Subject: Blokus vs. Ingenious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
The games appear to be similiar. Which game is better for kids? Or, which game is better for two teams of adult/child vs. adult/child?

OTOH, are the games actually different enough so that it's fine to own both? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are quite different, so it's really going to depend on what you think your kids will like/be able to handle.

Although Ingenious has some subtle moves you can do, Blokus is a bit more complex in being able to foresee your opponents movements and come up with a strategy for your own pieces.

That being said though, Ingenious is no slouch. Strategy for Ingenious is probably a bit easier to pick up, but there are still lots of options.

Ingenious has a bit of luck involved with tile draws, though a skilled player will do better. Blokus, obviously, has no luck.

I own both, and would not hesitate to recommend both games heartily. However, if you're looking for a TEAM game, I'd have to recommend Blokus over Ingenious (mainly due to how the game is "scored"). And yes, they play different enough that there's no harm in having both.

If you really want to give them a test drive, you can play Ingenious on BSW, and you can play blokus on the official website (pretty sure it's www.blokus.com).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Collinsworth
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
For your specifications, I recommend Blokus.

However, both are mighty fine games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The games are well different enough from one another to warrant owning both. While both abstract, I feel that Blokus requires more spatial reasonning than Ingenious. Of the two, I like Blokus better, but Ingenious scales just fine between two, three, and four, whereas I regard Blokus as best with four, then two, and only o.k. with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Count me in the Blokus camp. The rules are so simple, that it's nearly disgusting. The nice thing about Blokus with regard to your partner situation is that you specifically (or not specifically) evilate one particular person (the adult for instance), while leaving the child alone a bit more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
evilate

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy both! We have 'em both and both get played alot (almost always with kid(s) in the mix).

Otherwise, I think skelebone nailed it. And, FWIW, despite occasional comments to the contrary, it's easy to teach Ingenious's scoring system to kids. Just tell them that, in the end, only the worst score anyone has matters and the highest of these low scores wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great abstract games, but not a thing alike. I think the play for Ingeneous is a bit more casual, although you do have to concentrate a bit while counting up for scoring each turn. I felt that the play for Blokus was more brain-burning, but the scoring at the end of the game was very simple. Ingeneous is a very good three-player game which does not promote king-making. I prefer Blokus as a two-player game, as it is an immediate face-to-face conflict (especially if you use the two-player "Travel Blokus" set.

You can't go wrong with either one. You can't go wrong with BOTH. They don't feel a thing like each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
derk wrote:
evilate

?

Assuming my dictionary is accurate:

Quote:
evilate - v.
1. To perform evil upon another individual.
2. Hindering another's performance with malice aforethought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Brian. I can't find it in any dictionary here at the office or online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that they are different enought to make owning both worthwhile. For me a bigger question would be Gemblo or Blokus? Gemblo is more expensive, but it sounds like it might do a better job of handling various numbers of players than Blokus. Anyone played both and willing to answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the "get both" camp. How old are your kids? Smaller children will have a difficult time scoring Ingenious. My 5 year old niece knows to put the like colors to get the points, but does not know how many points she will get. She can play Blokus, but doesn't have the best strategy. However, she can score it at the game's end. Same for my 7 year old nephew. If your kids are in the 10+ range they probably wouldn't have as big a problem with it. I like both games but if I only had to pick one and was playing with younger kids I would get Blokus. You also need to keep in mind how many people are playing. Blokus plays great with four and you can mark off a 14x14 grid (travel blokus size board) to play with two players. I don't care for Blokus with three players. Ingenious scales well with two, three, or four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
The games appear to be similiar. Which game is better for kids? Or, which game is better for two teams of adult/child vs. adult/child?

OTOH, are the games actually different enough so that it's fine to own both? Thanks!

for family/children blokus is best from all i heard. i played blokus but didn't have the chance to play ingenious yet, but from all i heard ingenious is less for family while blokus is in my opinion the best family game out there. that all i can tell becuase i havn't played ingenious yet but, again, blokus is great family game and you'll find it great for players as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus with 3 is OK if you make sure the strongest player is in the middle.

And, if not, we use a little house variant. My Blokus board is marked off in the center for the 2 player travel size. The player in the middle uses THAT corner for their first move and goes first. This advances them further and gives them the retreat area to build from as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Geosphere wrote:
Blokus with 3 is OK if you make sure the strongest player is in the middle.

Why? What is wrong with the rotating phantom player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both Bloki and Gemblo.

For 2 players I like Travel Blokus, but Gemblo's decent too.
For 3, I much prefer Gemblo.
For 4, I like regular Blokus.
Haven't played with 6, but Gemblo's your only hope there.

RE Ingenious vs. Blokus as family games. Blokus seems nastier to me (and, yes, I know you have to block in Ingenious). My daughter who started playing Ingenious when she was 6, I think, never had any problem with it and she prefers it to Blokus. I like Blokus better; it seems more challenging to me. FWIW, Ingenious has luck of the draw -- Blokus and Gemblo don't.

If your kids end up liking these kinds of games, check out Ubongo and Flix Mix as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
mib668 wrote:
For me a bigger question would be Gemblo or Blokus? Gemblo is more expensive, but it sounds like it might do a better job of handling various numbers of players than Blokus. Anyone played both and willing to answer?

The question of Blokus vs. Gemblo may best be answered by Blokus Trigon: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21550. No picture there, but you can see it here: http://www.fungamescafe.com/fgcIndex.php?com=showgame&gameId.... Price looks to be about the same as the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

Blokus and Ingenious are definitely different enough to own both. They are similar in appearance, but not in terms of gameplay, and I really enjoy both of them. I think that kids would be able to play and would enjoy both, although I'm not speaking from experience. I think that Ingenious is better for teams with two vs. two, and that Ingenious works better with just two players, but that Blokus works much better with 4 individuals playing against each other.

You should try them online to see which you like better, or just get both.

Try Blokus at: http://www.blokus.com/index.htm

Try Ingenious at: http://www.brettspielwelt.de/

If you're looking for abstract euros, also consider the GIPF series, especially YINSH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, everybody, for your input! As always, you have terrific advice and suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me in the both camp as well.

Blokus is so damn easy to learn, it's worth it as the ease in the rules in no way captures the depth of spatial strategy needed. It's a dang good game and was very, very high on my list. I only recently down graded it from an 8 to a 7, but I've played it a ton.

Ingenious is different, as noted above, they are not the same and their logic is different. Blokus gives everyone the same set of pieces to play with and they are all availible to you from the get go. Ingenious uses a blind draw mechanic which you then have to work into your plans. Scoring is a bit more complicated, but the description above for explaining it to kids is dead on.

Really, to me at least, Ingenious is a non-themed and lighter Tigris and Euphrates. It has a large draw to scrabble players (in my experience at least) and it scales incredibly well (also offers a solo romp too).

Really, both are very worth while. If Ingenious leads into Tigris, it's all good and pure bonus. I like the way both look on the table, I like the individual pieces. It's probably no more help, and I've added nothing new, but Ingenious has slightly edged Blokus for me lately. I wouldn't give up either though in truth. If you have a puzzle playing mentality, I'd give an edge to Blockus, if you want a more tactical experience, I'd give it to Ingenious...if you have dreams of corrupting the young into Tigris and Euphrates...well, then it's Ingenious.

I'd probably start with Blokus and move into Ingenious.

Now, I would love to see gemlo (forgive the spelling, but I've forgotten the actual name now)....that sounds pretty dang cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I was going to post this very question..

Went to the store tonight and played blokus with 7 year old dd. she loved it. As we were finishing 4 1/2 year old ds decides he wants to play. But we are on a time limit, and I want to try ingenious. We decided to let him play too. He needed help counting the score, but certainly could place his pieces. he had tried placing the blokus pieces by himself, and we didn't seem to be able to get the corner to corner idea across to him (but maybe he was just being stubborn).

So I bought blokus, but now I'm wondering if I should take him back to the store and try the games again before we open it.

I did fiind it frustrating that the ingenious pieces don't stay put.

Besides, I can spell blokus easily without backspacing.

deborah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the store today.

4 `1/2 year old liked ingenious better. Brought it home and we had a game this evening. He needs some help with scoring, but we all had fun.

deborah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.