Subject: Settlers of Catan question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Estrada
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
I have never seen two sixes fall next to each other. Not to say it isn't possible though, what to do if this happens.(we're using the 5-6 expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are using the recommended layout system, where you spiral in the numbers according to the letters on them, then there will never be two sixes next to each other, or two eights.

In any case, don't worry about it. Just lay down the number discs as the rules say and the board will work out right. It's a pretty clever system IMHO.

There are some Seafarers scenarios where it is possible to have two sixes next to each other, but the rules for the scenario tell you how to handle that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I don't think you should be able to have two 6s next to each other. The numbers have to be laid out on the hexes in a prescribed order, not randomly. That prevents this sort of problem from happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Estrada
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
Thank you

We are also using the "Volcano" variant we removed a land tile randomly and place the "Volcano" now this tile gives "gold"(everybody's choice),
the game gets very tight(we liked it) but nobody wants to place cities or settlements near the volcano.

What if the "Volcano" could give 2 resources instead of 1. Would that help the game or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make up whatever rules you want in your games, but smart players build on the volcano in spite of the risk. A city/sett on the volcano will get (on average) 6 gold for every demotion. And that doesn't count the resources from the other 0,1, or 2 hexes that the city is on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
What's the risk of building a settlement or city on a volcano? I don't think I've played any scenarios with a volcano yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Estrada
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools

if the number on the Volcano is rolled the Volcano is activated, then u roll a single dice(the volcano has 1-6 little numbers on each corner)
if you have a settlement on the corner(on the volcano tile) and matches the number on the single dice it's destroyed, and if u have a city it's reduced to a settlement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Does the Volcano produce gold before or after it erupts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcMagus wrote:
Interesting. Does the Volcano produce gold before or after it erupts?

Before.

To answer the question about the 6s, the Seafarers scenarios make it clear that two red numbers should never end up next to each other; if you're putting the numbers out randomly and this happens, set the second number aside and draw a new one. (My group also adds the restriction that the same number can't be on adjacent hexes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:

To answer the question about the 6s, the Seafarers scenarios make it clear that two red numbers should never end up next to each other; if you're putting the numbers out randomly and this happens, set the second number aside and draw a new one. (My group also adds the restriction that the same number can't be on adjacent hexes.)

I also use that rules (both of them) AND 2 and 12 may not be adjacent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.