Subject: Jump right to TtR:E? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played TtR. Is TtR:E also easy to learn? I was thinking of jumping right to TtR:E partly for the theme. It looks like a cool way to teach your kids about European cities and countries (without their realizing it, of course ). Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fine...try it on daysofwonder.com first if you're unsure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra rules for Europe shouldn't stop you, it is still a simple game to explain and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it up. Don't even hesitate. It's a great game, easy to learn, and fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Sinister Dexter wrote:
I've never played TtR. Is TtR:E also easy to learn? I was thinking of jumping right to TtR:E partly for the theme. It looks like a cool way to teach your kids about European cities and countries (without their realizing it, of course ). Thanks.

The rules for TtR basic can be taught in under 3 minutes, and the new rules for TtR:E take maybe another 2. TRANSEUROPE takes not much more, and I think it covers some cities not in TtR:E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must warn you that TTR:Europe has 50% more rules than regular TTR.

Which brings the total number of rules to about 6 or so....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it. It'll be just as easy to learn. I also think Europe is a the better game of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Pelletier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should not be a problem. Both are easy to learn. There are three extra rules in TTR:Europe. They take about an extra minute or two to explain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it. If you do not like the extra rules (tunnels, stations, and ferries) just ignore them and don't use them. Treat the wild tunnels and ferries as generic wild routes and don't use the stations. However, I like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd recommend going straight to TtR:Europe. IMHO the routes are better set up to cause more player conflict. I say this as the experience seems to be fairly consistent regardless of the number of players involved. This is likely because many routes go though the Paris area. I think 4 of the six longballs run through this same general area.

In contrast I found that the original TtR got better the more players you had (maximum paranoia occurs at 5). In fewer player games of the original there was often less player interaction. People will run routes North - South either on the West, East or Central areas. Longballs across the country don't necesarily overlap either.

My wife and I went to buy a copy of Ticket right after Europe came out; and were torn on whether to get the original or the new flavour. We ended up with Europe and in our opinion the new rules just make the game much better. The end game stays exciting because the new stations allow you to scoop routes using other players tracks.

Given the choice between playing TtR and TtR:Europe I'll choose Europe everytime.

Cheers

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever jumping, always remember safety first. Only jump to TtR:E if the height difference between you and the game is less than 5 feet per jump. You can increase that distance to 15 feet if you're a certified jumper. Also remember that it may take multiple jumps and become quite tiresome as the lateral distance between you and the game increases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Puddy Tat wrote:
I'd recommend going straight to TtR:Europe. IMHO the routes are better set up to cause more player conflict.

Yes, I was lucky enough ot have Alan Moon himself go over that with me specifically - the route layouts are indeed designed to force competition in a couple different ways

a) fewer "dual routes" that can be shared by 2 players (22 vs. 9)
b) many many more short routes - there's the one 8-space route, a meager number of 6 spaces, and everything else is 5 spaces or less. In addition to making the collecting of enough cards to take a route easier, it also makes the "card hoarding" strategy less rewarding - spend too much time doing that and you'll be shut out of half the board.

Between the 2, TtR:E games should consistently be both faster and more competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.