Subject: Relationship to VG's "The Civil War"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Stokes
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
I played this game for the first time last weekend, and I couldn't help noticing this game's astonishingly close resemblance to VG's "The Civil War". So much so that I think I did much better than I would otherwise have done because of my familiarity with "The Civil War". Now, I'm not alleging plagiarism, since there are plenty of interesting mechanics in "For the People", (I think "The Civil War" could use some political events and a strategic will track) but does anyone know which game came first, and whether one was developed out of the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
glasper wrote:
I played this game for the first time last weekend, and I couldn't help noticing this game's astonishingly close resemblance to VG's "The Civil War". So much so that I think I did much better than I would otherwise have done because of my familiarity with "The Civil War". Now, I'm not alleging plagiarism, since there are plenty of interesting mechanics in "For the People", (I think "The Civil War" could use some political events and a strategic will track) but does anyone know which game came first, and whether one was developed out of the other?

The Civil War came first, by around 10 years I suspect.

You really think the two games are similar? I can't think of any similarities, apart from scale (cards vs no cards, hex vs point to point, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Civil War" was developed MANY (fifteen) years before "For the People."

FTP was based off Mark Herman's game system originally developed for the Revolutionary War game "We the People." It was one of the last games the old Avalon Hill published (in 1998), and has been released in a new version by GMT: http://members.tripod.com/~MarkHerman/ftphome.html

I don't really see many similarities either. The WTP/FTP game system is also used for "Hannibal:Rome vs. Carthage" and less famously, "Successors."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Herman who designed For The people was in charge of Victory Games when Civil War was published. When he decided to make his own Civil War game years later using the card based system he created for We The People he took some things created for Eric Smith's Civil War (especially the way generals were used) and incorporated it into his own game. This was done with full knowledge and approval of Eric Smith. So if you see similarities between the two games it is no accident. For The People indeed owes a great deal of it's developement to Eric Smith's previous game.

Eric Smith by the way is a member of BGG and gives For The People a perfect 10 rating saying "This is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest board wargames of all time." I happen to agree with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, Eric Smith is a great man and clearly knows what he is talking about. I was one of the main playtesters on VGs Civil War and I would say I avoided some aspects of VGs Civil War (Union general's old age home), but I did not incorporate any of its systems per se, except the use of Army displays. All ACW games have named generals with ratings, so that is not unique to Eric's design masterpiece. The general system for FTP is actually an integral portion of the card activation system ala WTP and ties into my Strategic Will mechanic (through the P rating that is not in any game on this topic). The most influential game on the Civil War for me was Dunnigan's S&T jewel, American Civil War, which has influenced most ACW games that came afterward either consciously or unconsciously. The part of the game that I almost used was the unnamed general system from that game, but in the end I went for named leaders.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I have not played this, but have both. The only thing that I think I would miss in this game from VG's Civil War would be the naval units that the Union has. But still haven't played this one.

Jason
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.