Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris van Wyk
South Africa
Stellenridge, Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi people,

So you've played most of the Scenarios. What is next? I have been thinking about the following based on a similar discussion going on over at ConsimWorld:

1. How many of you have taken the step going to full ASL?
2. How many of are thinking of going full ASL, but something is holding you back. What is that something?

Keep well
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
I'm not moving on. The starter kit is pretty advanced and I don't need to add more rules to make me enjoy the game more.

I'm fine where I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m still playing the SK´s, but I already have the full rulebook and paratrooper, and Beyond Valor is on its way.

So, I can say I´m going to full ASL as soon ans time permits, as I have already played a litlle with the full rules and have been hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
If you really enjoy the Starter kits and the game is rich enough for you as it stands then by all means, stay with the starter kits. Keep in mind that there are only going to be three modules produced (maybe a 4th, an historical mod) and that will be it. Other than the one new scenario put out in operations magazine maybe twice a year, it will end there.

On the other hand, if you have the means and want the ultimate in a game system then you need to jump into full blown ASL. Is it more difficult? Yes! Is it more fun? Yes! There are more rules, the cost is far superior to that of the SK's but the possibilities are endless. Every nationality is represented in every theater of operation and there are almost an infinite amount of scenarios out there to be played.

The Historical modules alone are worth the leap, just don't make Blood Reef Tarawa your first venture. I have been playing ASL regularly about once a week for the last two years with a friend who played it several years ago but stopped due to lack of opponents, we learned/re-learned the game pretty fast with perserverance and at this point rules references are fewer and far between.

To make a long story short, go for broke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm trying to move on up as well, though facing barriers:

-not enough time to play games generally
-other games to play
-most of my gaming with family who are too young or not interested in tactical wargames

---------> I don't play enough to retain all that stuff

-the rulebook is a beast. while some sections are well-written, some are most assuredly not (i.e. wait 'til you try to read the section on off board artillary. YIKES!!!!). Also, there are some things that are, for me, just too ridiculously detailed (i.e. there's a section in the terrain chapter that refers to a terrain type that only occurs ONCE on one of the 50+ boards. That's complete madness in my book; the blaze rules; etc.). I was happily reading the rules until a couple of badly written sections late in Chapter A and then the excess of the terrain chapter (if presented well, much of it could be *much* briefer and clearer) stopped me cold. Now I've gone back and run into oba......

-----------> Excess of detail in some areas stops me cold. I suspect I will likely go forward, but attempt to ignore some of that excess.....

-----------> Some of the poorly structured/written sections of the rules make it difficult for me to make the leap.

I'm not entirely convinced that the sk's will actually stop at 3 plus one haslsk. I know there is debate within the asl community and some aslers are not happy with the continued support of the aslsk's, but my bet is that in the long run the customer base for aslsk will be large enough that mmp would be doing too much harm to their business to not keep providing materials....The aslers, unhappy or not, will continue to buy asl stuff, while the sk people will buy sk stuff, and a few of the latter will transition to the former.....if they don't provide more sk stuff on a semi-regular basis they'll be undermining their longterm asl and aslsk business....

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over on Strategy Zone Online I put out a call for new players that would like to learn more about ASL. I have a couple of games going right now.

I think I should post a similar call for new players here. Over on SZO I'm getting the guys who have played a dozen or so games and already have a steady stream of games lined up. They are learning the ins and outs outside our game as well. And that's ok.

But here at BGG I think I could really help someone who is moving out of ASLSK and into ASL.

Would anyone be interested in teaching games?

What I mean by this is a game where you can ask questions about anything while we are playing. I would give advice on how the game flows in general and help someone get their feet on the ground. It's a lot easier to read the ASL Rulebook after you know the rules.

I don't have time right now as I am helping a couple other guys and have my own games to enjoy. But if I came back in a few weeks, would anyone be ready to jump from ASLSK to ASL or just right into ASL?

I would be using VASL (unless you live in the south suburbs of Chicago or willing to travel). Perhaps with VASL we could have a group?

Anyway, for those serious about looking into ASL, please drop me a line here at the geek and we can see how the response is and set up something.

Later,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys!

Our group (my friend and me, so it's really a small group are using some rules from the full ASLRB: Spraying Fire, Snipers and Heat of Battle. We're thinking about using Bypass Movement and some special terrain type rules, like Factories. I have the SK1, SK2 and the 2nd Edition ASLRB, and I want to order Beyond Valor (currently not enough funds) and I wait to the SK3.

My biggest problem is the "language" of the rulebook. More example, more comment/explanation like Jay's ROF article. But, usually if I have a problem somebody, from here the BGG always helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with full ASL and went backwards. I like the SK scenarios and rules because a lot of the trash in full ASL isn't necessary to having a quick fun game. There is still a lot of awesome in Beyond Valor and I would suggest making the leap whenever you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I've got the Rulebook and BV on order, and I can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Benn
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse you ASL - I've already bought the rulebook, BV and King and Country and am going to the Heroes convention in Blackpool at the weekend. Why, why did I let myself get sucked in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought SK1 and SK2, largely because they were so cheap, I'm interested in WWII, and I've always had a secret yen to play wargames. I've played the first three scenarios of SK1 with a live opponent.

As for my ASL future, the jury is still out, but right now I'm not planning to go beyond SK2 (I may not even play SK2). My situation and my reasoning are:

* I have limited time for gaming, what with work, other sports/hobbies, and a young family

* Eurogame rules are quicker to learn and easier to retain; I can come back to one of my many Euros and pick up the rules again in a couple of minutes. I know I haven't played ASL SK much, but there are so many rules (e.g. all the fiddly FP modifiers) that it's difficult to remember them even when I play once a month (and I don't have time to play more, see first bullet). If my opponent was a newbie like me instead of a seasoned ASL vet, imagine how many rules mistakes we'd make!

* I can play Euros with my SO, our families, and our friends; this level of flexibility is very important when your gaming opportunities are limited

* Full ASL is too costly. I think once full-ASLers have bitten the bullet and bought the rulebook for $80 (!), they enter some kind of twilight economic zone where suddenly nothing seems expensive any more. Well I can buy Puerto Rico for somewhat less than that and play the quoit out of it for years without having to buy any more modules, etc.

Naturally this is all a product of my situation and my gaming background, other people may well have the time and the money to throw at ASL, and good luck to them. Whatever ships your coffee!

I will keep an open mind about simpler wargames that don't have quite as fiddly rules, e.g. Sergeants, A&A Minis, and Target Arnhem. Hardcore grognards (nearly wrote "grognads" then, curse you) will scoff at such lightweight fare, but for my situation they are at just the right level of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:
I have picked up the Second Edition rule book, Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, For King & Country, Hollow Legions and Pegasus Bridge.

Beyond Valor is outstanding.

Pegasus Bridge is fun and probably the easiest of the Historical Modules, I recommend getting this on the table asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Humm
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that I'll move on past the SKs as I have a combination of limited time (I also play RPG and other boardgames), lack of opponents and scale of investment required - as I'd want the Brits that means buying the rules, Beyond Valour and For King and Country, costing me around 160-70 pounds (approx 230 US Dollars) which is a lot of cash when I can pick up minis to add to my existing collection and give me plenty of playing fun for much less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonsterMash wrote:
... I can pick up minis to add to my existing collection ...

Just out of curiosity, what minis are these? I couldn't see any mini-based games in your profile...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not sure that I'll move on past the SKs...
MMP has just posted ASLSK#3 for preorder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:
... Beyond Valor is outstanding.

Could you go into more detail please, Ted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Humm
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game_boy wrote:
MonsterMash wrote:
... I can pick up minis to add to my existing collection ...

Just out of curiosity, what minis are these? I couldn't see any mini-based games in your profile...

Most of the games I have aren't here as they're not collectable minis games, but wargames rules sold separately. I thought I'd put Johnny Reb in, but maybe time to update the profile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Curtis
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in with those also moving into ASL. In fact, my path has been a little odd. After reading the SK#1 rules I got on VASL to see if it might be possible to hook up with a mentor there. In fact I did, but we jumped right into a full ASL game. We played the Guards Counterattack, which is an early Squad Leader game that did not include guns or vehicles, so it was pretty good for someone who had just read the SK#1 rules. I had already bought the full rule set, so a quick review of the sniper rules and we jumped in.

I've pre-ordered SK#3 and would much prefer to learn vehicles from it. However, I've jumped in with both feet, whenever I can get a reasonable price, and have purchased Beyond Valor, Paratroopers, Last Hurrah, Yanks, Partisan, Pegasus Bride, Action Pack #2, and Jatkosota.

The biggest hinderance to move into ASL is obviously the cost. I'm really interesting in the PTO and the cost of obtaining the Japanese OOB is price prohibitive now. I suppose VASL is the best way to get around not having certain counters and maps. However, you still need the new rules introduced by modules no longer available.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To some extent I will be moving to full ASL, the progress will be baby steps. I stared with ASLSK #1 - infantry and light support weapons, then proceeded with ASLSK #2 - guns and mortars and now I'm slowly moving toward ASLS #3 - tanks. I also bought full ASLRBv2, BV3, Yanks, For King and Country, SASL, Red Barricades and some other HASLs. I like the level of detail from rules perspective of ASLSK. However ASLSK world only has small selection of guns; so I use pretty much most of the guns from full ASL in my scenarios, I also I prefer to use the full ASL ordnance rules and tables. As times goes on I will add more features from full ASL, however the process will be more gradual. One thing for sure I won't touch in full ASL is, infantry and vehicle bypass movement...don't need that kind of level of detail. OBA will be tough thing to crack...however perhaps I can start with a simple version before using the full rules for OBA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.