Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P FZB
France
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,
I bought JAVA this week end and played my first game tonight...
It is definetely a good game.
But we had a question.
The player who plays the last 3-space land tile, will do his final turn with his 6 AP. Then he will score his points.
Then clockwise the other player will do their final turn and then score their points.
The question/remark is / in that case the player who draws the last 3-space tile is missing one turn ??
As the other players will have more turn.

Example with the 56 tiles with 2 players:
A: Tile1 - Tile3 .... - Tile 55
A plays 28 turn.

B : tile2 - tile4 ... tile 56
B draws the 56th 3 space tile and then scores.
B plaayed 28 turns and stops.
B just triggered the final round.

A plats the last turn and then scores...
A played 29 turns.

Am I doing something wrong or did I misundertood the rules ???

Thanks i will really appreciate your help....
As my friends did
Pierre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Hedden
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The player who plays the last 3-space land tile, will do his final turn with his 6 AP. Then he will score his points.
Then clockwise the other player will do their final turn and then score their points.
The question/remark is / in that case the player who draws the last 3-space tile is missing one turn ??
As the other players will have more turn.

You are correct - if the start player is not the one who takes the last 3-space land tile, then it is possible for some players to get one more turn. At first, I was also concerned about this possibility, and even thought there might be an advantage to trying to be sure to *not* use the last 3-space tile when the game is about to end. After all, then you'd get a full extra turn *without* having to spend an action point to place a land tile if you don't want to.

In practice, however, it turns out that it can be quite an advantage to be the player who uses up the last 3-space tile. Why? 1)You get to choose when the end-game starts, which you'll presumably only do if it is advantageous to you. 2)You can use that last 3-space tile to raise the rank of one or more of your developers or to expand a city, whereas other players must rely on using only any tiles they have left in their personal supply. 3)Being the first to score, you have the opportunity to place your developers into positions that will either block access or make it very expensive (action-point-wise) for others to get into scoring position in the higher-scoring cities.

Because of these advantages, I don't think the game is unfairly biased against the player who uses the last 3-space tile and may even slightly favor the player who gets this opportunity. If you're in a position where using up the last tile would not be to your advantage, don't use it - use one of your personal tiles instead (sometimes using one of your single rice paddies can satisfy the tile-placement requirement - a really good use of it is to break someone off from a high-scoring city - and then you're free to move your developers into better positions so that you're ready for your scoring turn).

This is a really good game, and you'll pick up on some of these strategies after just a few plays. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
The guy who really takes it in the shorts is the last guy to play in a 4-player game, because every player before him built up to reach the highest level and he has to build even more.

Tell me about it! Played my own first game tonight and sat in that exact position.

On top of that, I had used up my private tile stock thinking that they would be wasted if I didn't get them out before the end came up. (very bad idea)

New players really need to understand how that last round works in order to have any kind of chance. Even then, the last to play seems like they'd always get stiffed as everyone crowds the board with their developers, cutting off routes even if there were any points left to be had soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.