J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
We got in a fun (but incomplete) game of Illuminati before the Oscars, but it was coming towards either a quick end or endless warfare.

My friend Scott was in town, and I've been playing Illuminati with him since Reagan was president. Add in Tim and Quyen as our fresh meat and you have a game.

We were playing the newest Deluxe edition which I had picked up recently to match the Y2K cards which had been in a corner gathering. My small plastic box edition had disappeared over the years, and while I do have a copy of the original deluxe edition, it was the non-color/non-Y2K matching edition, and was pretty janked up so I had decided to replace it.

We randomly assigned Illuminatis, with Scott drawing Cthulhu, Tim the Bavarians, Quyen the Burmuda Triangle and me the UFOs (I chose 25 transfer power as my secret agenda, but this was a mistake as without the card drawing of the Network, there just isn't enough transfer power being drawn).

I've always found that the UFOs is one of the harder Illuminatis to play. I started off trying to maximize by ability by making 2 attacks against weaker groups every turn. In three turns I was up to 6 groups, but my power structure was crippled with few open arrows and poorly positioned groups (which took me 2 turns of doing group moves to fix). It also made me look like a threat (when I was really not, but that's how game politics work out sometimes).

Fate frowned upon Bavaria, rolling 11-12 three times, really slowing them down. Burmuda was schleping up groups, and generally looking strong with good income. Cthulhu was controlling only 2 groups, but destroying like a madman, racing to 7 groups destroyed by the time we ended.

So, came to a situation that was familiar to us. Cthulhu was perched to destroy a group for the win, but had a tiny structure (only two groups) and a decent amount of money. The only way to stop them would have been to eliminate them from the game, and since we were quiting early, we just counted up the MBs. It would have taken about 85-90 MBs to get the rolls up to <10, and we had that between the 3 of us if we made some money transfers.

We still had a fun game, and as always, there were numerous humorous plays that came up:
The Fiendish Floridators controlling Las Vegas (a convention?).
Big Media being behind El Nino (fake news?)
Cthulhu destroying New York (take that King Kong!)
The Fraternal Orders controlling the Space Station (what are they up to!)

Two questions for those of you who are Illuminated:
a. Anyone know what W.I.T.C.H. stands for?
b. Am I crazy, or did Kiddie TV used to be named Bjornie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. :)

To answer your questions:

According to Wikipedia, W.I.T.C.H. was "'Women's International Terrorist Conspiracy from Hell,' but was also sometimes expanded as 'Women Inspired to Tell their Collective History,' 'Women Interested in Toppling Consumer Holidays,' and many other variations..." More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.I.T.C.H._%28organisation%29

And I do remember Bjornie being a card in INWO.

b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.