BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a card game like munchkin, but more serious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I like this game, but its a little too goofy for me to buy. I am looking for something with the same elements of this game but more serious (maybe a little more complex too). I like the RPGish elements of the game. Basically I am attempting to try to get a non-collectable card based game that is 1) heavily tied into a theme 2)has little or no "trick-taking" qualites. All the card games I look at: Scarab lords, Blue Moon, Babel, Roma, Battleline, all seem to have no real connection to there theme and have too many trick-taking elements. Do any card games out there take some basic RPG elements and make a card game out of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ginn
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something from the Dungeoneer series might be just what you're looking for:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/metasearch.php?searchtype=game&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Isn't that more of a dungeon crawl? I have Descent, so I am not looking for another crawl. Thanks though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another popular RPG card game that I see played a lot at one of the local game stores is "Paranoia Mandatory Card Game". I don't know if its heavier of lighter so you'll have to do your own investigation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Kuipers
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Camelot Legends?
Saga?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quest for Faysylwood but it doesn't work for two players. Three or four players are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

If you are looking for good themes in a card game (non-collectible) that aren't necessarily "Tolkein fantasy" themes, try:

Battlecards: Russian Front. There are several sets of this WWII game representing different theaters (but you don't mix them together; each one is its own theater, but it can be fun to play with people playing each theater seperately for an overall world war feel). It's luck element can get in the way sometimes, but is still a pretty good light game with good artwork (cards include all the cool tanks, ships, etc even Hitler and Churchill). If you choose to try one of these sets, the Russian Front is the best by far as it has some "evening out" elements that can keep one side from running away with the game.

I like Chez Geek for really lighthearted fun. Plays quicker than Munchkin (one of my LEAST favorite card games, even though I am, like you, a major fan of the fantasy genre; just not good mechanics with Munchkin).

Starship Cataan is another really cool game. It isn't strictly a card game, but uses cards to create a "random" universe to explore (and exploit) in a great 2 player game.

Overthrone is a trick taking game that has some great strategy to it (but it IS a trick taking game).

Dragonhunter sounds like it might be interesting, but I haven't played it and don't know too much of specifics about it.

And there was another game I can't remember the name of where each player gets a party of fantasy characters and plays different kind of weapon or magic hit cards on opposing parties. It was pretty cool; if I remember the name, I'll let you know.

And there's always the wonderful (though out of print) Up Front, a card game based on the excellent Squad Leader wargame. I've had lots of fun with this one!

Good gaming to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found the game I was thinking of. It's called "The Challenge."

Pretty fun little dungeon party vs. dungeon party game. You can mix and match or play all elves against all orcs. Each race has Fighters, thieves, clerics, and magic users.

I think it's out of print, but I still get a lot of enjoyment out of this quick, light game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me speak up in favor of Dungeoneer. The "crawl" element is fairly light. You do move around on a small map built up out of map cards to get to the your quest locations, but that serves mainly as a device to pace how fast players level up. The main dynamic is slowing down other players with traps, tricks and monsters from your own hand while trying to build up your own character with cool powers and equipment.

The cheapest way to try the system would be with one of the one-deck, two player sets (Den of the Wererats, or Haunted Woods of Malthorian). If you find it interesting, get one of the larger two deck sets and then you can combine them for more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dungeoneer is actually NOTHING like Descent, barring a fantasy theme. It is far closer to what you're describing as a game similar to Munchkin but more seriously themed than you're giving it credit for. It is a card-based strategy game with RPG elements (basically the roleplaying is that each player is a single character that increases in power over the course of the approximately hour-long game). But the game elements are strategic in that each player is choosing to play cards that help themselves (on their player turn) or hurt and/or hinder their opponents.

Descent and other crawl games, have either a Dungeon Master player who is there to provide the opponent-factor, or are programmed to provide the same. It is typically players against the DM or players against the dungeon.

By making the out-of-hand discount of the Dungeoneer series, you've pretty much excluded your closest match. I certainly feel, if you are really serious about finding a match to your needs, that you should give this a closer look. It's not expensive, and as was mentioned above, you can get a feel for the game with one of the cheap half-size expansions (but those are good basically only for 2 players, which the rest of the set is good for 2 or more players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks guys. I am gonna give Dungeoneer another look, now that I know it's not a crawl. I have been looking at Camelot Legends too. What do you guys think of Kung Fu Fighting? I know it's not RPG-like, but still, any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not RPG-based games but you should take a look at BANG! and maybe Citadels.

(Personal note: IMHO your thread title is pretty funny. The whole point of Munchkin is that it is pretty goofy and not serious at all. Your title is like asking for a car like a Mini Cooper but bigger. laugh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Yea, I know its kinda funny, but I really like Munchkin's mechanics. So I was hoping to find other games with the same idea

Oh yea....I forgot to mention, I am looking for a game that is good with 2 players. I have heard citadels is best with three or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if Citadels is what you are looking for, but there is a two player variant (posted here on the geek) that works quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2-player rules included with Citadels; no need for a third party variant. I think it's excellent. Definitely better than Citadels with 4 or more. It is not, however, much like Munchkin. There are some "take-that" elements, but they involve out-thinking your opponent, not card play.

I don't think there's much to Munchkin other than the humor. Could you perhaps enlighten me on which particular elements you're looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
Although not RPG-based games but you should take a look at BANG! and maybe Citadels.

(Personal note: IMHO your thread title is pretty funny. The whole point of Munchkin is that it is pretty goofy and not serious at all. Your title is like asking for a car like a Mini Cooper but bigger. laugh )

Isn't the new Mini just that, a car like the real Mini, but bigger? I had one of the old ones, and the difference in size is pretty noticeable 142.8 inches long, 2524 lb for the new mini, vs 120 inches, 1314 lb!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.