Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often wondered why I see these great micromachines for Star Wars have often wondered why there aren't any space based or ground based epic miniature games and miniatures. I love Star Trek space games, and Heavy Gear and I know there was and is a current Star Wars miniature game. I just wanted something like Star Fleet Battles or WarHammer Epic. I don't even know if I would buy it, well maybe a space warfare game. Just wondering.

George L. this maybe another way to milk Star Wars fans out of more money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
West End Games made a mini game...but I think the mini's weren't very easy to find...

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/7420

They also made a starfighter game...not mini's, but hex based space combat...

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/3593

Edit: Sorry, missed that you said there were and are SW mini games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't an epic game but West End made a few games (Hoth, etc).

Star Wars gamer released a tactical space combat game (FREE!) based on the Silent Death system. The link to download the game is through the game page here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8410

They also released a Hoth based game that I will post shortly to BGG as a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's not Star Wars licensed, but SPI/AH's Freedom in the Galaxy is pretty epic from what I understand and a pretty blatant rip-off of the Star Wars theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the cost of the licensing fees would make it difficult to make an epic scale star wars game viable. I'd imagine that a game based on 15mm or below would only tap into a smaller market within the gaming community, probably not enough make up for the licensing fees and the headache of other contractual obligations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial thought for a ground-based miniature game is that it would be too difficult to incorporate the force into it. I imagine that it would be hard to make a balancing act for characters like Luke who can take out an AT-AT walker on foot. --Funny I should think that as I own Assault on Hoth but have yet to crack it open... it doesn't strike me as a grand epic scale like SFB or WH, but I think the force would be a hard aspect to balance out... but I'm sure someone will someday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WotC is making a Star Wars minis game involving vehicle combat. It will not (my understanding) be made as an expansion to their Star Wars Miniatures battles game but will instead be a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hisst Ka wrote:
WotC is making a Star Wars minis game involving vehicle combat.

Starship combat, specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Ground Zero Games. They offer two different games: "Full Thrust" for ship-to-ship combat and "Dirtside II" for ground combat. The best thing is that, since they are out of print, the publisher has made them available for free download.

You can get them here:
http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi?page=downloads.htm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that thinks "the force" and "jedi" and all that crap make star wars boring as hell? Star Wars was way cooler when Jedi were mysterious rumors and practically extinct.

What is cool about Star Wars is the space battles, the gun battles and the vehicle battles. If there was a game that portrayed all that coolness, I would totally be on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Toppe
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Clone Wars would lend themselves nicely to an ASL style Star Wars game. And after Order 66, don't need to worry about too many Jedi running around

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Metal wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks "the force" and "jedi" and all that crap make star wars boring as hell? Star Wars was way cooler when Jedi were mysterious rumors and practically extinct.

What is cool about Star Wars is the space battles, the gun battles and the vehicle battles. If there was a game that portrayed all that coolness, I would totally be on it.

You're probably not the only one who thinks that, though I disagree.

I am looking forward to the space combat game -- I want to recreate the opening of Revenge of the Sith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Tsukuda Hobby of japan produced at least 3 SW games (Hoth,Endor,and Deat Star.)Rarer than hen's teeth,though...

Also there are the SW Miniatures Battles books that were made by West End.

And there are plenty of conversions on the web for both Full Thrust and Dirtside.

MD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maksim Smelchak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

There have been a number of Star Wars games... mostly starfighter games though.

Most of the minis game have focussed on 28mm skirmish combat.

I also know of quite a few Dirtside II Star Wars scenarios and have played many of them.

I have designed a tactical minis game called "Planetfall" that I'm developing.

I ran a number of "Star Wars: The Battle of Hoth" games last year with a 10mm Hoth set I built. I'm thinking of doing a revamped Endor in the near future.

I think the biggest problem in making a Star Wars game is the licensing from Lucasfilm. They can be tricky to work with.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.