Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Contribution cards are played face up or face down in turn order. Does this mean that each player can see which contributions are being accepted (face up) by preceding players and which of the preceding players are turning down contributions (but not their amount) or is the card play to be screened from other players and then revealed simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I'm an expert at all, but in my experience, you see what previous players choose. If they choose to play it face up and take the money, you will see this. If they choose to play it face down, you will know this before your turn (given that their turn is before yours). You will not have any knowledge about the players that come after you. Those that kept their cards face down all reveal simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
Contribution cards are played face up or face down in turn order. Does this mean that each player can see which contributions are being accepted (face up) by preceding players and which of the preceding players are turning down contributions (but not their amount) or is the card play to be screened from other players and then revealed simultaneously?

We have always played screened and simultaneously revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree - this is most definitely not the right way.

"Beginning with the start player, each player in turn has to select one of their Contribution Cards and places it in front of them. If they wish to accept the contribution they play the card face up, if however they wish to decline the contribution, they play it face down."

"in turn" pretty much rules out any "simultaneous" action, and it's pretty clear the "face upedness" or "face downedness" is public knowledge.

Turn order is pretty important in this game, including in this subtle way. If I go last I have the benefit of knowing who all ahead of me has played their cards face up (and how much they're accepting) and who has played face down (but not how much they're declining).

- Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely. The rules here are crystal clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, the first time we played this we used hand covering the cards and simultaneous reveal. It was thought that in order for it to be unknown who was giving up the greatest contribution, it would have to be secret. It felt awkward, so afterwards I reread the rules and thought that we had indeed done it wrong. Placing the card face down keeps it a secret and turn order gets increased importance that way (giving more reason to bid higher for the right to select starting player).

Being that I am still new to the game, and there are far more experienced players here on the Geek, I wanted to make sure that I did it right this Saturday when we play again. Seems a clear consensus is to play in turn order unscreened for all players afterwards to use for additional information.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.