. I did not read the graphic novels and I was totally unimpressed with the previous film offerings. When I heard that this was a dark movie, saw the cast and had a few friend recommendations I decided to give it a shot. It was great... but I think I was most impressed by the Muzlimgauze scored soundtrack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another example of how meaningless the Oscars are becoming for people. The ratings for last night were the second worst in Oscar history. Down 10% from last year with only the ratings from 2 years ago being worse.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What do ratings have to do with anything? If you think the Oscars shouldn't dictate what movies you enjoy, then wouldn't a similar analysis say that ratings wouldn't dictate what television you enjoy?

I don't care what the ratings are for the Oscars. I like watching them. Others don't. I enjoy watching movies, and sometimes the Oscars honor ones I like. They're never going to match up one-for-one with everyone's tastes.

I liked Batman Begins. I liked Brokeback Mountain. One won some Oscars, one didn't. Who cares.

Like whatever you like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.