Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably feel embarrassed about telling this story, as it was a complete and utter defeat of my forces. ... No, that's an understatement. It was a slaughter ... a massacre ... such an enormous win for Thor that I shudder to think about how bad my forces were decimated. blush

As other TABS members dove into various Euro games, we set up the Ceasefire Collapse scenario, which involves 18 points of infantry and 16 points of armour on each side. I set up on the east side of the map while Thor took the west side.

The backstory to the scenario is that the peace talks have just broken down, and each side's forces are swaming over the DMZ to engage the enemy. Well, in hindsight, I wish my diplomats had stayed at the table, as a lot of men were lost that day.

Thor set up his units to protect his town, while I scattered my units about a bit more. I chose not to do much stacking at first, as I figured I was just asking for trouble if there were too many units in close quarters. That choice didn't really do me much good, as Thor swarmed across the DMZ and started opening fire on my troops.

Outgunned and outmaneuvered, many of my troops were obliterated. I lost heavy tanks, GEVs (regular, light and PC) and light tanks. My infantry miraculously survived until I realized I was getting my butt kicked really badly (it still hurts to sit down). I retreated as many units across the bridges as possible, but my slow infantry just weren't going to make it. My armour units blew the south-east bridge, but my other units proved incapable of destroying the bridge further north (I didn't even bother trying to blow the rail bridge, as Thor's units were more in a position to cross the road bridges).

With all but one unit of my infantry on the other side of the bridges and definitely not able to move quick enough to join in the cowardly fleeing of the battlefield, Thor opened fire on my infantry as my armour units started retreating off board.

I conceded victory to Thor ... and it was a grand victory. If not for my missile tanks and my mobile howitzer, I wouldn't have been able to destroy any of Thor's units, but I managed to wipe out three armour units. How many of my units did Thor wipe out? Being the gentleman that he is, he chose not to count; but let's just say it was a lot.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like what happens whenever one side gets nearly all their units to fire first. Most of the strategy of the game is figuring out how to either get the first shot or survive giving your opponent the first shot.

It's nice to see someone post a report for this game, by the way. GEV is one of the finest games that I never hear anything about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"GEV is one of the finest games that I never hear anything about."

It gets played occasionally at my gaming group, and a buddy and I have been known to set it up in the cafeteria during lunch at work. I just can't wait till my son (age 5) is old enough to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to think of it, I believe Thor did get first fire.

Of course, what I didn't mention in the report is that I was cursed with a string of bad rolls throughout the game. A few better rolls might have helped, but I think I got outmaneuvered, anyway.

There's always next time (and I'll make sure to write a session report for the rematch, which will likely happen in April).

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Corbeau wrote:
Sounds like what happens whenever one side gets nearly all their units to fire first. Most of the strategy of the game is figuring out how to either get the first shot or survive giving your opponent the first shot.

It's nice to see someone post a report for this game, by the way. GEV is one of the finest games that I never hear anything about.

I agree that the first shot is critical: GEV is about getting the drop on your opponent and having the retaliation be weaker than your initial attack. I think all games that have Igo/Ugo combined with destroyed units being removed instantly have a bit of that though. Once the action starts, that is harder to achieve.

With that in mind, being spread out is usually a bad idea (unless weapons that attack the entire space are in use): it is hard to get that local superiority without stacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:
[B]eing spread out is usually a bad idea (unless weapons that attack the entire space are in use): it is hard to get that local superiority without stacks.

One of the reasons GEVs can be so good; stack after first movement phase, fire, then run away & unstack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Sumner
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I like about Ceasefire Collapse is that the forces are pretty evenly matched, so you both have adecnet chance of winning. I'd suggest that you play the scenario at least two more times. If you consistantly find you you are loosing, slowly increas the size of your force, by one or two armor units, until you find that you're winning about 50% of the time, and then slowly decrease it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.