Subject: GMT POP crash, some orders lost... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I don't work for GMT, but thought that anyone here who'd put in an order in the last few days might want to see the note below posted at Consimworld by Gene from GMT. If you put an order in via email between Friday and today, it may have been lost in the crash:

Quote:
Man, WHAT a day, already. We came in this morning to discover that our main e-mail POP account crashed late Friday, and all the orders from Friday about midday to this morning were gone. Ugh. We DO have AOL as a cc on the orders, but as some have noted herein, AOL sometimes drops e-mail. So we know we have MOST of the orders (via aol), but have no idea really how many we lost. The e-mail server is finally back up, so we should be good to go know now - but there is no master record with the ISP (they don't back up their e-mail server, or so they tell us) of those 2 1/2 days of orders.

Mitch has added some code to our Order Scripts that will automatically cc another of our e-e-mail accounts if an order sent to the main account fails in the future, so hopefully we'll have a fail-safe if this ever happens again.

David Brown: If there was ONE order I wanted to see get through, it was yours, but - Mr Murphy being all over us at the moment - it was among the lost. I know you sent it because we got your response to the Order Confirmation e-mail. Ugh again! I told Letitia this morning "He's never going to believe this - who would?" So, David, Letitia will be CALLING you shortly to get the cc info and finally get this all straightened out. I told her to ship your games via air but charge you no shipping whatsoever. I hope that will help.

Hope you guys are having a better day than we are so far....Don't worry, we're not giving up - just not a real fun Monday yet.

Enjoy the games!

Gene

url: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@51.PDbdbXPtRZM.638773@.1d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am surprised that this is the way that they do orders, especially because they have credit card inputs on their site. They should have it write a file to the server or add an entry to a database. As it is now, there are possibly unprotected emails floating about with CC numbers in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't do orders like that. They only use emails for people who have already given them payment info on their secure order page and maybe just want to add a P-500 order by stating so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You sure?

Quote:
Todd, it was orders that went through our Order Page, only. That page sends a secure SSL e-mail to our gmtorders mail server - the server that went down. It sends a cc to gmtoffice@aol.com, which is why we salvaged most (we think) of them. [...] Gene

He does say that they are SSL encrypted emails though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin, I'm not sure which forum you posted your message to originally, but it is now in the GMT publisher forum area.

I just posted a similar message in the General->Press Releases area. We'll see if the moderators allow that one to stay or if they relegate it to obscurity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on the front page...wouldn't call that obscure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a shame. I hope orders don't get lost...but I expect word will filter through to everyone soon enough about what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I hope orders don't get lost...

Especially pre-orders... arrrh

Seriously, I stand corrected: Robin's article did appear on the front page, for those who have the Game Forums+ list active.

I sent a message (via PM) to Aldie expressing my wish for articles of this type to stay in the general area rather than being moved to the publishers' forum, at least for a couple days. Ignoring the issue of whether folks have Game Forums+ on their front page, an article scrolls off Game Forums+ much faster than in the general Forums area. This is a post where the extra persistence on the front page would have been helpful in notifying readers who may have been affected.

Still, it's good to have these forums on BGG in the first place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.