Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: [WIP] Dwell - Modular/Expandable Dungeon Crawler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewi Gorsuch
msg tools
Entry thread for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest - Idea Phase.

Summary

Dwell is a solo board game inspired by the roguelike genre. It features a modular board, multiple characters, monsters, minibosses, and events. Its most interesting feature is that it's expandable beyond a base play session; it can be played forever (although you'll either die by then or run out of money printing more components).

Image Placeholder
Components Placeholder
Links Placeholder

The Idea

The basic idea is that the player will create the level from modular tiles, choose a character, and then explore the dungeon defeating monsters,triggering events, and collecting loot until they discover the stairwell to the next level and the 3 keys needed to exit. Once they collect enough experience points, they level up.

After a certain amount of levels, the player will face a miniboss. They will do this 3 times and then face the Main Boss.

The events will be things like traps and random spawning of monsters. Loot will consist of potions, weapons, armor, etc which will be somewhat unique as you'll also draw a Trait along with them (to create something like an Ice Dagger, or Health Potion. Or heck, a Health Dagger and Ice Potion). Some monsters will spawn already with a Trait (like Thief, or Vampiric) while others will draw one or two randomly.

Combat will be decided with dice and modifiers. The number of dice and modifiers will scale as the dungeon level and character level increases.

The Long Play

A basic play session will be fighting through levels, defeating 3 minibosses, and then fighting the final boss. However, since everything will scale and there are different variables like Traits, you can keep playing after that, either by facing the same monsters or minibosses again or (if I come up with more than 3 by the deadline) facing new creatures and minibosses.

Or you'll be able to play as many levels as you want before facing the Main Boss, who will also scale.

Status

I've got the framework mostly finished. I'll be working on finishing up how the board will work (there's a puzzle mechanic involved with moving the tiles) and then I'll start on characters and monsters.

I'm new to BGG but this contest caught my attention and I'm really excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good luck. go to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome! Always wanted a good roguelike board/card game. Do it! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeedr wrote:
Loot will consist of potions, weapons, armor, etc which will be somewhat unique as you'll also draw a Trait along with them (to create something like an Ice Dagger, or Health Potion. Or heck, a Health Dagger and Ice Potion). Some monsters will spawn already with a Trait (like Thief, or Vampiric) while others will draw one or two randomly.

This is a good idea, especially for monsters. However I'd make the 'base' monster either a person or a real animal. That way you'd get monsters that resemble those of mythology (Flying + Giant + Lizard = Dragon, Sacred + Horse = Unicorn, Sacred + Flying + Man = Angel, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewi Gorsuch
msg tools
apeloverage wrote:
This is a good idea, especially for monsters. However I'd make the 'base' monster either a person or a real animal. That way you'd get monsters that resemble those of mythology (Flying + Giant + Lizard = Dragon, Sacred + Horse = Unicorn, Sacred + Flying + Man = Angel, for example).

That's interesting, but I want each level to have a theme. So far I'm working on creatures for Goblin, Undead, and Miscellaneous themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beto Francischinelli
Brazil
Itu
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A roguelike? that's dreamy!
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeedr wrote:
apeloverage wrote:

That's interesting, but I want each level to have a theme. So far I'm working on creatures for Goblin, Undead, and Miscellaneous themes.

You could make themes by having particular characteristics be more common on particular levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Glove
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, apologies for asking what may be a silly question (if others were asking I would say there's no such thing as a foolish question but in my own case I'll make the exception).

What do you mean by roguelike? Is this a reference to another game? Or a type of game?

Thanks and best of luck with your game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
Neat. I was casually thinking about a game like this (meaning, I wasn't planning to implement it). One of the neater aspects of roguelikes is the interactions between items. For example, if something explodes near you, all of your scrolls will burn up, or acid items can cause your sword to disintegrate. If you can find a clean way to integrate something like that into the game, it would be really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
LiberD wrote:
Hi, apologies for asking what may be a silly question (if others were asking I would say there's no such thing as a foolish question but in my own case I'll make the exception).

What do you mean by roguelike? Is this a reference to another game? Or a type of game?

Thanks and best of luck with your game

"roguelike" is a category of computer games, referring to one of the progenitors of the genre, Rogue. They're typically characterized by randomly generated levels and permanent death (once you die, game over and you don't get to replay the same dungeon). They traditionally use simple ASCII characters to represent the in-game graphics, though modern games often give the option to use tiled graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds ambitious. I hope this isn't your first design. Good luck! We're all eagerly waiting to see how the game goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of combining traits for items. Wish they'd incorporate that in games like Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The entry deadline for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is Midnight (MST) October 5th. Will this game be complete by that time? If not, the game will be removed from the entry list but will be eligible to be entered in next year's contest.

Thanks! I hope to see more about this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls