Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now ... how much truth is there in that statement? I've played Memoir 44 sometime ago with a friend and his dice rolls were incredible. In two attacks he can wipe out an entire infantry and tank regiment. I told him that his luck was fantastic that day but he replied that his dice rolls are good is due to the fact that he tries to think "happy thought" whenever he rolls the dice. FYI, my luck stayed bad throughout the entire game because I got more and more frustrated when my units could not even shoot straight.

Now have any of you ever done something like this before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this silly superstition feeling that I have to know exactly what I need to roll before rolling the dice. As I roll, I must say the number out loud so the dice know what number I need. Yes, I'm nuts but I still always tell my dice the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Oh yes! We've had some phenomenal "bad rolls" in our ongoing GAME of "Fortress America" between "gwen"-(of Belgium) and myself, where in just '1'-"Battle" for "Seattle" when we had like '6'-"Bombers" that managed to ALL "miss" with their "die rolls"! Now, we're talking about "d10s" here that HIT with a '5' or higher, or RETREAT on a '1' so that's like 70% CHANCE of 'something'!
"hors`ors de combat" indeed
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:
I have this silly superstition feeling that I have to know exactly what I need to roll before rolling the dice. As I roll, I must say the number out loud so the dice know what number I need. Yes, I'm nuts but I still always tell my dice the number.

Funny! my 7 yo daughter is the same way. She wants to know the number she needs. closes her eyes while shaking the dice in her hands and chants the number out loud several times. she refuses to break this routine. non of us do it so it's something she came up with herself and she is a firm believer in it's ability. The scary thing is, she often seems to get what she asks for from the dice..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter's superstition for Heroscape is that she'll only pick up the dice from the table that are showing shields or skulls. Sometimes she has to knock them on the floor to get enough. Then she chants the number of skulls/shields she needs as she shakes them.

I don't think it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Evans
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superstition = OCD

My subconscious thanks you for new activities it can obsess with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:

Hmmm I have a feeling that the friend of mine would just say the things/number he needs in his head, sometimes out loud, before rolling the dice (oh Great Dice God, let me roll four infantry icons and I will stop eating McDonalds for a week) and he usually gets what he needs. Me on the other hand has no such luck and even though I have tried being positive in all respects when rolling the dice, it does not usually work for me.

I guess I just have to find diceless games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, I think you are selling yourself short. Your die rolls for other games are disgustingly fantastic. I've played enough games with you to know that.

Remember how you said you never want to use a dice tower cos it's used to evenly roll the dice, and you didn't want it to mess up your roll?

Memoir 44 is the only game that I've played against you whereby my rolls are eerily good. It is true though, my dice rolls in MM'44 are scary. I've used infantry to wipe out his elite tank units before. There was this other time where I used a half strength infantry unit to attack another tank unit and I still won.

MM'44 dice love me.

And I don't think happy thoughts when I roll. I have a hypothesis that negative feelings make for negative rolls, and once that starts, it'll spiral downwards and your luck gets worse and worse. It's important not to think happy thoughts either, as disappointment is more intense when you roll up something bad. The key is to blank your mind of all thoughts when rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.