Popular Tags: recommendations [+] germany [+] [View All]
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be taking a vacation to Germany and France in May, and I was wonder what I should pick up that I can't get in the U.S. yet? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P FZB
France
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,
I would say a game called Himalaya (previously merchants of empire).
The rules in english (which wasthe prototype for Himalaya) can be dowloaded from BGG.

hopethis will help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
I'll be taking a vacation to Germany and France in May, and I was wonder what I should pick up that I can't get in the U.S. yet? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi Todd,

I have a friend travelling to Germany next month, and I have asked her to look for the following five games:

1) Die Macher - On the off chance it's available somewhere there for a reasonable price, I'd absolutely love to have a copy.

2) Wallenstein - I know it'll be reprinted as Shogun eventually, but I'd rather have the original, and gather it's not too difficult to find there.

3) Taj Mahal - I know this one will supposedly be reprinted as well too, but having the original Alea version would be very nice.

4) Elfengold - Probably not going to see this, but I'd love the expansion for Elfenland without paying for transatlantic shipping.

5) Mississippi Queen: Black Rose - Also interested in this expansion.

I know there are other games that people recommend looking for in Germany, but I can't recall them right now. I'm sure others will come along and suggest more stuff, certainly more than you could ever hope to fit in your suitcase. Have a good trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Medici - if you like the Asmodee version

Jungle Speed L'Expansion - if you like Jungle Speed

Shazamm! - if you like two player games with simultaneous choices.

Some Canadian stores have these as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Thommy8 wrote:

2) Wallenstein - I know it'll be reprinted as Shogun eventually, but I'd rather have the original, and gather it's not too difficult to find there.

Sadly Wallenstein is oop and by now very hard to find over here as well.

Dune by Avalon Hill is reported still to be in print in a french version. But I assume you won´t find it just sitting on a store shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom, Todd,

Don't know the particulars of the holidays discussed, but if you will be visiting friends/relatives, here's my suggestion. I'll try to keep this somewhat abbreviated.

1) Discuss the following with your friends/relatives and make sure that they're signed up for this ahead of time, so that they will continue to communicate with you long after your trip is over.

2) Spend some time on Ebay looking for items that you want where the seller doesn't ship outside of Europe, or where they are just so big or heavy that the items will cost a fortune to ship back to the US. For the German postal system, the key seems to be to keep it under 2kg. Do this a couple of months in advance so that you aren't rushed, and have them shipped to the local in country address. I try only to do this with sellers who sell a lot of items to help minimize hangups. I also had someone in country paying for the items with local bank transfers which was asking a lot, but knocked a big roadblock out of the way for the sellers who wouldn't take Paypal.

3) There are a lot of great games available that are out of print but for various reasons much easier to aquire in Europe than in the US. Carabande and Wallenstein are examples.

3) Take over empty suitcase(s) or equivalent. What I did was to purchase some 12 gallon plastic storage totes from Costco. I also put them in duffels on my return trip to keep them from prying eyes. I'd suggest locking the duffels with security. Since there's no metal in most games it shouldn't cause issues. I didn't lock mine and when I got home I was missing my shrink-wrapped copy of Chinatown. I'm not saying that it was definitely pilfered in transit, but I've spent a lot of time trying to come up with where it went to, and the case remains unsolved.

Other than my one game that disappeared I was very happy. I also made some friends happy by bringing back such items as Fiese Freunde Fette Feten.

Someday there may be a thread, "Games I made my dear sainted mother carry back from Germany", but that's another story. More than one of my friends was horrified, but my mom is a trooper. (Remember I used the plural, totes, above.) The good news is that my niece will be coming over this summer, and I'm already lining things up for my game mule to bring. So far I have managed to remain on good terms with everyone, though I have heard the word 'obsessive' muttered.

This may be way off track, but I thought I'd throw it out as a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like there are a lot of great recommendations. So far, it seems like Himalaya is the best choice so far. Keep the recommendations coming. I'd like to hear more of them.

Unfortunately, I don't have any relative in Europe, so I can't pull off the recommended plan. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I just realized that Traumfabrik should be on your list. The new version won't use real movie stars/names, so the German version should be popular long after the English version comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubongo looks very interesting. I'll check it out. Also, I've been looking at Die Macher, and that looks really interesting. However, the only people I have to play boardgames with are my wife or an RPG group I meet with sometimes. I don't think either would like it. I need to network more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renate T.
msg tools
Hi,
have a look at www.brettspielsuche.de. You'll find the most popular online shops for board games in Germany. I'm sure some of them will be happy to retain games for you that you have paid for in advance (i.e. master card) and your can pick them up while travelling in the region. I'm not familiar with all of them but I know for sure that magnus-spiele has a store in town as well.
Or you post in the forum at www.spielbox-online.de asking for recommendations for stores quoting your route.
Sorry, this is not a suggestion what to buy, but how to handle. I myself ordered games in a store in Ontario (Cad), paid in advance and my relatives will bring them during their visit - unless they didn't suffer a heartache realizing the games' size.
Good luck !
Renate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If buying in France, I can recommend -

Red Hot Silly Dragon - Cheap and Cheerful

Dungeon Twister & its many, many expansions.

Medici

Ticket to Ride (Les Aventuriers du Rail) Marklin Edition is available in the next couple of days.

Aqueduct is good fun too

Deluxe Camping has been getting good write-ups but I haven't played it yet.

I hope you pick up something good.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Germany some six months ago, and I picked up 16 games. Most of them were incredible bargains.

Look for games that are more or less language-independant ( You'll easily find rules-translations, but if the games have many cards with loads of text in a language you and your players do not read/speak fluently, it can easily slow down the game, or lead to prohibited/wrong moves/actions.

Look around for games that are not translated and published near you or games that are just too cheap to not pick up...
That's my advice...

Cheese!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good advice. Thanks. One more thing. I'll be travelling with just a carry-on bag, so I probably won't be carrying any games with me. Are the German and French postal rates reasonable? I'm presently living in Japan, so I'll be shipping from Europe to Japan. I'm thinking it might be a little expensive, so I'm probably going to limit myself to two or three games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renate T.
msg tools
Hi,
probably it'll be easier to ask one of the online-shops to take care of the shipment. I do not know the rates in detail, however, two to three board games will be handled as 'parcel' which will come up at about EUR 25,-.
Good luck !
Renate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.