Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: draculavariant [+] [View All]
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula is the Prince of Darkness, Lord of the Undead, stronger and faster than any mere mortal.
In the six games we've played over the past week, Dracula has had the snot beat out of him in every combat, day or night (none of which were initiated by him).

Lord Godalming has the ability of Strong Body (which allows him to roll two combat dice when fighting an Agent. We have been trying out a new rule that gives Dracula a similar ability:

When Dracula himself is in combat, he roll two dice and takes the better result.

This had some gratifying effects. Dracula himself became more of a threat in that:
1) He now had a reason to try to get points by defeating an isolated Hunter, instead of always running away like a girly-man.
2) The Hunters, even though 'Itemed up', felt the need to coordinate their attacks more, both in terms of timing ("better wait for daylight") and grouping ("I'm not going in there alone!").
3) It flet more like Dracula and less like Buffy.

We're still playing around with it, but it seems promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We hadn't that problem.

Dracula IS weak during day, but that's the hope for the Hunters...
Even during Night, he must be careful (Hunters can recover much more quickly and easily than him), but with some preparation (Custom Search, Trap, Rage, some nasty encounters, etc.) he can crush the opponent.

Finally, note that it's a matter of rolling dice!
(that's why I, as Dracula, prefer to evade combat relying on New Vampires and elapsed time to win)

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is about the hunters CATCHING dracula.
It IS like Buffy.

If you are going to make Dracula insane in combat, then it needs to be about the hunters surviving, not dracula surviving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Klempa wrote:
Dracula is the Prince of Darkness, Lord of the Undead, stronger and faster than any mere mortal.
In the six games we've played over the past week, Dracula has had the snot beat out of him in every combat, day or night (none of which were initiated by him).

Lord Godalming has the ability of Strong Body (which allows him to roll two combat dice when fighting an Agent. We have been trying out a new rule that gives Dracula a similar ability:

When Dracula himself is in combat, he roll two dice and takes the better result.

This had some gratifying effects. Dracula himself became more of a threat in that:
1) He now had a reason to try to get points by defeating an isolated Hunter, instead of always running away like a girly-man.
2) The Hunters, even though 'Itemed up', felt the need to coordinate their attacks more, both in terms of timing ("better wait for daylight") and grouping ("I'm not going in there alone!").
3) It flet more like Dracula and less like Buffy.

We're still playing around with it, but it seems promising.

I've seen two Hunter victories from two games. Both were very close - the first ending on the last turn on of the game (if Dracula had another turn, he would have clocked around to Dawn and won the game with 6 VP's). The other game was more a struggle - Dracula bottled up early in Eastern Europe, confined by wafers, consecrated ground and stormy seas (you don't get the Black Sea card back until it falls off the trail, right?). He was bought to battle, but sent Seward off to hospital courtesy of a vampire then a Dracula bite (2 VP's), then nearly did the same to Lord Godalming. If it wasn't for that blasted Sister Agatha card (Drac loses blood if he plays an escape card), Dracula would have fled and the game would have been on again. If Dracula is bottled up, he can turn nasty. Seems pretty balanced so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:

If Dracula is turned into a combat monster, then what is the point of the whole 'scotland yard' part of the game? Drac would just wait until nightfall and start hammering the hunters for the win.

Exactly. Playing scotland yard in which if you find Mr X, instead of winning, you roll a die and he rolls two and yours has to beat both of his, would be pretty dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea has merit, but does seem to be somewhat contentious.

How about he only rolls two dice at night, when his powers are at their maximum?

One could even stipulate that he gets two dice only at night and only when Dracula is not the one initiating the combat. If the hunters corner him at night, then better be very prepared!

During the day, and if he attacks at night, he is still rolling one die.

This would have the added effect of making day and night even more like, well, day and night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:

He was bought to battle, but sent Seward off to hospital courtesy of a vampire then a Dracula bite (2 VP's), then nearly did the same to Lord Godalming. If it wasn't for that blasted Sister Agatha card (Drac loses blood if he plays an escape card), Dracula would have fled and the game would have been on again.

Doesn't S. Agatha also cause Dracula to lose 2 blood when he play Fangs in combat (I don't have the cards in front of me now)? He must have really been fighting for his (un)life against that group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We hadn't that problem.
Dracula IS weak during day, but that's the hope for the Hunters...
Even during Night, he must be careful (Hunters can recover much more quickly and easily than him), but with some preparation (Custom Search, Trap, Rage, some nasty encounters, etc.) he can crush the opponent.

I waasn’t trying to say there was a ‘problem’. I didn’t even say the Dracula lost all the games I mentioned. I was just saying that, when he did have to fight, Dracula didn’t seem as formidable as his reputation would have us believe.

If I remember the book correctly, Dracula wasn’t weak during the day; he was weakER during the day. IIRC, when the Hunters found him in a warehouse during the day, he was carrying one of his crates of earth under his arm and still managed to streak on by them and escape.

Quote:
The game is about the hunters CATCHING Dracula.
It IS like Buffy.

I disagree. The game isn’t about catching Dracula; it’s about catching and defeating Dracula - something that (unlike with Buffy) is not supposed to be a done deal. Otherwise, why not make him like any other Vampire encounter (auto-kill during the day; roll a die at night, etc.)?

Quote:
This game relies on Dracula being vulnerable to the hunters both during the day and night.
If Dracula is turned into a combat monster, then what is the point of the whole 'scotland yard' part of the game? Drac would just wait until nightfall and start hammering the hunters for the win.
Exactly. Playing scotland yard in which if you find Mr X, instead of winning, you roll a die and he rolls two and yours has to beat both of his, would be pretty dumb.

Dracula is vulnerable (perhaps too much so) during the day and the night. Otherwise the prevailing wisdom wouldn’t be for him try to avoid all combat. I don’t think this makes him a combat monster, but it does puts the odds in his favor (perhaps too much so - see below). Theme-wise, I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

Quote:
How about he only rolls two dice at night, when his powers are at their maximum?

I agree that this variant may have been too much and we considered the very idea you mention, but we wanted to somehow make him superior to the humans in general.

How about this?
Day or night, if Dracula spends a blood point at the beginning of the combat round, he may throw two dice in combat and use the higher of the two results.

That way, the ‘extra push’ will be a player decision, and not one that will be a no-brainer, and not one he can make indefinitely. And it gives the Dracula player something to do besides run all the time.

I repeat, I don’t think the game is broken. This was a variant, not a 'fix'. That's why it's in this folder. Enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played yet but my reading of the rules suggested that dracula should be pretty formidable in combat. At least enough to make combat a viable option as opposed to only running all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr_Dove wrote:
I have not played yet but my reading of the rules suggested that dracula should be pretty formidable in combat. At least enough to make combat a viable option as opposed to only running all the time.

Dracula should only fight when the odds favor him. The game is structured in such a way that Dracula is always at a disadvantage during the day.
Against one lone hunter with poor equipment, or who is already hurt, the Count can go to town. Even then he will probably get hurt a bit. Against a well armed hunter, escape is the name of the game. The Count must always wear down hunters with event cards and encounters before he even thinks about attacking.
It takes a long time to heal in this game and there are 4 hunters and only one Dracula. If Dracula wins a fight but gets hurt doing so in the long run he has fallen behind.

Remember this game is based on the Novel, not the Movies. In the novel the Hunters confront Dracula three times. In the fight at Carfax Abbey the hunters are armed with crosses, stakes, and holy wafers. Dracula runs.
When he attacks Mina in her room, the count starts to fight then runs away once VanHelsing shows up with a Cross.
At Castle Dracula (during the day) a stake and a knife kill him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dave Klempa wrote:
I repeat, I don’t think the game is broken. This was a variant, not a 'fix'. That's why it's in this folder. Enjoy the game.

And a fine varient it is. I just think that it alters the flow of the game in a very big way (which was apparently your intent).

I am more excited by the hunt than the fight, and IMHO making Dracula too good a fighter makes the Hunt less interesting.

Your milage apparently varies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
camustafa wrote:

One could even stipulate that he gets two dice only at night and only when Dracula is not the one initiating the combat. If the hunters corner him at night, then better be very prepared!

During the day, and if he attacks at night, he is still rolling one die.

This would have the added effect of making day and night even more like, well, day and night...

Well, I have the old "polish" version and we played it in the way that during night Drac has +1 modifier to his dice. It seemed OK. Now I have also the latest and new version and again it seems OK, because dices are still just too random for any significant advantage.

-X-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.