Subject: How about a stupidity 'Check'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Glassco
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
In all five games I’ve played or watched so far, the game was lost when the loser overlooked the winning move and didn’t defend against it. In fact, the loser sometimes inadvertently made the winning move possible with his last move. Boom, the pharaoh’s hit, the game’s suddenly over. That never happens in chess. In chess the attacker must say “check”, and if there is any legal move to defend the king, the defender must make it. I’m wondering if there could be an analogous feature for Deflexion, so that you lose only if there are no possible defensive moves, not because you failed to see one possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ocssalg wrote:
In fact, the loser sometimes inadvertently made the winning move possible with his last move.

This is kind of a discovered check, and no need to call it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jones
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When they do the new version or expansion, I think they should have a piece with a mirror that angles up so that when the laser is fired, it hits the other player in the eye. That would rule and add a whole new layer of strategy to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this happens to us also. the only solution is to look at the paths to your pharoah and work backwards from it - this helps check to see if your move will threaten you and also spot the oppositions possible response to hit your pharoah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear theres an expansion planned with a beam splitter and 1 way mirror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d clunie
United States
san jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please say aloud. "This is NOT Chess!" If your looking for a game experience like chess, where you and your opp are evenly matched so the match takes forever, which can be fun in its own right, then skip this game. If your both evenly matched in this game then plan to have a fun.

If you are looking for a fun, quick game, with a little thinking involved, and want to play with lazers, then by all means pick up this game. It's reasonaly priced too and the pieces and board is of high quality.

You won't see any deflexion grandmasters facing off of a "blue woo hoo" anytime soon.

Most of the reviews i've read haven't mentioned much about the fact that djed's can be used to "switch" places between itself and another piece(except for the oblisk's and pharaohs So i think a lot of people underestimate that value and power of those pieces and tend to leave them as is except for a bit of rotating.

anyways i enjoy the game and plan on picking up the expansion when it's out:The Eye of Horus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I've played one game that was on the path to being like a chess game. We went a lot of moves without losing any pieces. I felt like I was moving in to pinning my opponent's pharaoh down. Then I made a move that allowed my opponent to get my pharaoh in the next move.

I like the idea of having a "check", but I tried it. It didn't work very well. In some cases, while thinking about my turn, I'll see a way to get the pharaoh I didn't see before. So I should have declared check on the turn before. So we'd have to back up a turn and a half, if we even remember my opponent's last move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
treece keenes wrote:
this happens to us also. the only solution is to look at the paths to your pharoah and work backwards from it - this helps check to see if your move will threaten you and also spot the oppositions possible response to hit your pharoah

I like it. That's like how you look for check in Chess. You don't look at every piece and what it can take. You look from the king orthogonally and diagonally for bishops, rooks, and the queen; at a knight move for knights, and immediately around for pawns or the king.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ron lee)
United States
baton rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Agreeing with a comment above: checking for "check" in a chess game is easy--you look down the lines of attack for your pieces and see if the king is in the way for any of them.

In contrast, in Khet, you have to check all possibilities for how your pieces move before you can claim check--it's not simply looking down "lines of attack".

A "required check" rule in Khet would require the same effort for players as a "required 'check in 2'" rule in Chess. It's impractical.

And echoing another comment--this is not chess--I don't think it would be very much fun trying to omit stupid-player error. Making mistakes with your laser bouncing, surprising your opponent with a wacky bounce is the fun of the game. I doubt the game has enough depth that you would want to make it a game of pure intellectual showmanship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Calhoun
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
From my pov, the stupid move is part of the entertainment... I had a pretty good laugh when my son blasted his own pharoh by accident. We do play pretty quickly, so its very possible when you are focused on an offensive game, and getting set up for the kill. Unfortunately, he had a pretty good laugh at my expense as well when I did the same.

We just got our beam splitters today, I imagine that will make it even more likely!

jc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.