Subject: What use is an obelisk? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Glassco
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Of what use is an obelisk? It can’t participate in any attack schemes since it can’t reflect at all. It can save the pharaoh once by stepping in front of the beam, but then it’s killed and the pharaoh is in the same pickle as before, except that it can move sideways into the place where the obelisk was. But how is that different than not having the obelisk there in the first place? So what is it good for? FLip side of the same question: is there any point to killing an opponent's obelisk if you can? Maybe leaving it there to restrict the pharah's movement is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Byzewski
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree, the Obelisk is somewhat that of a null piece in the game, and moving it is kind of a pointless move. They are for defense purposes only, and they only act as blockades basically. One of the strategies I can see where they can come into play is where it takes your opponent extra turns to kill them off to get at your pharoah, and meanwhile on your turn you are getting extra shots at his pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They also take up a space, defensively. But, I agree. They're not a lot of good. I think that any board set up should have them surrounding the Pharaoh (just like the classic set up) and you'll really never see them moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flynn
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I see them as serving as a warning alert to an unwary player. Once you see it get smoked you are alerted to an imminent danger to your pharoh. I also think it helps soften the learning a curve a bit by offering protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goldsmith
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
They totally fixed this in khet, with stacked obelisks. Now they gain you time -- an important element of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.