Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Tout
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been attempting to moderate some of the new data coming up on BGG and I'm surprised to see that almost half of the proposed changes are links to spam sites, financial institutions or to other completely irrelevant web sites.

I'm dissapointed that someone is willing to activily post dis-information to the 'geek, but I guess that's just my naivety showing.

Frankly, if people are abusing this feature merely to get a few hits on their site, perhaps the "Moderate Data" pages should be altered so we can give feed back to the 'geek, along the lines of the Moderate Photos page.

I'm happy to check proposed links for accuracy, but I'm losing my enthusiasm if all I'm doing is giving the spammer a site hit while I act as a spam filter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Agreed, but at least they're the easy ones to decline.

There's also a tendency for "knee-jerk" links to be added. The kind of link where you say "hey, this has got something to do with the publishers, I'll add this as a link".

Recently accepted examples:

BBC, British Museum Games, University of Cambridge (there are AFAIK no links on the these websites to get to any info on boardgames published under their names).

BBC Enterprises. Worse, since they are a seperate company (a subsiduary of BBC) - later renamed as BBC Worldwide - www.bbcworldwide.com makes more sense, but still no links to boardgames.

Where games are published under a "big company" tie-in, there seems little point in sending people to the "big company" website - you need a site specific to the game(s).

db-Spiele links to a page on www.spotlightongames.com. Useful info, but is this really the company website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I've seen tons of great links come in all weekend. If someone is spamming, just send me the link they are submitting to, and I will ban their account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I can only remember one that looked like actual spam: http://www.coppclark.com/ but on reflection, this probably falls more under my "knee jerk" category rather than deliberate spam. Apparently, Copp Clark Publishing Company was a Canadian games publisher, and the unrelated financial website linked to has a very similar name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
db-Spiele links to a page on www.spotlightongames.com. Useful info, but is this really the company website?

No. That's gaming fan Rick Heli's website. I tried to vote that one down, but it got through. Only contact company has is mailtob-spiele@12move.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not the right forum for this (NPI) but is there a way to appeal a GeekMod vote? Or can only the original submitter appeal?

For example, the publisher Galloglass Games (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/71) currently has a website link to http://www.galloglassgames.com/ which may seem reasonable, but is in fact a site "under construction" since 2003. The new link proposed (http://www.glastyn.com/) seems to be a new name for the publisher (or maybe an older name), and they sell parts for the games. Seemed like a no-brainer to approve to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
SteveK2 wrote:
Where games are published under a "big company" tie-in, there seems little point in sending people to the "big company" website - you need a site specific to the game(s).

I am "guilty" of having added a few of these. I don't see the problem at all. If those companies are listed as a tie-in publisher then why not provide a link to the OFFICIAL sites? That is not desinformation in my book and could be rather useful if you are interested in the game itself.

If this is unwanted, then these companies should be dropped from the database altogether and maybe substited by "(corporate product)" or something similar for 'publisher'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Alfred,
I wasn't trying to suggest someone was being misleading, but just that sometimes the "big company" websites weren't useful for getting info about a boardgame.

For example, you could spend hours hunting inside the BBC website before you realised thay have no info or links about any boardgames.

Was it you that added the KLM link? (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/3623).

They're a great airline (I use them all the time to fly from Cardiff to Schipol & beyond) but I bet their website contains nothing useful related to their sole published boardgame (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/16183).

Still, it's not a huge issue for me - I just feel that if there's nothing worthwhile at the end of the link, there's little point in having the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Just to show how murky some of this link stuff can be ...

Even my earlier comment about www.coppclark.com may need to be reconsidered since the link has been re-submitted, but now to http://www.coppclark.com/compinfo.aspx which (if you read carefully) explains how this company used to publish all kinds of stuff (including boardgames) but now only publishes calendars for the finanical services industries.

So my main point remains: how useful for BGG users is a link leading you to something that has nothing to do with boardgames? When is 'completeness' just a waste of time?

I guess the geek moderators will ultimately decide, but I suspect it will be somewhat haphazard (for example: a "National Trust" link was declined while BBC links were accepted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
No worries Steve, I didn't take it the wrong way. The discussion is quite justified IMO.

I don't see why these links would be a problem when those companies are accepted as publishers in the BGG database and consequently have their own "publisher" page. In fact I'd rather have them correctly linked than having to reject incorrect links over and over again.
Plus, even if the company website doesn't mention the game in question (which is quite likely as it is not their core business), it would provide some general background information on the game's theme.

PS, it wasn't me who added the KLM link. It must have been some other flying Dutchman. I did however submit the game you mention ("Vlucht van de Uiver").
I think I added 3 of those type of links at most and 4 others were rejected. I can think of a few others to try and add but I won't at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the link mod is extremely hit-and-miss. I've tried to decline lots of specious entries, but most of them get by. Examples (not to pick on anyone) would include things like Random House's main website. Sure, they publish some books that have a game based upon them. But that doesn't mean we need a link to their book publishing Web site. If you can find a link within that site that specifically supports their GAMES, then submitting that link would make sense. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time.

Alas, though, my decline votes usually fall on deaf ears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen several link farm sites posted to these pages. This seems to be an attempt to gain traffic. There needs to be a "Blacklist" button so that spam links cannot be re-added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.