Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Haskell
United States
Geneseo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Descent a while back and me and my brothers really enjoy playing it. I've been thinking about picking up Doom and Runebound, but am afraid they may be too similar and be a waste of money.

I am most reluctant about Doom because it is essentially Descent with a different theme. If the game play is not all that different then I think I'll pass this one up.

Runebound is a little different. It's a totally different game but it has the same theme. We are big fantasy fans but is it good enough to compete for table space over Descent?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom is similar and I think Descent is the better game (mostly because of the theme). Runebound, however, is a much different experience--more like Magic Realm than Descent. That said, I prefer the similar Return of the Heroes. It has a better ruleset, plays faster and doesn't suffer as much from runaway leader syndrone as Runebound does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
WLHaskell wrote:
I bought Descent a while back and me and my brothers really enjoy playing it. I've been thinking about picking up Doom and Runebound, but am afraid they may be too similar and be a waste of money.

I am most reluctant about Doom because it is essentially Descent with a different theme. If the game play is not all that different then I think I'll pass this one up.

Runebound is a little different. It's a totally different game but it has the same theme. We are big fantasy fans but is it good enough to compete for table space over Descent?

Thanks!

Oddly, while I ultimately found it unsatisfying, I'd shill for WORLD OF WARCRAFT: THE BOARDGAME.

I was dissatisfied with the PvP element (just not what I was hoping for), found combat a bit too involved, and felt the Quests lacked variety in overall challenge, but if you like these kinds of games, the combat system was different, the potential character development was surprisingly deep, and while the overall level difficulty didn't seem all that varied to me, exactly where, when, and what kind of challenge was definitely designed to be very different each time. I'd swear it's almost guaranteed to be diffeent enough to warrant a look, though I'd be interested in hearing what others more familiar with it than I think about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
since we play descent, doom never hit the table again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Doom for $1. I'm sure other people did as well. I have already traded the extras away, but keep an eye out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rumsey
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy Doom, Descent, and Runebound (I have both the 1st and 2nd editions). As I am sometimes more collector than player I would have to say, get them all.

However seeing that Doom is pretty much Descent with slight different (some say inferior) rules and a different setting, you might want to pass on that one. Runebound is a different game though and with all of the expansions out (and coming out) looks to stay on my gaming table for quite a while.

Now, having said that, I'll second the recommendation of Return of the Heroes. I actually prefer it to Runebound as it has a modular board, changing goals, and slightly better rules (although the rule book could have been written better).

So, the collector in me says buy them all! The more rational part of me says pass on Doom and pick up either Runebound or Return of the Heroes. And of course, get the expansions for whichever one you decide on too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the FFG games, I'd skip Doom and Runebound as your next purchase and go with World of Warcraft the Boardgame instead. It think it's a lot more interesting than the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haskell
United States
Geneseo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

wow! thanks guys. I think I may skip out on doom. But now that I've eliminated doom, you havee suggested return of the heroes and WoW! I have been looking at both of these and the argument of RotH vs Runebound has been beaten to death already, but I'm gonna ask anyway. Which one? I don’t think I'm in to WoW, mostly because my brother loves WoW for the computer and will probably break someday and buy it himself. My belief now is RotH > Runebound, but I haven’t played either of them. I asked about runebound initially just because of our success with Descent.

Cromaa wrote:
I own and enjoy Doom, Descent, and Runebound (I have both the 1st and 2nd editions). As I am sometimes more collector than player I would have to say, get them all.

..ah if only tuition wasn’t so much(or my pockets weren’t so shallow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't rule out Doom, its pretty good. The improvements made in Descent have circled back to Doom in the expansion. Both are miniature combat games, it really depends on what theme you prefer.

Runebound is quite good also, especially since there are tons of expansions that keep it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Descent does not really supersede DOOM. DOOM's "balance issues" never bothered me (except for the Dud card, which has been fixed). DOOM is a more intense, desperate experience than Descent, which is a stronger in character development but is also bit more ponderous. Both are excellent in their own way, but they each have very different moods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.