Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My family has really been enjoying playing Betrayal at House on the Hill ... to the extent that most of the 'drier' Euros have been seeing little light (such as my recent purchase of Through the Desert).

I must own up to really enjoying the game as well, and so have been trying to determine another suitable game candidate that presses the same buttons that BaHotH does.

I did think of Arkham (mainly because the BaHotH game page suggests it as related), and have been looking at loads of other adventuring games ... Runebound, Dungeoneers, Dungeon Twister, ...

The one that is pulling me is Fury of Dracula but I need to be able to play these games with a minimum of 2 (the more usual gaming number ... because my daughters are always off clubbing it!!!). The reviews of Fury suggest that 2 may be problematic. Has anyone tried this a number of times?

Does anyone have any suggestions for games?

My fallback purchase may be Doom (but I can hear my wife weeping as I type this shake )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
BaHotH has captured my family

Oh no! Do you have any idea where it has taken them? I'll do whatever I can to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
My fallback purchase may be Doom (but I can hear my wife weeping as I type this shake )

The only game my wife hates more than BaHotH is Doom. You are a very lucky man to have a wife that will play Betrayal with you. I wish I had a suggestion for you. I look forward to what others will suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
If you think Doom is a possibilitly then I would look at Descent first. The rules are tighter and the scenarios are more narrative. Tons of flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David, glad to hear your family liked BaHotH. It was a hit when I first introduced it to my gaming group, and they loved Arkham as well. One thing you should be aware of with Arkham, though, is that the playing time can be quite long. I have read some session reports that claim to finish in 2 hours, but 3 hours seems like a more average time for my group, so if you are looking for something in the same time range as BaHotH, you might want to look elsewhere. If the length is not an issue, you should find that Arkham plays very well with 2, arguably much better than with more.

I just picked up Fury of Dracula, and I have to say that 2 player is not a problem, at least not after the first game. Also, the hunter turns don't usually seem to be as strategic as Dracula's, so they seem to take a lot less time (usually). In fact, I would say that I prefer 2 player Fury to 3 or 4 player just because the hunter player knows exactly what each character will do in their turn. It does make it harder for Dracula without having the hunters' table talk to help plan his movements .

You said you were also considering picking up Dungeon Twister, and if you are going to make a game order, I would suggest throwing it in your order. It can be had cheaply from online retailers. The game is much more strategic than any Arkham or BaHotH, however, and is also confrontational, whereas the other two are (mostly) cooperative. In any case, at <$20 in some places, it is worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Fury of Dracula is the glove fit you are looking for. I have played it a great deal in a two person setting, more often playing the four hunters by myself. It's a little challenging doing so from a card management standpoint, but I've played with five players, finding that I actually have preferred playing with two players, or with a third person splitting the hunting group with me. If you have the floorspace or tabletop to seperate your hunters a bit, I have faith that you'll manage just fine.

Arkham Horror also has a great deal of merits to earn a recommendation, but my goodness that game has a lot of fussy bits and cards. I have only ever played it with three or more players, so I have no relevant experience on a two player game, but I imagine it would suffer from less players than three. Monster killing and dimensional gates would become a bit more urgent than exploration, I would think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal is fun, thematic, and varied. I'm glad you guys are rolling with it and having fun.

How old are the kids? How deep are the games you've played so far? What is the main appeal (as far as you can tell) of Betrayal for them?

Arkham...very good, very different, much more to it rule wise and maybe not as up front in fun for younger folken...

If it's a horror theme that rocks the house let me just rattle off some uninhibited brainstorming: Arkham, Zombies maybe, Mid Evil maybe, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (american edition), fury of dracula (I've not played, but I'm brainstorming and it's on my buy list), there's another game by Twilight Games...the psuedo RPG of horror...blanking on the name...many expansions....skill dice....ugh, sorry.

If you need to worry about art content and violence due to age then skip the Zombies line as the art is gruesome and bloody for a Ziggy kind of kid...for a King kind of kid though, or an EC comic kind of kid...well, then--there you go.

If it's the tratior angle they dig...maybe Shadows of Camelot? if it's co-op...Arkham, Vanished planet, LOTR and the expansions...if it's adventure and exploring: buffy, the unnamed horror RPG I can't recall from Twilight Games, Return of the Heroes, Runebound, Dungeoneer. Dungeoneer lets you freely mess with players as you become dungeon lord for a moment each turn...how about Descent or even World of Warcraft?

Just some quick brainstorming, hope it helps in some way; basically try to take an educated guess at what's caught their attention and made Betrayal so much fun for them and try to find a game or two that has similar draws. It'll come down to reading up on some of the suggestions and maybe puruse the session accounts to see what folk say.

Good luck and it's great you guys all game together and are having a blast. Betrayal's taken some heat here, but I still find it a fun game when played in spirit. If you have to start sans Fury of Dracula maybe try to hunt down Buffy (american edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:
BaHotH has captured my family

Oh no! Do you have any idea where it has taken them? I'll do whatever I can to help.

Check down the coal chute. And also in that lake on the second floor. I adddressed this exact question in my latest blog entry:

http://sologamer.blogspot.com/2006/03/whats-arkham-horror-li...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for everyone's constructive inputs.
I realise I am really lucky getting at least 3 of the family playing boardgames a couple of times per week
A game such as Betrayal is radically different to our other games(except possibly for traditional games such as Cluedo).

Examining the fun of Betrayal, I think everyone enjoyed being a character, and keeping that character alive. The exploration aspects to Betrayal were good ... taking risks and finding 'stuff', and then resolving into a cooperation exercise against 1 'baddy' ... and that added the 'fight or flight' actions. So yes, Betrayal pushed many buttons!!

I think I will take on board your suggestions, and look a little more deeply into Arkham and also Fury (oh dear ... my bank balance is going to take a hit again!!)

So once again ... thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tischer
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they really liked BatHotH, you should check out Chill: Blackbourn Manor the boardgame. It's an older out-of-print game, but very similar feel to Betrayal. You can probably find one here or on E-Bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhenke,

you are thinking of When Darkness Comes, which is sort of pseudo RPG-ish (don't know if I could recommend it or not). Arkham Horror is probably the closest match to BaHotH that I can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:

dwrigley wrote:
Examining the fun of Betrayal, I think everyone enjoyed being a character, and keeping that character alive. The exploration aspects to Betrayal were good ... taking risks and finding 'stuff', and then resolving into a cooperation exercise against 1 'baddy' ... and that added the 'fight or flight' actions. So yes, Betrayal pushed many buttons!!

Actually, I think in light of this, Doom might be the perfect game to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
jhenke,

you are thinking of When Darkness Comes, which is sort of pseudo RPG-ish (don't know if I could recommend it or not). Arkham Horror is probably the closest match to BaHotH that I can think of.

Ah! Yes! Thanks Dave! That was driving me batty.

I have not played the system (and it may be too dark for the family and kids) so I can't personally recommend it or slam it. It's just a horror system that came to mind during the brainstorm.

I wonder which way the list author went?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike van Schijndel
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZuidHolland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to go with the folks suggesting Arkham Horror on this one... Although it is a pretty complex game, it has a GREAT payoff and it is a awesome coop experience... I think Betrayal is a bit too random... some of the scenarios are awesome... but there are also some fairly weak ones... Ive just read through John Farrels review on his blog and he sums it up nicely by saying

Quote:
Compared to the Arkham Horror, Betrayal at House on the Hill is a happy walk in the park on a spring day. It's over in an hour and at least somebody will win. Arkham Horror is much harder work, and depressing if you lose. Maybe you could roleplay it, but your characters might end up killing themselves...

Dracula... Ive just bought it and have played my first partial game... 2 players... For us it was enjoyable although the player handling all 4 hunters has a very busy job!

Anyways, best of luck!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhenke wrote:
... I wonder which way the list author went?

It was my birthday today laugh laugh laugh .... and I got the following:

Fury of Dracula (but this is the earlier Games Workshop Edition, and came in the post yesterday)
Doom (my daughter forced me to buy this)
Odin's Ravens (my wife waved this at me in the FLGS and said "buy this!!")

I have just spent an hour punching and bagging Doom ... and have discovered the well-reported phenomenon that the game now won't fit in the box.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you want Chill: Blackmorn Manor, you can get it from the publisher at

http://www.orphyte.com/catalog/chill.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wiswell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some buttons that Betrayal might be pushing:
1) Variable layout
2) Horror theme
3) Light roleplaying
4) Suprise scenarios
5) Quality components
6) A traitor in your midst!!!

Chill: Black Morn Manor does cover a lot of the same ground, but setup is a real nightmare, and I probably wouldn't go $50 for it- poke around a little bit and see if you can find it elsewhere. (The pieces in the game are very cheaply made, and I'd feel bad spending $50 for this)

Shadows of Camelot won't have the horror theme, but gets the roleplaying, the traitor, and quality components.

Zombies!!! is going to have card art that is too scary for kids, which is a shame because otherwise it might fit the bill nicely.

Atmosfear the DVD Board game has a lot of the same elements (suprisingly nice pieces!) with the added benefit of using the surround sound setup and the creepy gatekeeper guy (probably not too scary for kids if the picture on the box doesn't look too bad). The only downside here is that the gameplay is kind of dumb and requires playing quick quick quick like a bunny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.