United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott introduced me to Bonaparte at Marengo a few weeks ago at one of our occasional wargame nights. I really liked the look of it, of course, and it was very interesting to play. I really enjoy block games and this captured that fog of war, but without the dice rolling that is usually present in other block games. It has a very tactical feel, but since you usually cannot do as much as you would like in a single turn, you need to have a long term strategy in mind. I thoroughly enjoyed playing face to face, so Scott and I arranged a play by email game using Cyberboard.

The game started similarly to our ftf game, as I once again played the Austrians. Scott played a fairly agressively defending French while I tried to slow things down a bit in the first few turns, not activating many French units until I had a larger contingent accross the river. I slowly made progress, but Scott was making it difficult putting up stiff resistance rather than falling back. Because of this I was slowly accumulating a bit of a lead in the morale race, but Scott still had a comfortable amount. I was feeling good because of my lead in morale, but then Scott executed a very nice pincer style attack with two cavalry units that didn't cause me any morale damage, but did definitely stall my advance for several turns. I was just beginning to get things rolling again when Scott made a critical error which allowed me two swing my forces around the swamp, cutting off the retreat of two units there which were then eliminated by a manuever attack from which he was forced to retreat. This was a four morale point hit. I also had a successful bombardment and assault on the southern road in the same turn, so hit him for six morale points in one turn. This knocked him down to three while I have fourteen. I also had one of his units surrounded behind my lines, which was another morale point in hand. All this happened about the 5pm turn...leaving me plenty of time to push hard and hit him for a few more morale points for the win.

I really enjoy this game, although have only played it twice. The tradeoffs between morale, time, and territory, are extremely interesting and of course the emphasis on manuever over straight out assaults is quite satisfying. I've only played as the Austrians so far and look forward to many more plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get a gamebox for this game for Cyberboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a google search for BaM Ladder Page. Dick's got everything you need

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
The BaM ladder is at http://www.firish.com/BaM/BaM.html

There are a couple of different gameboxes there, one with a very nice looking period style map.

Great game, I just signed up for the next round of the ladder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.