Subject: a good house rule for game end rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
A comment quite commonly heard is that there is often kingmaking or stalling at game end because of the ability of steamboats to push each other. To counter this problem, some have suggested that the best rule is to allow steamboats to enter a finish space at any speed, as long as it's by an exact count.

This solution does solve the problem, but it seems somewhat anti-climactic. It's also somewhat unthematic and takes away the imperative for someone to have enough coal to adjust his or her speed at the end.

My alternative suggestion is the following rule: No pushing is allowed in the finish spaces or in any space that is one hex away from the finish spaces; in order to win, as in the regular rules, you have to end your turn with a speed of one at a finish space.

One could conceive of this rule as a sportsmanship rule by the race organizers. I think it should be enough to prevent any kingmaking or stalling at game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a lot of comments about this kind of thing happening, but I've never actually seen it occur. On occasion, we'll have a little bumping at the end, but not so much as to be seen as a problem. Maybe the folks I play with are just different

Of course, it seems you have a reasonable solution if you do have this type of behaviour as a problem. I'm kind of with you on the finishing at full speed -- that just seems really wrong. If I were going to change the rules, I think I would rather play your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilari Kajaste
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually came up with the exact same house rule for Mississippi Queen finish spaces. I've explained that you can't do pushing there since there is a lot of audience watching and they wouldn't approve of such behavior.

I also have a picture of the ending pushfest occurring (in an actual game session). Should I upload it to BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a relatively elegant solution to a problem that has never really happened in our games. It's easy to define AND thematic("don't push in front of the spectators").

Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Mitchell
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Http:\\www.kieronmitchell.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This has happened in every one of our games (as far as I remember). I'll try out your variant - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Winter
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting to give this game another try because I actually like it a lot EXCEPT that the end game is such a brawl. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how groups DON'T run into this problem.

I'm excited about your suggestion here and will try it out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.