J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I picked up the lastest expansion to Munchkin and we gave it a try. We got in two games (with base Munchkin + expansions).

The first thing to be aware of is that (at least my copy) Munchkin 4 The Need for Steed noticeably differs in cardback color. The new expansion is much lighter, and sticks out like a sore thumb. Why this doesn't really matter for game play, it does bother me.

There are 112 new cards, so there are enough to come up with some regularity (especially when you can see them coming because of the lighter cardbacks!). My original Munchkin box is almost overflowing with all the cards along with the coverlets for the expansions.

This set features two types of cards -- Hirelings and Steeds. These card types require just enough additional rules to be somewhat confusing (ex: Steeds are large items, but don't count as large items, except when applying curses).

Our observation was that the these two new card types seem to change the balance of the game, more in favor the individual player. This is because Steeds are generally good -- they have a combat bonus along with other special abilities (often that allow escape).

Hirelings also give you combat bonuses. We were playing that hirelings could be sacrificed to avoid Bad Stuff when failing to run away, but in re-reading the rules, this is unclear (according to one player, sacrificing hirelings to avoid bad stuff is how this works in other Munchkin games).

The set also has a good number of reprint cards (classes, races, etc.) to keep the card mix balanced. But, the card pool is large enough now to be streaky, so even with the extra cards, some cards don't seem to come up as often as the used to (no Thief in either game).

In conclusion, Munchkin 4 The Need for Steed is just okay. Steeds and Hirelings (if we were playing them right) seemed to make the game a bit easier (because running away was more likely to happen). The humor/art of the set is very comparable to the previous sets, and is very Munchkiny. One game was won by an unstoppable Halfling riding a Fire-Breating Eagle Mount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The differently-colored cards are a good move, IMO. The cards that come with Munchkin Dice have this as well.

It allows you to more easily tell a Door card from a Treasure card. In fact, every Munchkin set besides the original and its sequels (Axe & Errors) takes the same bi-colored approach.

The problem, of course, is that the new cards stick out from the old cards. No real way around that, though. I hope they're planning on reprinting the other decks with the color change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think those sell well enough that there will be more printings. And they'll use the new styles at that time:

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archives.html?y=2005&m=January&d=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.