Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this game for a while and previously had only played it after a few glasses of wine with my wife, but having seen this game on a few lists as being good for kids, I thought I'd try it with my 5 year old son.

First time up we set the timer on 22 mins, and had a gentle game as he picked up the game, and I explained what the pictures on the cards meant. With a few minutes left on the clock we both made it to the central room with all four keys, turned the keys in the safe, and much to his amazement, were rewarded with a few bars of the 1812 overture.

So, the rules under our belt, we set off again with the more challenging 2-player time limit of 15 minutes.

We soon had a couple of the keys, discovered a secret passage, and also found an empty box - while the guard and dog were nowhere to be seen. Soon we had only 3 rooms left to search, 1 key left to find, and knew the ring of fire and the large weight protected two of the items. We risked destroying the robot to clear the ring of fire ... but found only a secret passageway for the sacrifice ("nevermind, he was only a robot, I don't think it really hurt him").

With the guard-dog now sniffing round, the passageway was a useful shortcut to where the weight was, which needed both of us to lift it ... although we had to remain hidden in one of the rooms while we waited for the dog to shuffle past ("why can't he smell us in that room though, is it too smelly in there?").

A quick dash across the corridor, grab each end of the weight, one, two, three ... heave ... and .... ZZZZZAAAAPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! Not much of a hinderance to be honest to have both players miss their turn in a 2-player game - so we decided to roll (to see if the guard/dog moved) but not move ourselves.

3 minutes to go, and at least we know where the key must be, and what trap guards it - so we head off to the final room ... only to find the dog bounds back to his kennel and again begins patrolling, right where we want to be. Giving the dog a bone just as he encounters one of us proves a good tactic, but by now the clock is showing a "1" and we still haven't got the key, and straight away the dog is out and off again, unlike my own piece!!! The dog whistle distracts him momentarily allowing one of us to get away, but my turn comes around, and just as the clock starts it's final minute countdown, the guard wakes up, and the dog scampers within range of my agent ... busted!!

As the seconds beep past, it became a blur of flying hands and dice, with guards and dogs hurtling round the board, and the free agent trying to dash to the lock release room ...

30 seconds to go ... free !!! ... but the guard and the dog are both in the corridor right by the cell ...

20 seconds to go ... the dog scampers past, as the guard goes back to his desk ....

15 seconds to go ... the yellow die disappears under the table causing us to dive down to retrieve and neatly roll it back onto the table as the dog hurtles round the board as if being dragged along by a Ferrari ...

10 seconds to go ... one of us back in the central room ... dogs legs are now just a blur ...

8 seconds to go ... arrrghh ... the guard is getting up again ... meanwhile the dog must have smelt a cat the speed it's zipping round, or be on one hell of a promise ...

5 seconds to go ... "Quick daddy!!!" ... dog now sat in a corner wimpering ... agent 1 space from central room ...

4 ... here we go please don't be the dog or guard symbol ...

3 ... dog goes flying under a hail of dice ...

2 ... it's a ...

1 ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool report! I'll have to check this out myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very good, the game is like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say it was great fun playing this with my little boy - he thought it was the most exciting game ever ... he couldn't wait for my wife to get home from work to tell her all about it!

I will happily play this with him again - much more fun than the usual simple "Roll and move along the straight path then do what the space says" games that are aimed at kids.

I'm sure if the whole game was played at the same pace as you end up throwing dice and moving pieces in the final minute, then it would be possible to win in only a few minutes (as someone on here has commented) - especially if you lucked out with the right cards and rooms immediately.

However, it's much more fun to let the tension and game speed build up ... played in the right spirit (ie don't take it too seriously!!) this is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mind playing it with the kids because the second time, after a narrow loss the first time, they knew what they had to do and were completely focused. Usually they muck around getting drinks, moving chairs, taking forever to roll the dice. In the second game, we were rushing from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jehan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
I just bought it for my 6 year old son.
I still don't understand with the term "secret passage". I need your help to interpret it.

It said that:
All secret passage are connected. Once you go to secret passage your move is over.
- Why do we have to go to secret passage room.
- When it is said that your move is over. Are we out of play?

The other thing is if we get a secret passage tile, it is said that you may go to or from rooms.
Do we can jump to other room and open a booby trap and our turn is over?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.